Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Replacing the EGR - Devils own work!

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2011, 03:26 PM
-AJ
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the EGR - Devils own work!

Okay - So after hunting around I've managed to aquire myself a nice shiny new inlet manifold for my 2005 TDCI Focus, after having issues with loss of power and 'kangarooing' when going up hills or anything else that puts the engine under load - Complete with lots of smoke etc.

Today I decided was going to be the day for fitting - However I completely forgot about the removing of the exhaust bit... So i stripped down the top of the engine - to get to said manifold - and then looked down and noticed all the lower bolts under the exhaust manifold.

Couldn't put the car up on ramps as it wasn't possible to start it - as it was all in bits! The EGR cooler thingymabob is full of carbon too so I'm going to hazard a guess it's definitely the EGR that is going to be the problem - that coupled with my mechanic telling me it was going to need replacing soon on my last visit after it lost power before.

So the question is - has anybody done this who can tell me how to remove the exhaust manifold, turbo and anything else that has to come off to get to the inlet manifold? Is it easy enough to do? My Mechanic said he'd want AT LEAST £150 to do this because apparently the bolts have a habbit of shearing off..is this true? If so should I leave it to a pro? From the top I can't see how the manifold and all associated gubbins for the exhaust actually comes off.. Hence my asking on here...

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 AM
mgbglasgow
Virgin

hi bud,

been there, mines all full of gunk, no power,

i bought a can of boost cleaner and sprayeds it in inlet hose for ages, and it helped for about 2 months. then probs came back,

looked about on web about blanking it off, as i saw it was a major job. I got a small piece of stainless steel, took off the small egr pipe at base of EGR assembly, got a piece of cardboard of crispy packet cereal, and transfered the markings it had left as a template to the steel for a blanking washer. Fitted it, and the car has never been quicker!. 110 +

dont be scared of doing this, loads of blogs about codes/lower intake temp etc. there is far mor things going on in the engine than that.

Clean out all pipes as best as possible, spray in some cleaner, blank the wee pipe off. and forget about it. Also, the cleaner stuff is a fortune, i went to local conveneince shop and sprayed in half a can of oven cleaner. £3.00. job done

stevie
Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 AM
mgbglasgow
Virgin

not here to make money, but can supply the washer for £3.00 inc pandp,

it is easy enough to make though

stevie
Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 AM
reiksen racing
no reel power just turbo

Hi,
the only lasting solution is to clean everything with intake, and block the EGR system. EGR is the biggest enemy to every engine ..
Old 04-10-2011, 07:51 AM
mgbglasgow
Virgin

it makes you wonder what engineer thought EGR would be a good idea. I bet he cycles to work,

stevie