Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

Fiesta seat Help

Old 22-02-2009, 12:55 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fiesta seat Help

Does anyone know how to remove/replace the handle that allows the seat to lift up on a 2007 ford fiesta?

My mum broke it off her car and i cant seem to be able to get it off so i can fit a new one.

Here is a pic of the broken one on the seat.

Name:  DSC00192-1.jpg
Views: 6106
Size:  101.0 KB
Old 22-02-2009, 01:23 PM
ronf42
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i remember correctly , to remove the handle , I think that by putting a flat blade screwdriver down the sides will be enough to get it out. are you replacing the cable too or just the handle. be careful not to damage the cable housing though or it may not go back in properly. I have had to do this twice on my car.

i removed the old handle and undone the bottom clips for the cable

twist the metal ends of the cable out of their mounting point

twist the top part of the cable a half turn to dislodge it from the mount (at top of seat.)

tie a length of string to both end os the cable and pull out from the top

tie the string onto the new cable and pull back down

as halfords says refitting is the reversal of removal.

to engage the cable into the handle, i think i just closed the handle down and lifted it back up and it was located in place.

all in it should take no more than15 - 30 mins at most

Last edited by ronf42; 22-02-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 22-02-2009, 03:35 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by ronf42
if i remember correctly , to remove the handle you will have to lever the centre part out that has the cable attached to it, I think that by putting a flat blade screwdriver down the sides will be enough to get it out. are you replacing the cable too or just the handle. be careful not to damage the cable housing though or it may not go back in properly. I have had to do this twice on my car.

i removed the old handle and undone the bottom clips for the cable

twist the metal ends of the cable out of their mounting point

twist the top part of the cable a half turn to dislodge it from the mount (at top of seat.)

tie a length of string to both end os the cable and pull out from the top

tie the string onto the new cable and pull back down

as halfords says refitting is the reversal of removal.

to engage the cable into the handle, i think i just closed the handle down and lifted it back up and it was located in place.

all in it should take no more than15 - 30 mins at most
At the min the handle isnt attached. Its the part in the picture that is broken that holds the actually handle. The cable is still fine. I cant seem to get the plastic part in the picture removed?
Old 22-02-2009, 05:42 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Take it to Ford and get a warrenty repair, let them do it.
Old 22-02-2009, 05:43 PM
daviddunlop83

They wouldnt cover it under warrenty when it was in for its first or second service
Old 22-02-2009, 06:11 PM
ronf42
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you may have to prise the handle away from the part that has the cable. the handle may have a plastic section on each side that clips onto the cable housing. in which case you will need a thin screwdriver. the area that the cable is settled in separate from the rest of the handle assemble.

I know you dont need to replace the cable but once the handle assembly is off, the cable section has to be twisted to be removed. as I say I have done it a couple of times, but I cannot remember exactly how it all comes apart
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Robbietutt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta broken seat lifter - FIXED

Hi - Just wanted to post a reply to this thread as it helped me.

I have the same problem with the broken seat lifter handle. And Ronine's about right - it took about 30 mins to fix. Wanted to post how i fixed it as I couldn't find anywhere on the net that did.

I have a 2005 Fiesta and I think the broken handle is pretty common.

I picked up a replacement part online for about £25 with VAT and delivery

To remove old one:

There's two clips that need to be squeezed in to take out the old one. A spare pair of hands will help for this too but I did manage it on my own.
  1. Get a pair of pliers and pull the cable out a bit via the nipple at the top
  2. Tie a piece of sting round the nipple - you should be able to pull this so you can lift the seat. (it's handy while waiting for the part to arrive!)
  3. The seat needs to be in a forward position so the cable is a bit loose.
  4. TAKE OFF THE HEAD REST! - took me ages to work out that was the angle I needed for the step 6!
  5. Get your fingers underneath the edge and apply some pressure as if you're trying to pull it out
  6. With a flat head screw driver or similar gently (don't rip the cloth) push the screw driver between the cloth and the plastic - first from the top (where the headrest used to be) - with a bit of fiddling you should feel the first half pop out a little.
  7. The clip on the bottom is reached from directly above (where the handle used to be) - Pop the screw driver in and twist it to remove the clip.
  8. If you have a look at the new part you should see the clips and be able to work it out.
  9. With a little fiddling - it should pop out!
Putting in the new one.

