Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

new year,new me. hopefully!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new year,new me. hopefully!!!

i know this is going to be hard but i need some encouragement to kick me off.

im 42,5 ft 10 ish,thickish set and prob somewhere in the region of 19stone.
ive carried this weight around for many years and not really got heavier although i can see physical changes as im getting older.
i work as a mechanic in a fairly busy garage so im active for 8 hours a day although over the last year or so ive been aching a lot in my joints-especially wrists,elbows and knees.i feel much weaker than i used to be.
when i was much younger (13-19) i was a very good sprinter,rugby player and worked out a lot in the gym-up to about 24 y/old.

i dont work out and once ive sat down at home my joints are killing me!
i feel very lethargic most of the time out of work.
i walk to work but its only a 10 min walk and walk the dogs sometimes.
i bought a bike last year and used it quite lot and felt reasonably ok on it and even went for a ride in the forest nearby for an hour.i can also on occasion when i want to walk for 2 hours with the dogs.because of these things and the fact i work i dont think im as unfit as i think i am but am really struggling to get motivated to kick start a change in lifestyle.
i havent smoked for 8 years and dont drink a lot.my issue is food-i dont really plan my food which normally ends up buying a pie or 2 at dinner,or a takeaway in the evening.dont always have breakfast.i do snack a lot as well but not always.
does anyone have any ideas to help me kickstart this?
my mrs puts me to shame as she works out 4/5 times a week and my little girl even does zumba and horse riding! just dont want to drop dead at an early age and leave them!!!!

help-and thanks in advance-hope what ive written makes some sense

Last edited by fordsportjay; 02-01-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing is first

The only way you will change is down to food
If you can sort that then game over from the start

Breakfast is so so so important as it starts the metabolism

Food wise you should be looking at around 200g of carbs a day for nice fat loss
You won't loose it mega quick but still maintain energy
You could drop it down more and eat more fatty acid food like,
Fish and nuts
Look up more foods with fatty acids that you like
Get the protein right up with chicken turkey fish again
Stay away from red meats
You need to eat around 6/8meals a day but small portions to keep your metabolism going
Drink plenty of water,loads in fact
Good idea will to get a high protein low carb supliment drink to take
Say 3 times a day
1 when you wake up
1 mid day
1 before bed
Certain fruitless are a no no as they contain high sugar levels

The biggest no no is bread
Do not eat bread ever as it bloats you out not good

Plenty off greens
For your carbs stick to 3 foods

Sweat potato
Pasta
Brown rice

You need to calculate how much you have per meal and its easy

100g of rice is around 35g of carbs
100g of pasta is 75 g of carbs

Get your self 6 small tubs and cook 3 large chicken breast with your carbs of choice and split equally into the tubs job done

Easy easy easy

Protein shake and some porridge oats for breakfast

Bananas are ok

If you need want any more info just ask mate
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Firstly, Good on you for wanting to do something about it! I was a similar weight to you not too long ago and a family history of dodgy tickers and wanting my daughter to have her Dad around were motivation enough for me to lose some weight.

It sounds simple, and if you stick to it you WILL lose weight. Always eat breakfast, porridge or similar that will fill you up, dont eat tons of spuds or bread and drink a load of water.
Start walking round the block and maybe build up to jogging and increase your distance.
The weight does come off, and so long as you stay mentally strong and the people around you support what youre doing, you'll keep it off and feel a hell of a lot better for it.
Theres no miracle way to lose weight, just use more calories than you consume
Takes time and hard work, but so worth it
Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Food change will help however at your current size you need intense excercise everyday in my experience.

I cannot give you diet advice but cycling advice I can give would be get on your bike, set a rpm to suit your breathing. Don't dig at hills but go at a pace that brings the heart rate up.

Start lookin at a 5 mile ride, log it on either mapmyride, Strava etc so you can log speeds. These apps are free on Android/iphone. Try and attempt this once a day (only takes 35min). Build it week by week and log the rides, don't do a Bradley and blast but get the heart rate up so you feel comfortable. Then gradually build the distance to 10 miles.

Took me 6 months to lose 2 stone, no diet change and this was only riding to work and back.

