Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

FAO someone that knows nutrition

Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
gordyshreds
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAO someone that knows nutrition

I'm looking for a bit of advice on my diet. Take a look at my other post to see my marathon training plan, so take that amount of running into account,plus say cycling or surfing on rest days and tell me what I should be eating? I really really want to loose some weight at the same time. At the moment im eating e.g...
Breakfast- Porridge
Lunch- Soup with brown pitta bread
Dinner- Cup of brown pasta with 3 eggs and tomato sauce
Snack- Wholemeal pitta with tuna, various fruit, rivittas with cream cheese and peanut butter

am I eating too many carbs? how can I cut down on carbs but keep energy up??

thanks for any advice

Last edited by gordyshreds; 05-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nothing wrong with carbs mate. If anything i'd say eat more. Introduce a snack like u say inbetween breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. As long as u keep the fat content of your food down then u will gain muscle with the wright exercise but burn your fat of with your running. One thing i would suggest is though your lunch and dinner need more protein. U got carbs with the rise but u need some meat or fish with them too. What i do is buy a big frozen bag of chicken pieces from sainsburys for about 4quid max and i defrost what i need the night before and cook it first thing in the morning while you get ready. P.s drop soup for your lunch its got nothing of any valve in it either
Old 05-08-2011, 01:40 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nothing wrong with carbs mate. If anything i'd say eat more. Introduce a snack like u say inbetween breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner. As long as u keep the fat content of your food down then u will gain muscle with the wright exercise but burn your fat of with your running. One thing i would suggest is though your lunch and dinner need more protein. U got carbs with the rise but u need some meat or fish with them too. What i do is buy a big frozen bag of chicken pieces from sainsburys for about 4quid max and i defrost what i need the night before and cook it first thing in the morning while you get ready. P.s drop soup for your lunch its got nothing of any valve in it either. Hope that helps mate im no expert though
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 PM
gordyshreds

hey thanks for the reply, may be worth say having chicken or tuna in pita for lunch instead then? i've never tried using shakes but think it may be worth a go? how would i fit that it, like one before and one after a long run?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

IMO it doesnt look like too many carbs just too higer %age.

You need to be working out the macros of your meals as best as possible.

Breakfast- Porridge -
Lunch- Soup with brown pitta bread
Dinner- Cup of brown pasta with 3 eggs and tomato sauce
Snack- Wholemeal pitta with tuna, various fruit, rivittas with cream cheese and peanut butter
Breakfast - looks alright there Maybe add in a protein shake, make sure hte porridge is unrefined plain porridge, add in some fruit, or even peanut butter (gets the fat and protein up a little.

Lunch - Depends on the soup really, Veggies are good for carb sources as they are fibrous and unrefined. But idd add in some protein here, maybe another shake? whatever you enjoy.

Dinner - Again not bad there is some decent protein there form teh eggs, maybe swith it up with chicken breast etc?

Snacks look good, as long as you dont go mad on teh pittas and ryvitas , the tuna/fruit/creamcheese/pb are great additions maybe cottage cheeese could be switched in.

Im sure some others will come along to assist.

Lukey - i agree with alot of your points but this is wrong:

As long as u keep the fat content of your food down then u will gain muscle with the wright exercise but burn your fat of with your running.
You will 'burn fat off' be reducing bodyfat% this is achieved by eating a clean well split diet with a calorie defecit. The muscles grow by feeding your body the correct nutrients and by lifting heavy.

Theres no reason your daily intake of fat should be below %20 of your calories (bear in mind fat is twice as calorific as protein and carbs at 9kcal/g)

I might have taken your comment wrong - i apologise , im jsut sick of seeing '99% fat free!' and stuff like that and people filling themselves to the brim with CARBSCARBSCARBS and listening to these stupid TV diets.

Of course you dont want to be eating puddles of grease but fat is GOOD for you!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by gordyshreds
hey thanks for the reply, may be worth say having chicken or tuna in pita for lunch instead then? i've never tried using shakes but think it may be worth a go? how would i fit that it, like one before and one after a long run?

Shakes are an excellent way of keeping your protein intake up without having to spend a long time cooking and eating , so its good for mornigs where youre rushed or at work where you cant get up and cook chicken every hour.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

I agree with the above, add in more protein, you muscles need it to recover. Also fats are required. Healthy fats in your diet are essential and its carbs that are the enemy with regards to weight gain. All these zero fat foods that are advertised are FULL of carbs, yet they get away witth it because its not strictly false advertising. Just very misleading.

If you are feeling bloated and lethargic, drop some carbs. If you have a good balance you will know. Also you need to get the bulk of them carbs in before your runs. Dont necessarily need them it big quantities all day long imho.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 AM
Danny.
PassionFord Regular

Carbs are not the enemy, or protein or fat. Overconsuming calories is the problem.

