Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Deadlift Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 24-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deadlift Challenge

Done this as part of a comp on another forum and thought i'd share it on here as it's kinda cool.

[youtube]48sFKBOuTKU[/youtube]

Definately got the strength for more reps but i was fuckin gassed after 7/8, my heart was ready for exiting my chest i think.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:00 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Pretty impresive deadlifting pal , never tried 200 for high reps before, think i will give it a go on my back night this week.

In one of my local gyms a few years back we held a little comp to see who could rep 100 the most....
Old 24-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by P412KER
Pretty impresive deadlifting pal , never tried 200 for high reps before, think i will give it a go on my back night this week.

In one of my local gyms a few years back we held a little comp to see who could rep 100 the most....

Definately worth it. I got an insane back pump and my heart was going mad, totally different approach to deadlifting for me. Normally 5/6 reps max unless i'm warming up with a lighter weight.

100kg sounds easy but like i say, the cardio side of it fucks me, i dunno if my lungs would let me go till my back/legs gave out.
Old 24-10-2011, 08:41 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Will see how i get on, but im pretty much the same, fitness lets me down,but my PB is 242kg so the weights not the problem..

But as for the 100kg, we were trying for 100 reps!! give it a go see how far you can get. the first 20 are a peice of piss then it just seems to double in weight every rep after...
Old 24-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Nice effort mate.

Your tall like me so do you find it awkward? Kinda looks like two movements (legs then back) to me rather than one fluid pull? I lift the same tbh and I can't stop it when I go heavy. I want to get it looked at.
Old 24-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kieron
Nice effort mate.

Your tall like me so do you find it awkward? Kinda looks like two movements (legs then back) to me rather than one fluid pull? I lift the same tbh and I can't stop it when I go heavy. I want to get it looked at.
To be honest, ever since i started deadlifting i've just 'got it' really. I feel comfortable even though im tall.

I do think of the lift in a few parts though, first is powerful legs to move weight off the floor as quick as possible, pushing heels through floor essentially, second is the lower back/hams contraction which starts the hinge at hips then the third is the forward hip drive from the glutes/hams being tensed to help lockout.

If you watch the best tall lifters, guys like Terry Hollands, Mark Felix and Konstantin Konstantinovs(sp) off the top of my head, they all are quite big with the legs in the movement, i think taller lifters have to be though as the short guys with gorilla arms dont have to bend the knees as much to get down to the bar?

(maybe im being a bit full of myself comparing my form to terry hollands and konstantinovs but you know what i mean....)
Old 25-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Kieron

I was always of the understanding that it should be one drive, not seperate bits. My training partner is shorter than me and his movement just flows. Scissors at the same time if you know what I mean, whereas I lift kinda like you. I have a weak lower back and it puts too much strain on it and thats not the object of a deadlift.

I actually have burns on the tops of my knees at the moment where the bar rubs them. Like a carpet burn. I find the whole movement awkward when going heavy. I guess if you have a stong lower back then you can get away with it like Hollands etc.

Like I say, I need some help with mine before I can start progressing up in weight without doing myself in.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:41 AM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

I've looked at numerous taller people deadlifting and they pretty much all do it the same way, not the prettiest form or strictest form.

I've tried to correct my own form as much as possible but still I feel mine is in 2 movements.
Old 25-10-2011, 11:14 AM
vroomtshh

Coldo - you still training at the galleon?

I need to get back into it. Been away for about 18 months and I can't see my toes anymore.
Whats the galleon like?
Old 25-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was always of the understanding that it should be one drive, not seperate bits. My training partner is shorter than me and his movement just flows. Scissors at the same time if you know what I mean, whereas I lift kinda like you. I have a weak lower back and it puts too much strain on it and thats not the object of a deadlift.

I actually have burns on the tops of my knees at the moment where the bar rubs them. Like a carpet burn. I find the whole movement awkward when going heavy. I guess if you have a stong lower back then you can get away with it like Hollands etc.

Like I say, I need some help with mine before I can start progressing up in weight without doing myself in.
Form is important so i agree that you should be confident in your form before trying to go heavy.

I always always consider it in 2 or more parts, without a doubt the initial heels through floor is the most important, if you dont get the weight off the ground fast it's going nowhere.