As Davey says it takes time but is worth it.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by v man
First thing is first

Fish and nuts
Stay away from red meats
You need to eat around 6/8meals a day but small portions to keep your metabolism going
Say 3 times a day
1 when you wake up
1 mid day
1 before bed

Plenty off greens

Sweat potato
Pasta
Brown rice

Get your self 6 small tubs and cook 3 large chicken breast with your carbs of choice and split equally into the tubs job done

Easy easy easy

Bananas are ok

Cracking post that mate
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 AM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Cracking post that mate
Thanks mate

One thing I know about its training and nutrition

I've 2 mates dropped 3 stone each through diet alone in 6 months by doing what I say

I will also add to the op when exercising you don't want the heart rate to high as the body will stop burning fat to store it for energy

You wanna be looking at up hill just over medium pace walking

It's all about heart rate with burning fat
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Jay, change how and what you eat. I lost 4 stone (~19st down to 15st) in 4 months purely by changing what, how much, and when I eat. I tried exercise, and couldn't do it as I'm far too unfit (plus lazy and smoke too much). Two of the biggest things with food I've found is 1) saturated fat content, and 2) matching what you eat in terms of cal's, fat, carb's etc to what you do in your daily physical exertion. I was munching way more than I was burning off at work (my job is pretty physical too - windscreen fitter - but not as much as it used to be as I spend double the time driving these days, so a bit less fitting and same diet = me packing it on). My real only "rules" for my diet, when it comes to carbs, cal's, fat's etc, has been to only allow myself half of what the daily guidline is. So if the daily guideline of calories is 2500, I try not to exceed 1500 - the target aim is 1000. Using the percentage things on the front of food packs in Tesco, I try to not exceed 50% of the daily fat and saturated fat intake. So I might look at a Lighter Choices lasagne, and it has 42% of daily allowed fat/saturated fat content, and 11% cal. So I know that if I have a sandwich for lunch, I've got a bit of wiggle room with the cals, but not much with the fat.

But changing what I eat from constant McDonalds, KFC, Burger King, and service station snack foods like sausage rolls, crisps, chocolate, etc. Cutting out fizzy drinks and beer (I was drinking at least a can of coke, if not 2-3 a day, PLUS 2/3/4 bottles of beer per eve - I cut out all that, and only have a beer once a week when I go out; max 2 pints a week, more often than not, just 1, plus a couple pints of coke in the pub, since I'm usually driving). Instead I only drink water at work, and diet lemonade (no sugar) and orange juice at home in the evening. If I'm a good boy, I treat myself to a bottle of Ribena Light for lunch.

Change lunch foods for a simple chicken salad sandwich from Tesco. Yeah, everyone says no bread, but fuck that. You try working on the road and eating on the go and not having bread. It's almost impossible. But it's ok in moderation. Two slices of unbuttered wholegrain bread isn't a problem! Tesco's do some actually not bad Lighter Choices stuff, and as they say "Every Little Helps" Change crisps for some sliced apple, and a small bottle of orange juice; two of your five a day.

At home, I spent a month just eating meat at dinner. No potato, not even any veg. Just two or three chicken breasts, or a couple of lean pork steaks, lamb steaks or beef steaks. Ideally lean the fat off, although I cook them with it on as you lose way too much flavour cooking with the fat removed. After that I reintroduced potato; mash or boiled mainly, although sometimes sautéed with light oil. Chips once in a blue moon, and then only oven cooked, low(er) fat brand.

The biggest thing is portion size. I had to cut that down dramatically. Get smaller plates. Trust me, it works!

Last edited by Thrush; 03-01-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Thanks mate

One thing I know about its training and nutrition

I've 2 mates dropped 3 stone each through diet alone in 6 months by doing what I say

I will also add to the op when exercising you don't want the heart rate to high as the body will stop burning fat to store it for energy

You wanna be looking at up hill just over medium pace walking

It's all about heart rate with burning fat
What diet would you recommend for losing body fat then mate ? Weight wise I'm ok at 12 stone 5 , just want to lose body fat really
Old 03-01-2013, 05:11 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

some interesting reading there and thanks for your input.

i really need to sit down and look at foods and what they contain-something i have never done.
due to work breaks etc ive been thinking about taking some porridge oats to have at 10am break.for dinner then having some soup with a couple of slices of brown bread.at 3pm break ill have a banana or other fruit.ill have cereal at 7.30am before i go to work and maybe something like chicken/turkey in some form in the evening.

i will sit and digest all the posts above properly though.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Well I've heard plenty of people say little and often, as it speeds your metabolism up, meaning you digest and process food through your quicker. Also had people say to me to have a decent breakfast, good lunch, then tiny dinner, so as to work off what I eat earlier in the day, and then not have a large dinner sitting in my while I sleep.

But instead I just cut down what I was eating full stop, didn't bother with breakfast at all, and just tried to eat better foods.

