Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

1.8 tddi (90) dashes on mileage and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 22-11-2011, 11:57 PM
ShavedApe
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8 tddi (90) dashes on mileage and wont start

There are a couple of things that have happened leading up to this current issue and they may well be linked or even help diagnosis so im including them.

Car is an Focus 03 plate TDDI 90

A couple of weeks ago maybe more I found occasionally the idle speed at lights etc was a little fast but was intermittent and I of course tried lifting the pedal etc.

That fault hadnt gone but since then more recently I think 3 times the glow plug light has flashed and there is no throttle response at all turn off the car and back on and all is fine.

Until the other day I took it to a m8 of mine that does a few repairs hoping he would have a clue what the prob was and he plugged in a little scanner to read fault codes I guess and the car will no longer start at all not actually sure he even got to plug in his code reader before this problem happened but its possible.

Turn the key and all I see is dashes on the mileage (--- ---- ---) and a couple lights that dont usually illumiate at all. The car doesnt turn over or even make a sound at all. All electrics seem to work fine but the car will not turn over at all it doesnt even try.

Any help on this would be appreciated I am desperate here I am self employed and need this car to work and without it I am not earning so getting desperate.

Last edited by ShavedApe; 23-11-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 23-11-2011, 07:27 PM
cossienutter
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Not sure about the idle issue but I have had the dashes appear in the little lcd window where the mileage is normally displayed.

Car is like it's immobilised as it won't crank and the little red led light above the clock stays on when turning the key in the ignition as if you were going to start it.

The AA man couldn't find the fault either however I eventually tracked the fault down.

Open the bonnet, the fuse box is located in front of the scuttle on the passenger side of the engine bay.

Underneath the fuse box there are two multi plugs that are push fitted into the fuse box. These multi plugs contain all the wires from the fuse box that supply the whole car.

One of the multi plugs contains the wiring that goes to the grey relay in the fuse box which is the mains power to the ecu. This is the multi plug that had the fault on my car. Nothing wrong with the wiring in the plug however when the plug is push fitted into the fuse box the loom is under a lot of tension which created a connection fault on one of the wires into the fuse box.

So, easy way to see if the same problem is what you are experiencing is:

1) Release both plugs from the bottom of the fuse box by holding the body of the plug and pulling them straight down, you'll have to remove the air pipe from the air box to get your hands underneath the fuse box
2) Wiggle both plugs, you may experience some clicking noises (relay chatter)
3) This is a good time to have someone else sitting in the car with the ignition on to tell you when the dashes disappear and the mileage numbers re appear. Once the numbers re appear you should then be able to start the car.
4) You may wish to disconnect both plugs clean them up, use some contact spray etc
5) Job done, however I didn't push fit the plugs back into the fuse box, i tie wrapped them out the way of any water ingress but made sure the wiring loom to the fuse box was not under tension

Hope that helps

Matt
Old 23-11-2011, 08:49 PM
ShavedApe
Virgin

you described my issue exactly except my red light flashes before I turn the key every 2 seconds or so but with key in nothing it doesnt even come on, I have had an auto electrician have a look at the car and he says the ecu gone so I guess ill have to replace that. I just worry that once i do that ill be told its the pump and so on so frustrating.

Thanks for the info though Matt I will be sure to give that a try in the morning when it gets light.
Old 23-11-2011, 09:09 PM
cossienutter
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by ShavedApe
you described my issue exactly except my red light flashes before I turn the key every 2 seconds or so but with key in nothing it doesnt even come on, I have had an auto electrician have a look at the car and he says the ecu gone so I guess ill have to replace that. I just worry that once i do that ill be told its the pump and so on so frustrating.

Thanks for the info though Matt I will be sure to give that a try in the morning when it gets light.
I'd be surprised if it's the ECU as never heard of that before.
At least the checks i've listed above won't cost you a penny.
Check the relays in the fuse box too, they are all labelled in the lid of the box however from memory the ECU relay is grey.
The fault with the dashes is definitely electrical / immobiliser.
Old 24-11-2011, 01:02 PM
ShavedApe
Virgin

OK update on this today the car decided to just start working again I have no idea why but it works again I did nothing at all to help it.

I was told by a mechanic that its possible when the first mechanic plugged in his code reader he may of caused issues with the ecu as generic readers tend not to work so well with fords it would appear at this point he may be right about that. Im just happy to see my car running again I fee like I have a life and a job again

Last edited by ShavedApe; 25-11-2011 at 08:51 AM.