Fiesta ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta ST Range of cars.

HELP!! ST150 gearbox issue in 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 17-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Bhavy_P
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! ST150 gearbox issue in 3rd

When trying to select 3rd the gearbox sometimes grinds or doesn't select 3rd at all. sorted the bush out and tightened the linkage sorted the issue for about a day or two but now back again.

Hoping someone can shed some light onto what the issue is. its really annoying me now!!
Old 22-12-2013, 06:14 PM
cherie
I have boobs

TBH, I'm not sure this is going to be of any assistance, but I have a guide saved regarding a stiff gear change (particularly into 3rd):

Step by step guide to cure the problem of stiff gear change, when warm. Replacing the cables on advice from Ford, makes no difference. It’s the shift arm's nylon bushes that can go dry and/or expand, causing them to tighten on the pivot shaft.

1. Remove both plastic covers where the gear cables go through the box; one will unclip off, the other requires 4x 8mm bolts to be unscrewed.

2. With both covers removed, press the button on the selector cable, and withdraw it from the ball joint on the selector shaft. Pull the shift cable off the shank on the shift arm (held on by a rubber bush, just pulls off).

3. Remove both cables from the bracket (the outer cable has a twist release mechanism, twist it and pull the cable from the bracket).

4. Now remove the spring e-clip holding the shift arm on its pivot shaft, being careful not to let it fling off anywhere and loose it.

5. Carefully withdraw the shift arm off the pivot shaft, it will probably be extremely tight (thus the problem). Try rocking it side to side and pulling it at the same time, eventually it will come off. The fact that it's that tight is the root of the problem. Don’t worry about the ball joint/bush of the shift arm that slots into the end of the selector shaft - it just slides in and out (carefully stretch the boot of the ball joint over to allow removal).

6. With the shift arm removed, unscrew the pivot shaft from the gearbox, 22mm spanner fitment, be careful not to damage the box.

7. The nylon bushes in the shift arm require reaming, or ever so slightly enlarging, carefully use a drill with a bit the size as close to the diameter of the pivot shaft as you can get. Keep working the bushes until the pivot shaft slides nicely inside, being careful not remove too much material from the bushes.

8. Once you are happy with the feel of the pivot shaft inside the shift arm (smooth), clean everything up and pack the shift arm bushes with plenty of grease/lube (copper slip). Screw the pivot shaft back into the box and tighten.

Fitment is a reversal of removal.

NB: Some of the later boxes have metal bushes rather than nylon, these just need cleaning and lubricating.
I've not actually had the issue personally, and saved this for a friend initially..!
Old 23-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Bhavy_P
Virgin

Originally Posted by cherie
TBH, I'm not sure this is going to be of any assistance, but I have a guide saved regarding a stiff gear change (particularly into 3rd):

I've not actually had the issue personally, and saved this for a friend initially..!
Thanks for that but already done that, sorted it for like 24hrs then went back to how it was!
Old 23-12-2013, 10:56 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Crunching is usually a worn syncro is it not?