And 4 stone in as many months, I'd say it worked. Granted I've put on half a stone over the past two weeks, what with xmas, my birthday and new years all within 7 days, but fuck it, I'll just have to concentrate to get it back off again.

I can't see I'm gonna go down past 15 stone now without upping my physical exercise. I peaked at a pound under 15st, then levelled out at 15-15st 1lb, and hovvered around there for a month or so till xmas snuck up on us. So I'll need to work at it now to get anymore off, but to be fair, I'm happy at 15st. I'm 6'2, 48-50" chest, and wide shoulders, so 15 is probably about right. 14 would be nice, but any less than that and I don't think it'd suit my frame.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

6-8 meals a day is ok if you have the time and dedicated.3-4 meals per day for you want would be spot on.ive tried both and honestly only benefit for me is more smaller meals keeps cravings away.if I were you I would just have breakfast,lunch,dinner and supper.cut out processed food.relax a bit at weekends.as v man said diet is key and you don't have to starve yourself.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by fordsportjay

i really need to sit down and look at foods and what they contain-something i have never done.
due to work breaks etc ive been thinking about taking some porridge oats to have at 10am break.for dinner then having some soup with a couple of slices of brown bread.at 3pm break ill have a banana or other fruit.ill have cereal at 7.30am before i go to work and maybe something like chicken/turkey in some form in the evening.

Stay away from bread mate

Seriously it will do you no good
White or brown

Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

What diet would you recommend for losing body fat then mate ? Weight wise I'm ok at 12 stone 5 , just want to lose body fat really
Meal 1
Small amount of oat meal and a protein shake

Meal 2
1chicken breast with 50g of pasta

Meal 3
Protein shake and a banana

Meal 4
1 chicken breast with half a sweat potato

Then a protein shake before bed

Couple this with some fast pace walking regularly

I would start on this and see how you go and tweak it as you go

You could also introduce some eph tablets but not everyday as the body will get used to them so every other day is good

It's hard to do a diet for people with out seeing them but what I wrote is just the basics and believe me when getting people ready for shows it gets a lot more involved

Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Just to add its also a good idea to add a small amount of greens to the meals as they aid digestion
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Meal 1
Small amount of oat meal and a protein shake

Meal 2
1chicken breast with 50g of pasta

Meal 3
Protein shake and a banana

Meal 4
1 chicken breast with half a sweat potato

Then a protein shake before bed

Couple this with some fast pace walking regularly

I would start on this and see how you go and tweak it as you go

You could also introduce some eph tablets but not everyday as the body will get used to them so every other day is good

It's hard to do a diet for people with out seeing them but what I wrote is just the basics and believe me when getting people ready for shows it gets a lot more involved

I'll give it a bash mate, thank you very much.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

I'll give it a bash mate, thank you very much.
No worrys bud

You can also change the chicken for white fish say 2 fillets per meal

Just remember

High protein low carbs

No fat

Simples

Keep me posted on how you do please
If you can't get eph I can get them for ya and post them out

There not illegal drugs so don't worry

Old 03-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Chris.. what gym do you go to? Reckon you could beef me up??
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by Westy
Chris.. what gym do you go to? Reckon you could beef me up??
I go to prime

It's behind tesco express

And corse I can
You just got to ask your self if you can beef your self up cos you got to lift the weights and eat the food

Pop down if ya want mate for a session
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Appreciate that Chris and may well take you up on that! Can I just come down and pay? Thing is don't be back from work until 8ish usually.

I can defianately be strict with the food and wanting to get bigger !
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Just checked website.. MMA !

Perhaps weekend or next week if you're about. Preferably when it's empty
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by Westy
Just checked website.. MMA !

Perhaps weekend or next week if you're about. Preferably when it's empty
Yeh they got a mma school there also but I don't get involved in that

Don't need to

When ever you want Westwood just give me a shout
Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Will do.. Cheers mate
Old 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

excuse me here as im old and out of touch- im presuming eph is ephadrine?

had them years ago but would something like that help?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:48 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

excuse me here as im old and out of touch- im presuming eph is ephadrine?

had them years ago but would something like that help?
Kind of yes

It's not pure ephedrine as that's not aloud as its classed as an amphetamine

Its a mix of ephedrine and caffeine

And yes it will help loads as it suppresses hunger and speeds the metabolism right up

But like I said not to be taken everyday as you will build a resistance to it so every other day is best
Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Just to add its also know as eca's

Ephedrine
Caffeine
Aspirin
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM
MO