It's a bit of a funny set up - i expected it to be like a brake cable on a bike but the nipple of the cable doesn't have a specific clip to go in - it just sits in a kinda cup!
The below may not be the perfect way - but it worked for me...
  1. Carefully remove the new handle from the surround it sits in - i fitted the surround first then the actual handle. Watch out for the spring - you're going to need that!
  2. Slot the surround in to place making sure you can still see the nipple on the cable and that the string you tied to it in the first bit is not caught.
  3. Pull the string that is tied to the cable toward the back of the seat so it get's the nipple clear of the bottom and puts it in the right place to be picked up by the cup.
  4. Now clip the handle back in making sure the spring is 'sprung' - this bit was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end.
Once it's all clipped in - you should be there!!

Hope this helps someone! Like i said the forums really helped me actuall think i could fix it but there was no difinitive answer on how to fix it.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the input, hopefully help some other site people.
Old 15-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Justinb
Virgin

Originally Posted by wirralphil
Take it to Ford and get a warrenty repair, let them do it.

Fantastic if it's under warranty but even if it was you will probably find that "trim" will not be covered. You will be looking for a goodwill gesture on behalf of the dealer.
Old 15-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Justinb
Virgin

Originally Posted by Robbietutt
Hi - Just wanted to post a reply to this thread as it helped me.

I have the same problem with the broken seat lifter handle. And Ronine's about right - it took about 30 mins to fix. Wanted to post how i fixed it as I couldn't find anywhere on the net that did.

I have a 2005 Fiesta and I think the broken handle is pretty common.

I picked up a replacement part online for about £25 with VAT and delivery

To remove old one:

There's two clips that need to be squeezed in to take out the old one. A spare pair of hands will help for this too but I did manage it on my own.
  1. Get a pair of pliers and pull the cable out a bit via the nipple at the top
  2. Tie a piece of sting round the nipple - you should be able to pull this so you can lift the seat. (it's handy while waiting for the part to arrive!)
  3. The seat needs to be in a forward position so the cable is a bit loose.
  4. TAKE OFF THE HEAD REST! - took me ages to work out that was the angle I needed for the step 6!
  5. Get your fingers underneath the edge and apply some pressure as if you're trying to pull it out
  6. With a flat head screw driver or similar gently (don't rip the cloth) push the screw driver between the cloth and the plastic - first from the top (where the headrest used to be) - with a bit of fiddling you should feel the first half pop out a little.
  7. The clip on the bottom is reached from directly above (where the handle used to be) - Pop the screw driver in and twist it to remove the clip.
  8. If you have a look at the new part you should see the clips and be able to work it out.
  9. With a little fiddling - it should pop out!
Putting in the new one.

It's a bit of a funny set up - i expected it to be like a brake cable on a bike but the nipple of the cable doesn't have a specific clip to go in - it just sits in a kinda cup!
The below may not be the perfect way - but it worked for me...
  1. Carefully remove the new handle from the surround it sits in - i fitted the surround first then the actual handle. Watch out for the spring - you're going to need that!
  2. Slot the surround in to place making sure you can still see the nipple on the cable and that the string you tied to it in the first bit is not caught.
  3. Pull the string that is tied to the cable toward the back of the seat so it get's the nipple clear of the bottom and puts it in the right place to be picked up by the cup.
  4. Now clip the handle back in making sure the spring is 'sprung' - this bit was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end.
Once it's all clipped in - you should be there!!

Hope this helps someone! Like i said the forums really helped me actuall think i could fix it but there was no difinitive answer on how to fix it.

Good luck!
To actualy fit a new handle all you have to do is put the new one in place and push down to click in. You will not think this will work as you can't see how the handle will pick up the cable/metal bar but it does. It will take more like 30 seconds. Do not break the handle into 2 parts prior. This is not the way to do it.
Old 15-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Justinb
Virgin

To actualy fit a new handle all you have to do is put the new one in place and push down to click in. You will not think this will work as you can't see how the handle will pick up the cable/metal bar but it does. It will take more like 30 seconds. Do not break the handle into 2 parts prior. This is not the way to do it.
Old 18-01-2010, 12:41 PM
homerisawolvesfan
Virgin

Default Handle

Hi guys,

Can som,eone tell me where to get the actual handle......mechanism is working fine.....just the handle came off and spring has been lost.

