Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

useable strength - what exercises?

Search this Thread

Old 20-01-2006, 03:19 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default useable strength - what exercises?

I'm not too bad total strength wise as im quite powerful (for my size :cry:) in my chest and upper arms.

but my grip is poor as are lower arms etc and general manual handling of things I struggle with.

anyone any good excercises to try?
Old 20-01-2006, 05:42 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

if you've got a chin bar (or anything you can use to do chins) get two towels and throw them over the bar so their hanging off the bar. grab the towels in each hand and start doing reps of chin ups.

this improves your grip, but make sure you use thick towels or you'll end up on your arse
Old 20-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Start doing deadlifts and other heavy exercises without using any wraps on your hands.

Or the old timers used to pick up big 20kg discs in a pinch grip and see how long they could hold them.

Alternatively there are conventional wrist curls done with a barbell. YOur forarms rest on your thighs, when sitting down, and you hands dangle over the end of your kness. Lift your hands up and down. Depending on wether you have an overhand or underhand grip will determine if you work the top of your forearms or the underneath.

Hammer curls with a dumbbell also works the outer top edge of your forearms where it joins the bicep.