Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus mk1 tddi No power to glow plugs poor cold start

Search this Thread

Old 19-11-2011, 02:46 PM
columbus autos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus mk1 tddi No power to glow plugs poor cold start

Focus Diesel 1999 tddi being a right pain in the arse with cold starts and battery drain. Checked the battery discovered the car was running a battery with far to lower cranking amps so appropriate new battery fitted 650 cca 70 ahr.
Car was still running battery down quickly and struggling to start, no parasitic drains found so tested starter circuit to find to much current draw from starter. Replaced the starter and wiring with a second hand setup from a local scrap yard to have the car starting easily when warm.
Problem is that i have no power to the glow plugs the relays have all been changed/checked (all three in the fuse board) but i have no power to the heater plugs or their loom. Is there a seperate timer controller aswell as the three relays can't get my autodata to work properly at the moment.
Also cylinder head temperature sensor controls the heater circuit via the ecu from what i have found out. Where is this sensor located on the tddi engine not obvious from engine bay maybe from underneath?

The glow plug light on the dash only ever illuminates for about 1-2 seconds and during this time i see 0 voltage at the plugs.
I had to get the thing going this morning by jumping power to the heater plug circuit. The plugs were all changed 2 days ago so they are good their is an error in the control circuits but tracing the wiring diagrams is proving harder than expected.
Any help greatly appreciated i am getting to the end of my tether here and there is no info available on the web for the fault finding of this fault i see someone else here has had the same problem but had no reply's.
If i could find the head temp sensor and disconnect to see if the glow plugs recieve voltage when no temp signal is recieved i could at least rule that out. thanks
Old 19-11-2011, 05:03 PM
columbus autos

I've checked out tolerance and autodata and have some resistance checks to do on the cylinder head temp sensor turns out that this is an oil temp sensor unless the sensor was still oilled from a recent oil cooler incident (pulled the sensor out earlier then decided it must have been an oil pressure reference switch and put it back).
Too dark now to do the checks as it has to be done in situ
To anyone who doesn't know where this sensor is on the tddi engine its on the n/s of the head inline with the battery tray very close to a breather from memory not lookin at the car now.
Might grab a photo tomorrow to illustrate for other users.
cheers
Old 15-12-2011, 07:28 PM
columbus autos

Should have updated this a while ago got the battery tester on and found high resistance in the starter wiring and starter replaced both with second hand parts(wiring and starter). Battery and cranking issues sorted and a set of glow plugs jobs a good en. CHT sensor was gummed up from a previous oil cooler issue so after a clean all was well.
cheers people
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Dawson Bullock

I know this post is old but... You have removed the oil pressure switch!! The CHT is BELOW the one you removed.