Cheers!!
Old 18-01-2010, 12:43 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by homerisawolvesfan
Hi guys,

Can som,eone tell me where to get the actual handle......mechanism is working fine.....just the handle came off and spring has been lost.

Cheers!!

You will have to order it from ford.

Fiesta MK6-Seat Tilt Handle "Black" RH
Part Number: 1417520
Retail Price: £13.16

Last edited by daviddunlop83; 18-01-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM
tygger
Virgin

Default Seat handle release 3 door fiesta 54 plate

Guys, this is a doddle, if you know what you are doing. The 2 key important factors are a) remove the seat squab, and b), “unclasp” the front seat backing. This will allow access up the back of the seat and may enable you to unclip the cable holder, depending on your physical stature. I broke the handle off, because I didn’t know at that time to unclasp the seat backing.

1. Remove seat squab. This is done by removing the 2 bolts underneath the squab towards the front.
2. “Unclasp” the seat backing, at the lower part of the seat backing. This can be done by prising out one end of the clasp with a screwdriver, then peeling the whole lot out. Pull up to reveal the cables.
3. Unhook the cable/s ( if one end broken) at the lower part of the seat mechanism, via the now open seat bottom.
4. If possible, reach up underneath the seat backing to the handle. Feel for the 2 clips on either side, pinch and remove.
5. Twist the cable holder 90 degree clockwise at the seat metal shoulder, so as to remove upwards
6. Feed the new cable downwards. Reaching up through the seat backing will help here.
7. Attach the cable hooks, ensuring the right lengths (one is shorter than the other)
8. Ensure that the cable holder grooves are aligned with the metal seat shoulder. Twist through 90 degrees anti-clockwise, ensuring that the highest end is towards the back. I found plenty of Vaseline will ensure easing twist, with very gentle persuasion on both ends, with an open ended 15 mm spanners.
9. Push the (new) handle back in.
10. Replace squab and secure bolts.
11. Test.

Any problems mail me!
Old 14-11-2010, 04:26 PM
UK345

Originally Posted by tygger
Guys, this is a doddle, if you know what you are doing. The 2 key important factors are a) remove the seat squab, and b), “unclasp” the front seat backing. This will allow access up the back of the seat and may enable you to unclip the cable holder, depending on your physical stature. I broke the handle off, because I didn’t know at that time to unclasp the seat backing.
Hi there what is you mean by the seat squab ?
Old 21-06-2011, 04:01 PM
SDebock
Batman

Default Seat tilt broken

Hi. Iv been reading the thread to see how easy it would be to fix my problem myself. Both my driver and passenger seats will not tilt forward, I can see by looking at the cable either side of the chair that only one cable moves when the handle is lifted, if I get my fingers down there and pull the other side up the chair will tilt forward.

Ford quoted me a stupid price to fix the seat so was looking for some help on how to sort it. Cheers
Old 22-06-2011, 08:50 PM
tygger
Virgin

Hi there

Yes, sounds like cables broke on both. Common wear and tear.

Read through my step by step sequence above. If there's anything you don't understand, dont hesitate to ask.

Old 24-06-2011, 09:36 AM
scousy22
Virgin

Originally Posted by UK345
Hi there what is you mean by the seat squab ?
The bit where your backside goes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM
kipper485
Virgin

Default Seat handle release 3 door fiesta 54 plate

My driver's side tilt seat handle broke too... the slots which hold the lift handle cracked through plastic fatigue!

I read all the posts on the forums and spent about 5 hours trying to fit the replacement handle and surround.

First good advice was to take the seat out. I did so by removing the headrest, unclipping the electrical connector under the seat cushion at front left (passenger side) of seat and removing the 4 bolts holding the seat to the floor.

I removed the 2 10mm bolts at the front side of the seat cushion (the cushion I usually sit on!), and removed the cushion.

I followed various bits of advice recommending that the back of the seat should be peeled up to gain access to the 2 clips holding the seat handle surround into the seat frame. If the cable ain't broke, I won't bother in future!

