Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Starting the gym and need a good diet plan

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 AM
fordrs2005
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Starting the gym and need a good diet plan

As above

I've just signed up for the gym today for the first time and looking for advise on a good diet plan to stick with and thought I'd ask on here as there's some people with good advise

I'm 27 years old , about 6ft 3 in hieght and weigh 15.2

Looking on starting and going for my induction 2moro morning and looking at going every morning during the week for 1 hour minimum ,

so thought nows best time to start a diet to match too

Also is there any best time to go to the gym as I'm planning on going first thing in the morning , is that best or better at night or does it matter etc

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers
Old 04-07-2012, 02:38 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Alright Gibby.shouldnt matter when you go.what sorta goals you wanting.lose a bit of fat.bulk up etc?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
James B
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wont really matter when you go tbh.

If you have an iPhone search for an app called FitnessBuddy it has alot of good exercises and pre made routines you can follow to save you thinking what can I do now.. its about 69p on app store.

Also Mens Fitness UK and bodybuilding.com are great sites for lots of information.

As some steve said above what are your goals/targets? Loose weight (fat) bulk up (muscle) or fitness (cardio)?

A great bulking diet plan.. http://www.bazaar-magazine.com/baz/b...ART00000000548

Read/watch alot of what this guy 'Shredded Diesel' has done. Hes a celeb PT.

Last edited by James B; 04-07-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:22 PM
fordrs2005

Originally Posted by stevenebm
Alright Gibby.shouldnt matter when you go.what sorta goals you wanting.lose a bit of fat.bulk up etc?
Alrite Steven

Yeah basically try get rid of the gut I've developed and bulk my legs and arms up again as since I've stopped repairing cars my arms ain't the same as they used to be

I've cut down on fizzy juice as that's all I ever drank and now drink water

My main thing I'll need to cut down on is the beer and wine just try limit it to 1 nite a week

But hoping a stead diet and going to the gym once a day should help too .
Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM
fordrs2005

Originally Posted by James B
Wont really matter when you go tbh.

If you have an iPhone search for an app called FitnessBuddy it has alot of good exercises and pre made routines you can follow to save you thinking what can I do now.. its about 69p on app store.

Also Mens Fitness UK and bodybuilding.com are great sites for lots of information.

As some steve said above what are your goals/targets? Loose weight (fat) bulk up (muscle) or fitness (cardio)?

A great bulking diet plan.. http://www.bazaar-magazine.com/baz/b...ART00000000548

Read/watch alot of what this guy 'Shredded Diesel' has done. Hes a celeb PT.
Thanks for the reply mate

I'll go get that app just now and have a look
Old 04-07-2012, 07:54 PM
James B
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

No worries, hope it helps.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM
stevenebm
post whore

dont need to cut out the fizzy juice completly.drink as much diet coke etc as you want and when im dieting its the only thing that keeps me sane.you will see good results just cutting out all the junk through the week and stay away from loads of carbs to get shot of the gut.you probably wont want to do the whole 6 meals a day thing and to be honest i dont find it much more beneficial than 3 large meals with a couple shakes in between.so something like this.

breakfast.6-8 egg omlette or scrammbled etc.two slice of wholemel toast or a bowl of oats if you prefer.handfull of cashew nuts.

gym
post workout 60g whey or 60g cnp pro recover which is an all in one.

dinner.250g steak/chicken.100g rice,veg

60g whey shake.

supper.250g lean mince.red onion.gravy granules.big spoonfull of peanut butter

this is very basic.still got decent amount of protein in there about 230-250g and some carbs but not a major amount.personally id add in a tablespoon of olive oil with some meals.drink plenty water and get a good multivitamin and your good to go.get down to a decent level of bodyfat and if you want to start bulking up then increase your carbs.it wont happen overnight but you will start to feel the jeans getting a bit loser etc then you will get addicted and start stabbing your ass with needles
Old 04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
stevenebm
post whore

i left out lunch as i dont know your eating patterns but if you eat lunch then even better and throw in something like tuna with light mayo and sweetcorn in a pita bread.now go get squatting and build them legs up!!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Next to no carbs, lots of lean protein.
Expensive but works!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 AM
fordrs2005

Cheers for the advise lads

Booked in for my induction on Monday morning so will start this then

My plan is to go to the gym for at least an hour a day and go for a swim after and get in to a routine diet and hopefully should start noticing the difference .
Old 05-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Chip

If you do too much all at once its easier to give it up, dont rush it too much.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Next to no carbs, lots of lean protein.
Expensive but works!
might work short term as in for comp or holiday mode but need carbs long term mate or he'll become catabolic and his metabolism will slow/shut down.

