Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

Ford techs - Fiesta ASM issue

Search this Thread

Old 19-01-2014, 08:36 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Ford techs - Fiesta ASM issue

Have been looking at a 2006 Fiesta ASM issue, it's a driving school car for Auto licence.

Basically, once warm (it's fine for the 1st 10 mins of driving) and in auto mode about 1 in every 5 attempts, when it's shifting from 2nd to 3rd it doesn't engage 3rd straight away,it comes out of 2nd then is inbetween gears, takes a few seconds then it will eventually drop into 3rd.

If you use the manual mode I've never had it play up in that, just the auto mode.

I've done the transmission learn procedure in IDS but problem remains.

Thing I can't get my head round is I spoke to Ford technical about it, they suggest the 3rd/4th gear selector fork is damaged (bent) in the gearbox.

Surely if the selector fork is bent, it's bent all the time, and as the manual mode uses all the same mechanisms to shift the gears, it should play up in that too, not just the auto mode?

I'm a bit reluctant to advise a box strip on it.

Unless anyone else has had same issue and it was a selector fork issue?

Last edited by GVK.; 19-01-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 19-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do have pump/ecu issues but tbh I ain't been asked for one for a while so must be a aftermarket alternative

Speak to a decent gearbox place

Russ at RS Transmissions in Harrow is a very good gearbox place but doubt he can diagnose on phone and he is a bit far,,,, but he is the best I know of and ain't a cowboy either as he buys genuine parts and knows he way around a lot of boxes,,, diagnosed my Clio box issue over the phone but I had a common prob
Old 19-01-2014, 09:03 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We do manual gearbox repairs 'in house' so don't farm out gearbox jobs generally, just never heard of this particular issue before. Might be worth a call to a local place I can think of, cheers.

Most common fault is the linkages get seized then burns out the ECU, then it's stuck in gear and won't start.

Have heard of some being converted to manual, but not an option on this as it's a driving school car for auto licences.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:29 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only gonna be sticking linkage on the box, (pull the motor off and see if its all free?!)

or the motor id say!

only way to tell would be get it on a 2 poster and `scope it really mate

** just googled pictures of the mechanism...... i bet one of the motors (WIPER MOTORS!!) is all gunked up inside and rotten......... must be!
Old 19-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

motors (actuators) would get my vote

stupid question but the slave isnt leaking is it? maby worth a pressure bleed up???

Last edited by Cossie Sean; 19-01-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:33 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it played up in both auto and manual mode I would agree that it's probably a sticking linkage issue, but it's mint in manual mode, never an issue, goes up and down the box perfectly.

No mechanical link on the gearshift, the lever just has hall switches under there.

Only plays up in auto mode between 2nd and 3rd, occasionally.
Old 19-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

gotta be the control unit then
Old 24-01-2014, 06:36 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Update on this, it started playing up more often in both auto & manual modes, eventually to the point of not changing at all and 'transmission malfunction' message on dash.

Had a code in TCM for a gear control error, description advised replacement of gearshift actuators. (£600+)

Stripped the old unit and the pin that actuates the fore>aft gear selection is very tight in the housing, the pin runs through some plastic bushes, you could probably ream these out for a cheap fix...but be aware that when you take the motor off the gear falls out, and if you don't get it back in the right place the thing won't work anyway...

So fitted the new assembly today, carried out transmission learn on IDS.

Sorted!
Old 24-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Cossie Sean
big floppy donkey dick

scweet

was just wondering on outcome today actually!