I see alot of people cut carbs out but increase protein in fear of losing muscle only to then actually be eating more calories then before they cut carbs, and they then wonder why weight loss is slow!

Gordyshreds - if you want someone to make you a diet you will need to give alot more info rather than what you eat at the moment. I.e What's you weight, height, Age and bodyfat level at the moment? What do you do for a living? (desk job or calorie burning labour?) what time you get up and go to bed. Whether eating every three hours is a problem, allergies to certain foods? What training you do at the moment etc etc
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
gordyshreds

hey danny, ok here is a break down,
check my thread here https://passionford.com/forum/fitnes...o-updates.html

this charts my exercise plan, mostly running and on the Rest/CT days i normally surf or go down the gym and do myself a basic circuit or do some CV work. I'm in the forces and work as a helicopter mechanic so fairly active job. No food allergys. My job allows me to eat pretty much when I like and also get the training in i want. I work lots of various shifts, Days, Earlys, Lates, Nights, bit of a mixture.

My fitness isn't too bad, as you can see from my plan i'm running between 5-12 miles at a time at the moment and doing it fine. My problem is I weigh a fair bit and want to drop maybe a stone and a half or so. I know from previous experience when i'm at my peak fitness I weigh 13 1/2 stone.

I'm looking to see what I should eat so i loose weight yet still get my runs in. I don't weight train as I don't want to bulk up but do basic sit ups, press ups and pull ups every other day.

I enjoy eating and I think this is half the problem! this weekend for example i've munched loads of snacks! Is it worth me writing down a weeks diet plan and sticking to it, maybe on the 7th day adding in a treat to look forward too??

Many thanks for any advice
Old 07-08-2011, 10:20 AM
gordyshreds

i've spent the morning looking into this, plus using what I know already I can see instantly where i'm going wrong. I'm planning my intake around Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner no matter when i'm training. I need to be eating smaller meals more regular. I have been eating too many dead carbs, some days i'd have maybe 3 pitta breads and 6 rivittas and then my pasta dinner and porridge at breakfast. Also noticed soup has a hell of a lot of carbs and not much else.
My plan is to eat only when hungry, incorporate protein shakes into my diet as i feel on days when i feel "slow" it's more to do with tired muscles than physically being tired. Also I need to man up and stop munching whatever I want at the weekends! Maybe treat myself on a sunday to some Fajetas rather than a pizza!

I don't think it's rocket science, think I have just been weak and had the wrong mix of foods and not enough protein and also not enough fresh fruit and veg in the day.

On a plus side i'm happy I am keeping to my runs, as much as I can't be arsed to do 12 miles today I know I will!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
MrEngineerdat
BANNED
BANNED

plenty of carbs is good for the energy bursts but excessive amounts will end up being stored as body sugars in the fatty tissues and can sometimes leave the muscles feeling lathargic.
the fact that you eat wholegrain stuff is good keep that up.
but feed your muscles with plenty of protien for repairs as you have an active life. 100g of quality meat a day should be enough but i like more.
good mineral intake is essential if your body is to make the best of the stuff you give it.
its not necesary to eat a wildly natural diet with lots of odd things goin on, but keep a variety of tastes in your food, never only eat one thing, it defficient and you could become ill.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 AM
bubs_rsturbo

to put it simple get a steady protein supply into your body throughout the day, secondly as stated before carbs are your friend for energy, you just need to fine tune how much your body needs to have enough energy but no too much that its stores it as fat! try cottage cheese and 3 spoonfulls of peanut butter followed by a whey protein shake before bed. thats what i do. i also dive my proteins and carbs quite easily too

PROTEIN
chicken
eggs
beef (usually steak)
tuna
salmon
turkey (leaner than chicken)
peanut butter (more for the healthy fat benefit)
whey protein (currently on usn anabolic)

CARBS
potato
sweet potato
rice
noodles
oats

VEG
brocolli
spinach
stir frys
any dark leavy veg is good

DAIRY
cottage cheese
whole milk
greek yoghurt

FRUIT
mixed fruit smoothie ( mixed berries, blueberrys banana orange juice)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
MrEngineerdat
BANNED
BANNED

remeber vit c is well important
ya body doesnt have reserves for this and only has what youve consumed floating around in ya blood.
essential for the proper distribution of protien fibres when repairing.
hundreds of years ago sailors would get SCURVY from lack of vit c. you probably wont get that bad but it highlights the need for it.
the body is in a constant state of repair even if at a slow rate. and if your bodys making bodge repairs for ages it'll soon take its toll.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
MrEngineerdat
BANNED
BANNED

calcium, potassium, sodium, magnesium
if you can achieve good levels of this lot in your blood you will have great muscle control