id aim for around 100g of carbs a day,that will be enough to keep your metabolism from shutting down and especially if your doing legs.you cant do weights with no carbs,1 its pointless as you wont build,youll be using muscle as fuel and 2 youll collapse in the gym

gibby just aim your macros for over 220g of protein a day around 100-120g of carbs and 80-90g of fat. at that youll have enough protein to build muscle and enough carbs/fat to fuel workout.

that would give you circa 880cals from protein
400-480 cals from carbs
and 720-810 from fats

cut out the sweets a crap and start on that then you can start being anal about it and counting. once you see gains youll get addicted and want to get stricter with diet. at 6 ft plus and 15 stone youll prob need circa 3000 cals a day maintenance so by dropping to 2000-2500 a day and adding weights/cardio youll see a difference in not time and still not feel as if your starving yourself,once your legs start growing youll burn more. muscle burns fat all day long but it needs fuel(carbs/protein/fat) to do that.

Last edited by JamboRS; 05-07-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM
Kieron

Wouldn't the cokes etc cause insulin spikes and be determental to weight loss? I would personally ditch them alltogether. There is fuck all good about them, too much sugar and hidden calories.

Have to agree with Jambo. I am on 200g of carbs a day and dropping fat. If holding muscle size is a concern get some BCAA's in but at that level I think it would turn you catabolic unless you have help in that area. It did me, but then again I am a different bodyshape to you. I guess eating over 1kg of meat a day, plus shakes, also helps me with retaining muscle.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM
fordrs2005

Thanks again for the advise lads

Looking forward to Monday now to get started
Old 06-07-2012, 09:48 AM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last few weeks I've been going to the gym once a week (it's a mates and 20 miles away hence only once) and just cutting out all the shit I used to eat. No take aways, no fizzy drinks other than diet coke and water.

Spoon of natural organic honey or porridge (guy at gym says do the honey thing so I do!)
My diet consists of tomatoes and egg on two toast for breakfast at 10:30

For lunch at 1 I'll have a chicken salad, or pasta, or chicken salad sandwich, only two slices of bread.

At 3:30 a cuppa tea and sometimes an apple

At 6 I have dinner which is salad and chicken, maybe two small boiled potatoes

In two and half weeks I've gone from 20st 12lb to 20st 4lb, my aim before my birthday which is september 4th is 19st 7

I could do with going gym a few more times but that will come later!
Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Originally Posted by Kieron
Wouldn't the cokes etc cause insulin spikes and be determental to weight loss? I would personally ditch them alltogether. There is fuck all good about them, too much sugar and hidden calories.

Have to agree with Jambo. I am on 200g of carbs a day and dropping fat. If holding muscle size is a concern get some BCAA's in but at that level I think it would turn you catabolic unless you have help in that area. It did me, but then again I am a different bodyshape to you. I guess eating over 1kg of meat a day, plus shakes, also helps me with retaining muscle.
Diet coke keiron?nothing in them attall.wouldnt for the life of me drink normal coke.theres like 32g of sugar in one can.40% daily allowance.will drop over and check your journal.not on test muscle a lot just now as got the natty rot and motivation is low but still plodding away.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Diet coke keiron?nothing in them attall.wouldnt for the life of me drink normal coke.theres like 32g of sugar in one can.40% daily allowance.will drop over and check your journal.not on test muscle a lot just now as got the natty rot and motivation is low but still plodding away.
nothing in them that they need to declare.theyll have you beleive its healthy,they get away with putting as little nutritional value on the labelas they can.

Just because diet cola is calorie-free, doesn’t mean it’s the healthier option,it contains aspartame,an artificial sweetener used in diet product which gives you higher blood glucose levels (a diabetes risk factor)
Excessive amounts of glucose in the blood stream are sent to the liver and converted to excess body fat

yes it contains no cals,no sugar etc but other ingredients can mislead the body.

its advertsing jargon which fools people to think its healthy,just like fruit drinks and yoghurts with big letters across it saying " low in fat" yes but high in sugar,fat doesnt make you fat sugar does and 90% of the world dont know that,they think low in fat is healthy,so they buy it.just like diet coke with its "no added sugar",but its the other ingredients that people have no clue about that effect the body

tbh normal coke is healthier,at least you know what sugar does to you,as with diet you dont.it contains so many chemicals like aspartame and there not good for the body. water does me and sometimes a bit of robinsons to get my bcaa's down lol

Last edited by JamboRS; 06-07-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Interesting.any guys I know live on diet coke during show prep.even two prep guys I paid to do my diet said to drink as much as I want.only have two cans per day so not that it would affect me anyway but if you were sensitive to any sort of things you mentioned then I suppose it could affect you.

