Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

Powertrain Warning Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2014, 08:37 PM
xchristinex
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrain Warning Light Issue

hi I have a 57 fiesta zetec s and my powertrain warning light has came on flashing, when I start it beeps with a red light and says there is an engine system fault. I have just taken it into ford dealership and they tested it and said its my glowplugs but I never got it sorted because I was putting it through its mot. They also charged me £72 to upgrade some engine software before they could diagnose it? never heard of it before! anyway it seems to be starting fine but its like the car is in limp mode because its not as nippy as it is meant to be. I have been quoted £15 each for 4 plugs and one hours labour does this sound right or can I get them cheaper elsewhere?
Old 23-01-2014, 09:12 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

If they've gone through SBD (symptom based diagnostics, which is basically web based Ford diagnostic program) , there might have been a mandatory PCM calibration, but if out of warranty they should have asked you if you want it doing, not just done it anyway.

Glo-plugs sound about right. On the modern stuff if a glo-plug circuit fault it can put them into limp mode.

They're not the easiest to get to on those engines, so an hours labour is fair imo.
Old 23-01-2014, 09:36 PM
xchristinex
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they said they had to recalibrate it because it was out of date and they wouldnt let it read the code and couldnt investigate further they did ask me and kept me updated with prices before they would do more which was good cos most garages dont!

oh well looks like i will need to get that sorted because my car isnt picking up speed!

thing is i put it into ford for a service 2 weeks ago then my battery light came on then this powertrain light starts flashing and mot due so its never ending and just costing money it already cost me £300 n it was going to be an extra £140 to sort the glo plugs so told them to stop there will need to see if my local garage can do a bit cheaper!
Old 23-01-2014, 09:44 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Sounds like they've gone in on SBD then, basically you connect the diag tool to the car, go into a web based program, once it connects to the car, it reads all the modules in the car, and makes sure they're up-to-date. As I say, if there's a later calibration (software) for anything it may not let you continue to do anything else.

Yeh, until the glo-plug fault is cured you will be going steady..