It took me an hour to figure out how to separate the seat cover at the bottom. The two plastic strips are "U" shaped in cross section with one strip inverted along the inside of the other. I eventually found I was able to separate them by using a skewer bent at 90 degrees at the end which I hooked under the end of the inverted strip. I pulled the skewer upwards whilst using a flat head screwdriver to push down inside the end of the other strip. This separated the ends of the strip which I then pulled apart.

I pulled the seat cover off the foam as far as I could following the advice that it was a "doddle" to feel up the back of the seat and squeeze the clips holding the handle surround into the frame. I found that the route to the inside of the handle was obstructed by an impenetrable jumble of metalwork and stitching.

After the blood supply to my hand was restored, I replaced the seat cover, deciding that this operation would only be required if the cables had broken.

Further exploration around the plastic seat handle surround revealed that if I pushed down the seat cover and foam underneath the surround sufficiently, I could see a 20mm (approx) hole in the metal frame of the seat. I was successful in releasing one of the clips using a flat screwdriver through this hole, but not the other, thicker clip which I couldn't locate. In the end, I used a pair of tin snips and a hammer and chisel to split the old handle surround in half, being careful not to damage a small plastic block which holds the cable end and is not part of the handle surround. I eventually removed the old handle surround by destroying it piece by piece and removing the bits with a pair of long nosed pliers.

The new handle clipped easily in place, but, stupidly I followed the advice of a forum poster who claimed that the cable would automatically locate into place. It doesn't.

I tilted the seat forward using either pliers on the cable nipple to pull the cable, or did so by manually releasing both clips at the other end of the cables at the bottom of the seat. I unhooked both cables at the bottom of the seat. This gave maximum play in the cable at the top. Next time, I'll ensure the cable nipple is correctly located into its seating before pushing the handle surround into position, but this time I spent a further hour with my long nosed pliers trying to coax it into place, with eventual success.

I hope this helps other incompetent buffoons who are tempted to carry out the same repair.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM
scousy22
Virgin

Kipper, you dont have to remove the seat just to replace the handle.
it just pushes in and you twist the black block at the top end of the cable to secure.
I broke the handle when i had the seat out replacing the cable but i didnt replace it with the new one till the seat was fixed back in.
Sometimes its not enough just to read instructions, but you have to ask for help too. I made a few mistakes when i first tried it(fed the cable thru from the bottom, broke the handle clips etc).

This thread helped me and saved me money that arnold crook would quite happily have fleeced from me(claiming it was a couple of hours job).
Old 13-01-2012, 05:06 AM
kipper485
Virgin

"Kipper, you dont have to remove the seat just to replace the handle.
it just pushes in and you twist the black block at the top end of the cable to secure.
I broke the handle when i had the seat out replacing the cable but i didnt replace it with the new one till the seat was fixed back in."

You're right. But putting the new handle in wasn't the problem, it was getting the old handle surround out. Taking the seat out was a 5 minute job and enabled me to put the seat in any position I wanted in the light to see what I was doing.

"Sometimes its not enough just to read instructions, but you have to ask for help too."

There are several step by step instructions on various forums, but clearly some people give advice without having ever tackled the job themselves. My posting was to share my experience of actually doing the job, and to suggest that if one is unsuccessful in removing the old handle surround by any of the other postings in the forums, an option is to split the old one in half and remove it with pliers piece by piece.
Old 25-01-2012, 06:00 PM
howardwinton
Virgin

Default broken clip

Hi, I have ford fiesta zetec 2005 and the drivers seat Tilt handle for moving the seat forward to enable people to get into the rear seats has broken. I see Justin states on here just push the new tilt housing and it should snap into place. Howerver to remove the tilt and its housing do i just have to push the two clips either side to release or do i have to Grab the T bar sitting in the cup with pliers tie it of somewhere then remove the housing.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
raypam
Virgin

Default broken tilt handel

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Does anyone know how to remove/replace the handle that allows the seat to lift up on a 2007 ford fiesta?

My mum broke it off her car and i cant seem to be able to get it off so i can fit a new one.