Have a look at Andy Boltons videos on youtube, he does loads of tutorials that are v good. Or Rippetoe, his strength coaching is world famous.

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Coldo - you still training at the galleon?

I need to get back into it. Been away for about 18 months and I can't see my toes anymore.
Whats the galleon like?
Not at galleon anymore mate, i've moved down to Newcastle so training at a gym down here now called Morgans Powerhouse in South Shields, owner is an IFBB pro, very good environment to train in.
Old 25-10-2011, 09:37 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

good going there mate.i think i could do 200 for onemanaged 160 for 5 last week and i was knackered after that.
Old 27-10-2011, 02:09 PM
krypton
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Good lifting there. Whats the max reps for this on the other forum?. Wish i could lift 200kg. injured my back at the start of the summer so just getting back to where i was before i stopped
Old 27-10-2011, 03:37 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Tried this last night, only managed 6, first 5 felt easy ish then it felt like it was welded to the floor.

Legs tonight, so might see what can squat for 1 rep???
Old 27-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by krypton
Good lifting there. Whats the max reps for this on the other forum?
One lad done 202kg/445lbs for 20 reps! Apart from that someone done 12, someone 11 and me 10 i think. Quite a few around 8 reps.

The guys in this vid below are some of the best deadlifters in the country doing the 200kg challenge; (The last guy to go, Andy bolton is the world record holder, 457.5kg pull i think)

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/16319

Originally Posted by P412KER
Tried this last night, only managed 6, first 5 felt easy ish then it felt like it was welded to the floor.

Legs tonight, so might see what can squat for 1 rep???
Tell me about it, first 5 were a piss then i started blowing a bit and felt my legs juddering all the way up.

Go for it We've got legs on saturday, doing 20 rep squats, 3 sets of after a warmup and a heavy set of 5, i'll be humped on sunday/monday.
Old 27-10-2011, 06:46 PM
s13eater
Virgin

this is the only pic i can find of me deadlifting in my 20's, i think it was 528lbs for 8 reps, i was'nt that good on deadlifting, i was better at bench pressing.
Old 27-10-2011, 07:55 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Coldo
One lad done 202kg/445lbs for 20 reps! Apart from that someone done 12, someone 11 and me 10 i think. Quite a few around 8 reps.

The guys in this vid below are some of the best deadlifters in the country doing the 200kg challenge; (The last guy to go, Andy bolton is the world record holder, 457.5kg pull i think)

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/16319

Tell me about it, first 5 were a piss then i started blowing a bit and felt my legs juddering all the way up.

Go for it We've got legs on saturday, doing 20 rep squats, 3 sets of after a warmup and a heavy set of 5, i'll be humped on sunday/monday.
Just watched that video some really strong lads there. think i will give it another go next back day, feel feeble after watching that lol.....

squats didnt go to bad though 185kg for 3, for me thats heavy...
Old 28-10-2011, 07:13 PM
krypton

Just watched the vid there aswell some good lifting there. Bet that felt light for the 1st few reps for Andy Bolton slightly lighter than his record lift.

Be good to see what the likes of Terry hollands could do at 200kg
Old 28-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by s13eater

this is the only pic i can find of me deadlifting in my 20's, i think it was 528lbs for 8 reps, i was'nt that good on deadlifting, i was better at bench pressing.
Hahaa, that picture is class, love the dumbells tied to the bar an stuff, excellent.

Originally Posted by krypton
Be good to see what the likes of Terry hollands could do at 200kg
Ta dahhh....

[youtube]sSDYsrsGtJI[/youtube]
Old 29-10-2011, 07:17 AM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Just shows how strong those guys really are when compared to terry.

Mind you I'm the same, come out the blocks firing on all 4 then everything just grinds to a hault. Think it's time to improve my cardio levels.
Old 30-10-2011, 11:48 AM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How come they hold the bar differently with each hand?
Old 30-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AquariousRS
Most people find it gives them a stronger grip.