Last edited by stevenebm; 06-07-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Interesting.any guys I know live on diet coke during show prep.even two prep guys I paid to do my diet said to drink as much as I want.only have two cans per day so not that it would affect me anyway but if you were sensitive to any sort of things you mentioned then I suppose it could affect you.
these guys are probably pumping themselves full of the gear so there not really bothered about chemicals in the body. plus its high in caffeine so theyll get the caffiene buzz from it. as a whole diet coke or any diet soda is not healthy,not just in a calorific( is that a word) way. in a calorie sense its calorie free but the chemicals going through the liver make it worse than sugar.

id rather just drink water and have a black coffee before the gym,safer imo.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:22 PM
Kieron

I've read similar to the above but don't know how true it is. I saw that diet is just as bad, if not worse, than full fat. No sugar but lots of artificial sweeteners that work in a similar way to sugar.

I've seen the test where you leave a tooth or a coin in it. Thats enough for me. lol
Old 12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
slammed106
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by J1mbo
The last few weeks I've been going to the gym once a week

gym monster!!!!!!!

team gibbs, jimbo the bruiser and his bro the denim ninja.....
Old 12-07-2012, 08:45 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by slammed106
gym monster!!!!!!!

team gibbs, jimbo the bruiser and his bro the denim ninja.....
Baby faced jeaned ninja is the correct term stuey
Old 13-07-2012, 11:34 AM
slammed106

Haha see ya sunday morning for another sesh big fella... Stus doing it again so i hear...
Old 13-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by JamboRS
might work short term as in for comp or holiday mode but need carbs long term mate or he'll become catabolic and his metabolism will slow/shut down.
Was talking for initial weight loss.
Longer term the ONLY option if someone wants a proper figure, is plenty of exercise and a healthy balanced diet.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Chip

Diet coke is full of aspartame and that stuff is poison.
Better to just swap it for those fruit flavoured waters all the supermarkets sell now, they have nothing nasty in them and are still pleasant enough as fizzy drinks.
Old 13-07-2012, 12:31 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Diet coke is full of aspartame and that stuff is poison.
Better to just swap it for those fruit flavoured waters all the supermarkets sell now, they have nothing nasty in them and are still pleasant enough as fizzy drinks.
Them waters are full of sugar so I hear and after trying them they are sweet, plain water all the way for myself even if it don't taste great
Old 13-07-2012, 12:32 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Haha see ya sunday morning for another sesh big fella... Stus doing it again so i hear...
Thank god, chris's workout was too much for me,nice to do some rowing and weights for a bit last week for a change
Old 13-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Chip

Them waters are full of sugar so I hear and after trying them they are sweet, plain water all the way for myself even if it don't taste great
No they arent, they are only 20 odd calories per litre. (well the ones I drink anway, maybe the ones you are on about are different)
Old 13-07-2012, 02:26 PM
slammed106

Thank god, chris's workout was too much for me,nice to do some rowing and weights for a bit last week for a change

Hahahaha 'intense' aint he....... I was sweating like a rapist by halfway thru..
Old 13-07-2012, 02:37 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

No they arent, they are only 20 odd calories per litre. (well the ones I drink anway, maybe the ones you are on about are different)
2 calories in the ones i was drinking think they are volvic, told to keep off though
Old 13-07-2012, 02:39 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Hahahaha 'intense' aint he....... I was sweating like a rapist by halfway thru..
That's why I didn't join lol
Old 14-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Kieron

What to these intense sessions compose of lads?
Old 19-07-2012, 04:28 AM
ramjnkgha
Virgin

if u want to starting the gym so best diet for you milk fruits vagetables. anf eggs.
Old 19-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Kieron

Originally Posted by ramjnkgha

if u want to starting the gym so best diet for you milk fruits vagetables. anf eggs.
Oh rly?

Whats a vage table? Loads of muff all lined up for you to eat?

an Indian body builder? You must huge man. What are you, 6 maybe 7 stone?
Old 21-08-2012, 06:15 AM
ramjnkgha
Virgin

Looking on starting and going for my induction 2moro morning and looking at going every morning during the week for 1 hour minimum.
Old 13-09-2012, 07:59 AM
rihanna32
Virgin

Default diet plan

You want a diet with a lot of lean meats (chicken, and fish in general, but tuna is easiest of course), complex carbs (fibrous foods), and light to moderate fat intake (peanut butter is great for mass building, as is milk). For more visit dietbestplans.com
Old 29-09-2012, 06:09 PM
mr mclean

Start MMA boys the fat will soon go
Old 01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
steve4i
Regular Contributor

diet coke and any other diet cokes also robinsons dilute juice is bad for you as it all contain's aspartame which 1 grain is 1k times sweeter then a grain of sugar :/ so i would lay of the diet coke's if you want a nice fruit juice too add with water use teco's own *high juice* no artificial sweetener's in it at all.

also look out for taurine, sucralose, ascuflame in your drinks all atrficial sweetner's