All the best with what you want to achieve mate.. Never easy but the key is sticking to it.. Getting a balance of training and nutrition that fits your lifestyle and commitments, the main reason people fail at their goals is that they set themselves such a regime and plan that they can't fit it round their life, looks great on paper but hard to put into practice when holding down a full time job, family etc.. I'm not saying font push yourself just be realistic.. All the best tho pal. Hope you get where you want to be..
Old 06-01-2013, 03:37 PM
MO

Talking

Font=don't
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

im determined to lose some weight,ideally 3 or 4 stone.

daft thing is i enjoy working out-just need the kick up the ass to get going

ive had a decent,comprehensive multi-gym in my garage that ive had for 4 years at least and its still like new,a bench press bench,barbell,dumbells,a decent excercise bike,a punchbag,a cross trainer. no excuse really not to spend an hour a night in there!!!

Last edited by fordsportjay; 06-01-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM
MO

You need a training partner.. It's hard to get motivation on your own.. It can be done but takes a lot of will power. If you can't find a training partner go to the gym when it's fairly busy. Quiet gyms are not motivational unless you have a lot of will power and focus, if you are around people who are working out properly with focus you are more likely to, the more you get into it the easier it will be...
Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

From a fellow chunk who cannot get his head round good and bad fats etc then my advice is just to take an extra minute to think when your buying food,
Breakfast, as soon as you wake up EAT, most important meal of the day, start your metabolism.
No matter what you gotta keep fed and watered, so get the water down you, yeh its bland and boring but daft as it sounds tastes better colder
I live on the road so cut down the bread, I tend to keep it simple as stay away from fried foods, and go the chicken/fish route with veg and fruit, snack away at fruit,
And finally, portions, keep them down, and dont over snack either, you may be eating healthy but you could also be eating too much.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:06 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive been quite good this week with my eating and i do feel better already. not much in the way of excersise as ive been very busy but been out for walks with the dogs 4 times
Old 12-01-2013, 09:30 AM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

ive been quite good this week with my eating and i do feel better already. not much in the way of excersise as ive been very busy but been out for walks with the dogs 4 times
Give me a break down of what you have been eating day to day over the week
Old 14-01-2013, 04:53 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

First thing is first

Fish and nuts
Stay away from red meats
Say 3 times a day
1 when you wake up
1 mid day
1 before bed

Plenty off greens

Sweat potato
Pasta
Brown rice

Easy easy easy

Bananas are ok

Bang on
Old 14-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Big G
From a fellow chunk who cannot get his head round good and bad fats etc then my advice is just to take an extra minute to think when your buying food,
Breakfast, as soon as you wake up EAT, most important meal of the day, start your metabolism.
No matter what you gotta keep fed and watered, so get the water down you, yeh its bland and boring but daft as it sounds tastes better colder
I live on the road so cut down the bread, I tend to keep it simple as stay away from fried foods, and go the chicken/fish route with veg and fruit, snack away at fruit,
And finally, portions, keep them down, and dont over snack either, you may be eating healthy but you could also be eating too much.
Nope, I would suggest getting up and walking the dogs at a brisk pace for around half an hour. Then home to eat breakfast. 70 grams of oats would be about right imho.

It's called fasted cardio.
Old 15-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieron
Nope, I would suggest getting up and walking the dogs at a brisk pace for around half an hour. Then home to eat breakfast. 70 grams of oats would be about right imho.

Not got a dog, or a missus to call one
Old 15-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by Big G
Not got a dog, or a missus to call one
lol. You want one of mine, I have both!

My advice was aimed at the OP but if you do cardio yourself, try and get it out of the way before breakfast.
Old 15-01-2013, 07:09 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Originally Posted by Kieron

Personally I wouldn't introduce fasted cardio yet

That's a good technique to introduce later when the op feels his weight loss has slowed or stopped

Always best to start basic and progress later IMHO of course

Old 16-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Kieron

Personally I wouldn't introduce fasted cardio yet

That's a good technique to introduce later when the op feels his weight loss has slowed or stopped

Always best to start basic and progress later IMHO of course

The OP already walks his dog. Why not make the most of it?

It was also aimed at the bold advice I quoted, saying get straight up and have breakfast. Just makes sense to me to combine the two and capitolise on the benefits straight away. It's only walking, not running or HITT etc.

But whatever works and see where you're coming from. For me though, if you are going to do it you may as well make the most of it. Plus we both know that the bigger then changes, the bigger the motivation and drive for more becomes.