Under with weaker arm, over with stronger arm.
Old 30-10-2011, 12:09 PM
TimC
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't you just use straps then? Or is that classed as cheating?
Old 30-10-2011, 12:30 PM
vroomtshh

Some people don't like straps. I find they dig in and cut off the circulation to my fingers so i lose grip strength quicker than without straps
Old 30-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah straps help loads regardles of grip.

Straps and cheating is a can of worms. Yeah if you are in a comp, going for one lift as heavy as you can then straps are not allowed.

If you are in the gym on the other hand, doing a back workout, then forearm/grip strength isnt the issue, its all about getting the weight on the back/legs so (imo) straps are a good thing. Most peoples grip strength will give out before their back or legs do.
Old 30-10-2011, 06:40 PM
RUBY123

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you hold the bar with hands the same way the bar will try and turn out of your hand regardless of how good your grip is when going heavy. with hands facing opposite ways it counter acts the twisting force letting you get on with lifting
Old 30-10-2011, 10:51 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

these are the straps to get.padded round your wrist.different class to any ive used.
http://www.newimagesupplements.co.uk...77_524013.aspx
Old 09-11-2011, 12:29 PM
v man
Zee Germans are coming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stop all this strap talk

straps are for pussys

and mark felix is the dead lift man in this country not hollands
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Kieron

Then I am a pussy and I will openly admit it!

Your going some if your back fails before your grip!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

I have no real choice in the matter, badly broken fingers years ago have fooked up my right hand grip. So straps are a must for me.

Didn't think it made me a pussy though, oh well lol.

Last edited by P412KER; 09-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:06 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by v man
stop all this strap talk

straps are for pussys

and mark felix is the dead lift man in this country not hollands
Do you even lift?

Also... if you want to go down that road, Andy Bolton is the 'dead lift man' in this country not felix or hollands.

Hollands is twice the lifter felix is anyway, strongest man in britain, 3rd strongest man in the world.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Kieron

Isn't felix from Grenada?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Isn't felix from Grenada?
Ha, yes i think he is, or Jamaica maybe? But yeah he ain't English as such.

Felix is a great lifter, much more athletic that Terry Hollands but not as strong and can't touch Hollands when it comes to the big comps.

Laurence Shahlei is another british lifter who is a different class from Felix
Old 09-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Kieron

Shalei is a very up and coming lifter. Impressive showing at this (and last) years worlds! One to watch for the future for sure as I don't think he has reached his full potential yet despite what he has achieved so far.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lads quick question... My new gym is shit and is more a family place. No one dead lifts in there but i tried it for last 2weeks. Got 12reps of 120kg. Thy dont have a proper bar either. Its a long ez bar and the weights fall of the end
Anyway my question is do u lower the bar so weights touch the floor after each rep or keep them a few mm up? Might be stupid question but got no one there to ask.

Cheers luke
Old 09-11-2011, 07:31 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

I always touch the ground after every rep. Alot of people including myself sometimes use the floor to bounce it back up.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38 PM
krypton

Thats fair going in that video of Hollands. Have you seen that latest few of him Coldo? the one with the circus dumbell and axel press?

Got to agree about shalei think him and Hollands will be knocking on the door for the WSM title next year. Been lots of strongman on eurosport recently
Old 10-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Kieron

with regards to touching the floor it is all down to personal preference. some would say that by not touching you are keeping tension on all the time whereas others (me inc.) think that a full rep is down to the deck and then start again.

I'm also not a big fan of discounting the negative. Lots of big lifters will lift it up and then drop the weight.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:39 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

kieron i may drop the weight on my 12th rep but never before that. What is the correct way to go back to start position. Vids on you tube show how to lift and stand up but not back down!

The reason i asked about touching the ground as deadlifts arent the same as training rest of your body down the gym as i believe its best to touch the ground after each rep but not bounce it. What bars are u all using for deadlifts?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Kieron

I go back down the same way I go up. Its the reverse movement.

Generally use an Olympic bar, 20 plates on the end. My legs are the weak point of deads for me but if it was back I would be doing rack pulls instead.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 PM
krypton

Only bad thing about the gym i use is when doing deadlifts you can never do them proper Ie off the floor. So little room only place to do them is in the power rack which means i have to start with the weights about a half inch of the floor

Quick Reply: Deadlift Challenge