Here is a pic of the broken one on the seat.

its easy if you look carefully at the new one, there are two spung clips that push down inside the seat push them in one at a time with a thin screwdriver, this might even break them off no matter. the wire you see stays in place, push new handel in job done (tip) make shaw seat is tilted before you start because the cable needs to be slak to accept new handel
Old 20-05-2012, 12:11 PM
raky25
Virgin

Default Request for images/video - ford tilt cable repair

Hello All, Thanks for good article, I have also ford fiesta finesse 3dr, 53 plate and broken tilt cable ( guess) but not sure how i can repair myself , as if i pull the seat lever the seat never goes forward- it will be great if any body can please share video /photo's - step by step approach to repair the same. it is left side and not the driver side i believe it may cost me 20-30 pounds if i do myself alternatively i have to pay 100 pounds which unfortunately i cannot afford at the moment.

Any help will be great as many people are suffering across the world. I have found some video in youtube where guy is complaining about the same issue & thought to share with you all.

You may search in youtube .
"FORD FIESTA Italy Serious Seats Problems, same in others."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9p3hDJPMyc

thanks

cheers raky

Last edited by raky25; 20-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 17-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Matt Brown
Virgin

hope no one minds me dragging this problem back up but I have an issue with the seat tilt mechanism. The seat stopped tilting forward so i checked plastic handle and it looked worn so I assumed it wasn't picking up the nipple correctly.

I removed the handle which is easy to do tilted the seat forward by pulling the nipple with pliers and while is this position clicked a brand new handle in place.

All looked okay the nipple seemed to sit correctly as the handle pushed out slightly as it does in the tilted position and then dropped the seat back into place.

The trouble is every time the seats down and you pull the lever the nipple isint picking up properly and slips back off.

I thought maybe the catch at the bottom of the seat was a bit tight so i sprayed a little WD40 on all the moving parts but nothing seemed to fix it anyone any ideas?
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM
johnny_Boy100
Virgin

Exclamation front tilt ford fiesta 04

i am new to this and cant put a picture up for some reason.

i have taken the outer casing off but the cable/wire for the seat is still in a black block that slots into the metal work of the seat.

it looks as though one side is slightly broke, im not sure if it needs fully removing or i have damaged it and need to buy something else also.

any help would be appreciated, i dont want to take to ford as they said it will be £80 just to look at it.
Old 20-02-2014, 02:27 PM
bradders43
Virgin

Default Right-hand seat lever assembly replacement

Hi Guys

I've been looking at this post for ages as I my driver side tilt seat handle also broke, it's the same thing as in the pic at top of this discussion - the plastic snapped in the seat casing bit (the lever is actually fine but now useless).

I have massive respect of all of you who posted here and if what I'm about to write duplicates anything in your posts that's only because I took a little bit of everyone's experience and managed to get the job done - eventually!

Firstly, I managed to replace the whole lever assembly (driver side part is no: 1417520) by not doing the following:

- Remove the seat
- Remove the headrest

But I did need to:

- Tilt the seat forward by pulling up the nipple on the cable with a large flat head screwdriver (in my case) or long nosed pliers would do it too!
- Buy a replacement lever assembly from a respectable auction site before I started to actually see for myself how the thing was attached to the seat, which I would highly recommend you do! You shouldn't pay more than 25 quid for it though!

The tools you will need:

- A small flat head screwdriver, preferably one you don't mind breaking as I can guarantee you will have a fight getting the thing off the seat unless you are a Ford engineer/technician who could probably do it in 5 mins.
- Your hands - both of them!

If you look at the pic at start of the discussion, which is very helpful, you will see 2 dark square-ish recesses above and below the nipple and slightly to the left, these holes will give you access to the 2 clips holding the thing into the seat.

I'd like to say that both clips are easy to release but their not. In reality I couldn't get the bottom one to release from the seat and ended up breaking it which didn't matter to be honest as it got the thing out.

If you put your screwdriver into the lower recess, which is quite deep, you will need to push the clip upwards with your screwdriver. As already mentioned, I didn't successfully manage to get this clip to release so you might need to use some gentle force to release the seat casing by giving it a good pull at the bottom.

The top clip is much easier to get to as it's not as deep, you will need to just push it down with your screwdriver in the upper recess while also pulling at the top part of the seat casing - it should release without too much effort.

Please do have a good look at clips on your replacement lever assembly before you start (and during) as this will give you encouragement that the clips are there somewhere.

