Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Any advice for building back muscle after injury, and adding toning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Bloomers
Cornish Fasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for building back muscle after injury, and adding toning?

Background:

I'm 30 next month, 6'3'', currently 13st 3lbs. Was racing mountain bike 4X all year last year, generally felt pretty fit, happy enough with my shape, but lacked tone and upper body strength.
End of September, suffered a fall at the BMX track in training, and dislocated my right shoulder. Been getting physio since then to try and restore the correct range of movement and flexibility.

Back on the bike after xmas, things were going fine, couple races, feeling good.
1010984_10152279089304994_960419523_n.jpg

But March 16th, Landed an over-jump badly, tried to bail out, but hit the deck while clipping out my pedals, resulting in a fractured Tibia, Fibula and Talus, and where i hit the floor, when my ankle collapsed, a broken left collarbone. 4 bones, 13 pieces......
image2_zps5a7759a1.jpeg
image3_zps079f1550.jpeg
image4_zps7a85684e.jpeg
image5_zps65725587.jpeg

I'm all pinned up now, and should start load bearing on my foot from Wednesday, if the doctors are right. My problem is, the last 8 months have left me with 2 weak shoulders and a weak and delicate right ankle. All the muscle in my right leg has atrophyed massively and my left left has over-developed, where I've been up on crutches for 5 weeks.

The problem:
I need to find/ engineer some sort of fitness plan, to keep my cardio going, but also bolster my upper body and get some more tone going.
Obviously running is out the question for quite a while, and cycling isn't an option for the rest of the year, i reckon. I'm not a particulary strong swimmer, and I'm not in a position to get out on my surfboard much this year.

Can anyone give me some ideas for cardio exercise that low impact on the legs? and any links or advice where i could get a good, free weight exercise plan drawn up? should I watching my diet much? I've lost 10lbs since March, but i'm figuring thats all muscle

thanks for any help...

Last edited by Bloomers; 12-05-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 21-03-2015, 12:14 AM
zetecbeast
Under the car...!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blimey. That's a nasty injury list mate.! Heal fast.

From when I did tore cartilage in my knee playing football years ago I used a cross trainer to great effect in the recovery phase. Low impact, good for range of motion and superb for cardio.
Besides that I would swimming is a very good thing to do dor healing.

Top of my list after injuries is to pay for a good physio !