Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus TDDI Little End Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM
cossienutter
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus TDDI Little End Failure

Hi, i could do with some help.

I've got a Focus TDDI (X/2000) that has suffered the dreaded little end failure.
Engine is out and stripped, new rods purchased etc and it's all ready to go back together.

Problem 1 - I made sure all pistons were laid out etc so I know where everything goes back however what I didn't notice upon removing the pistons is that the piston crown is slightly off set around the swirl pot on the top of the piston. I believ this is to aid fuelling etc. The piston can clearly go back in the bore one of only two ways. On closer inspection the piston crowns all have a factory mark (it's like a little dash) however which way round do the pistons go back in the bore? With the dash closer the to the bulk head or closer to the front panel?

Problem 2 - The bottom end caps all have a notch in them however do all these notches point in the same direction towards the Flywheel or the Diesel Pump? Once again, I believe the bottom end caps can go one of two ways.

These are things I should have noted when I took it apart but I didn't.

Hopefully someone on here has had the same experience.

Thanks in advance - Matt
Old 09-11-2011, 07:36 AM
cossienutter
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorted, marks on the pistons nearest to the front of the engine and notches on the con rod caps all point towards the cambelt end (front) of the engine.