Once the seat casing is out you will left with a piece of plastic which is a bit like a mini ski ramp which enables the lever to slide the nipple up/down smoothly to release/lock the seat. To fit the replacement lever assembly I would recommend you carefully tilt the seat back to its normal position and make sure the nipple is at the bottom of the ramp and is in the correct vertical orientation, this is the perfect place for the lever to make contact with the nipple when you push your replacement lever assembly into the seat.

I can frustratingly report that the removal of the seat casing took hours but the replacement of the whole lever assembly took minutes.

Best of luck if you have a go at this job and thanks to everyone for their posts - cheers

Last edited by bradders43; 20-02-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 AM
Illusiveduck
Virgin

I've just replaced a broken seat release handle on my wife's 2006 Fiesta and thank the people who've posted advice above.

I suggest that to reduce the probability of the release handle(s) breaking again try replacing the springs on the two release latches (at the bottom rear of the seat) with lower tension springs. I found lower tension springs at the local hardware store which cost $3.00 each; they were easy to swap and now the release handles require much less force to release the seat back and feel much less likely to break.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM
paul50
Virgin

Default replacing broken seat latch

i have just replaced my latch on my 04 plate fiesta took me 5 mins after getting the old one off i put some fishing line around the ball end of the cable and slid the new mechanism into place whilst pulling back on the fishing wire just as the part clips in let go off the lever and keep hold of the fishing line and het presto the ball goes into the cup cut the fishing wire and hey presto 5 minutes and it's fixed no need to take the lever and the spring off at all
Old 23-06-2014, 07:21 PM
freckles23
Virgin

need advise please, get to the point of everything going ok doing the job but can't get the black surround to lay flush with the seat, can't push it in anymore.

cheers for any help
Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
JonnyArb
Virgin

Hey folks,

Needing a hand on how to fit a new seat tilt handle on my Fiesta Zetec S mk6. Both have been broken and now have finally decided to fix them.

Any advice on how to put one on? This is the stage I am at just now. Does the new handle just clip on and the wire tip/nipple just fix itself into place? Or is there another way to do it?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:58 PM
daviddunlop83

I found on the last ones I fixed the cable assy was damaged and wasn't allowing the handle to pick it up properly

If you have the handle removed and cable is ok it's just a case of pushing the handle into the holder and it will pick the cable up when you lift it. If the cable assy is damaged it doesn't hold the cable in correct place and hence doesn't lift up properly
Old 01-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Gremlin1
Virgin

Joined the forum to post this message. Had the same problem as the above members. Read their advice and although it was a long fiddly job their advice WORKED!!!! Briliant!!!! Philip
Old 02-09-2023, 06:20 AM
Jaypfordy
Virgin

Originally Posted by tygger

1. Remove seat squab. This is done by removing the 2 bolts underneath the squab towards the front.
2. “Unclasp” the seat backing, at the lower part of the seat backing. This can be done by prising out one end of the clasp with a screwdriver, then peeling the whole lot out. Pull up to reveal the cables.
3. Unhook the cable/s ( if one end broken) at the lower part of the seat mechanism, via the now open seat bottom.
4. If possible, reach up underneath the seat backing to the handle. Feel for the 2 clips on either side, pinch and remove.
5. Twist the cable holder 90 degree clockwise at the seat metal shoulder, so as to remove upwards
6. Feed the new cable downwards. Reaching up through the seat backing will help here.
7. Attach the cable hooks, ensuring the right lengths (one is shorter than the other)
8. Ensure that the cable holder grooves are aligned with the metal seat shoulder. Twist through 90 degrees anti-clockwise, ensuring that the highest end is towards the back. I found plenty of Vaseline will ensure easing twist, with very gentle persuasion on both ends, with an open ended 15 mm spanners.
9. Push the (new) handle back in.
10. Replace squab and secure bolts.
11. Test.

Any problems mail me!
Hi, i cant seem to turn the cable holder so sits horizontal, any ideas? Ive not tried the vaseline idea just yet. But cant seem to see how it would turn anyway. There are no grooves in the holders casing for it to turn in line with metal seat casing. When i took the old on out, it looked as though someone had forced it the holder to turn and somehow created a groove in place instead.

Been trying to get this fixed for at least a year on my own but no prevail, now its just held by string to open close the seat. Sad times!

Still need to do drivers side!