Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Creatine....

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2005, 08:08 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Creatine....

What is it?

Is it worthwhile using?

Any downsides?

Ive read the advertising blurb and it seems to good to be true... but is it?
Old 14-12-2005, 11:23 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it increases muscle stores of creatine which may result in an increase of muscle size and better recovery.

Creatine needs to be loaded first usually by taking 4-5 doses throughout the day for 5 days.

You then take a maintenance dose 1-2 times a day of which one is best taken post workout with high glycemic carbohydrates.

Another thing is Creatine will work better for some than others, not for me but a few friends use it to good effect and swear by it. You may also notice more effect during the loading phase.

If you do give it a go Stu make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day.

The blurb as you say is just that....blurb to hype up a product, any product .....some good, some shite. But there are no magic pills or posions at the end of the day just supplements to make things that little bit easier!

And as far as I am aware there are no documented studies or reports from long term usage but a break is recommended for maximum results, all this will be clear on the tub.

Creatine is quite a cheap product to supplement with just make sure you go for quality creapure product.

Hope that helps.
Old 14-12-2005, 12:35 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

In answer to "What is it" I think you will find its a chemical naturally found in the body which carries fuel into the muscles at the muscle end. I think your muscles also store creatine in them so it works two fold.

Firstly it is supposed to aid the fueling/recorvery process and secondly it should allow you to train longer/harder etc as the muscles can sustain exercise for longer. Both for obvious reasons.

HTH's.
Old 15-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

So from the sound of what im reading, there are technically no downsides to using it if looking to improve muscle mass and recovery times?

At teh moment, i have 100% commitment and enthusiasm but im feeling after 40mins or so that i simply cant go on anymore, so i need to somehow push for another 20mins or so and thought this may be worthwhile from what i had read.

Thanks for all replies and advice, much appreciated.
Old 15-12-2005, 06:05 PM
RstNut
PassionFord Regular

As said above, you should have breaks from using it m8
Old 15-12-2005, 07:19 PM
Kieron

I've never heard of anyone having any ill effects but it is a relatively new product. Its not a banned substance so the authorities cant deem it that bad.

Full instructions for loading up etc will be on the packet/tub but as said you hould load up over a 5 day coare and then maintain levels for 4-6 weeks before coming off again for a 4 week break.

I have also heard raving reports about the liquid creatine if you can get hold of it. Supposed to go straight into your system and is apparently more potent? Personally I would just go for 100% pure creatine if I were you and avoid the flavoured type stuff as I didn't find them as good. Too watered down.
Old 15-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu, I think you'll see some benefits when you first try it. I know I did. Creatine is a supplement I take now and again. I find that if I take it all the time i.e. 2-3 months the effects seem to taper off. I may now use it once or twice a year for a bit of a boost, usually in the summer when I speed my training up a bit in order to try and get into better shape.

IN the winter I train slower and heavier so the need to keep intenisty high between sets is reduced.

Beef is apparently naturally high in creatine too.
Old 15-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

it can make people a little short (temper not stature) and also can increase sex drive (which is no real bad thing)

works well for me, but like paul said its not an all the time thing, just when ya need it
Old 16-12-2005, 10:11 PM
rssapphowner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

creatine fucks your kidneys so be careful not to over use it be warned
Old 18-12-2005, 05:44 PM
yoshi

Yeah, I heard the kidney problem before.

But it can also give permanent water retention if used heavily over-time.

I loaded on it once, and I found

- weak bladder...needed a piss twice as often
- water retention

So now I take it only before my weight training workouts, and it's great, no problems. It's like NOS for your muscles, you really notice it working when you get to the end of your workout and you don't feel so tired.
Old 18-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

drinking at least 2 litres of water a day will help with the kidneys as it continually flush it through.

thats the main cause as ppl dont do that, although we r told we should do that evryday anyway
Old 18-12-2005, 08:33 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

creatine isn't liver toxic.

although as said you do need to drink more when using it which is where the idea it damages your kidneys comes from as most people dont increase their water intake.

its garbage tho in my experience - I know it works for some, but I also know it doesn't for lots too!

CEE is supposedly better but by god it tastes fuckin awful - think battery acid!!!
Old 21-12-2005, 10:46 AM
extra18
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Ive used it a few times and will use it again. When you start training you dont want to stop and your recovery between sets becomes lower. Its strange but i felt like throwing weights around the gym at some points cos you can lift so much more. I was curling bigger dumb bells than some really big guys and one guy even asked if was on steds. The problem is when you come off it after 5-6 weeks you feel lame. All the extra strenght goes and it becomes harder for you drag yourself down the gym. My mate used it too and seen little improvements, its down to the person and everyone will be different. Well worth a try tho, its fookin awesome when you collect weights from the shelf below where you used to go and people are thinkin no, he aint gonna lift that... Then you shift 3 sets of 8...
Old 21-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

Originally Posted by adam@quikshift
its fookin awesome when you collect weights from the shelf below where you used to go and people are thinkin no, he aint gonna lift that... Then you shift 3 sets of 8...
yup
Old 29-12-2005, 06:55 PM
bigwelshlad

hi. new guy here - bigwelshlad. ford mad, just found the forum!! i've gained a stone since taking the stuff three weeks ago........although that could just be the christmas beer consumption!! i started powerlifting a few months back and am looking to gain mass and body size. i'm pretty big already - 5ft 5 and 20.5stone. any 1 else experienced big gains using creatine/protein products or could recommend products to give bigger muscle gains ?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
bigwelshlad

how long should someone take creatine during a first loading period, and how long off before starting again ? been taking about 7g daily now for the past three or four weeks and wondering whether i should continue or stop for a while. what about longer term? is it the kind of thing you take for a month, then off for a month etc? i'm really looking to lose a bit of weight (fat) and gain more muscle mass. currently i have a kind of "prop" build, short, but big etc (see other posts) thanks, welshy
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM
lmans123
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i got told to be on it for a month then off for a month.but you have to do the loading period again.hope this helps.all products work different for everyone.la muscle have alot of good products for muscle mass gaining.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:18 AM
extra18
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I did 6 weeks on then 4 weeks off. I only did 3 courses tho.