Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Anyone On This Forum Own Or Run A Gym?

Old 21-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone On This Forum Own Or Run A Gym?

Just came into a decent amount of cash, and instead of wasting it on Cosworth's and other things I'd love to spend it on, I was thinking of opening my own gym. Just a little body-building gym I suppose with a bit of cardio'.

Any advice?

Benni
Old 21-07-2011, 11:01 PM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my mates got one dont bother you will lose your money
Old 22-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by RUBY123
my mates got one dont bother you will lose your money
You're not the only person to say this.

Benni
Old 22-07-2011, 08:36 AM
p17fld
Advanced PassionFord User

You'd be better off puttng cash into an iPhone app or a body building website. I can't see how people can make money off gym membership alone, unless you're supplying 'extras' to your clients (protein shakes etc of course).
Old 22-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Kieron

Too many big chains like David Lloyd & DW Fitness etc that you will not be able to compete with on a gym/fitness/leisure level. Therefore its going to have to be a real spit and sawdust bodybuilder/powerlifter type gym. Are there any of those in your area and if not is there the demand?

Cheap and cheerful with alot of iron! But doubt there is much money in it at all.
Old 22-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Kieron
Too many big chains like David Lloyd & DW Fitness etc that you will not be able to compete with on a gym/fitness/leisure level. Therefore its going to have to be a real spit and sawdust bodybuilder/powerlifter type gym. Are there any of those in your area and if not is there the demand?

Cheap and cheerful with alot of iron! But doubt there is much money in it at all.
That's exactly what I'd want and the one by mine does very well, although the owner sells other supplements.

Benni
Old 22-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

came into a bit of money and u want to open a gym.
bloody hell how much did u come into ?

some people have all the luck with money

boooo hooooo

Ben
Old 23-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Kieron

Originally Posted by Benni
That's exactly what I'd want and the one by mine does very well, although the owner sells other supplements.

Benni
So you already have competition so its not exactly a niche market.

I'm sure you could suppliment your income if you wanted but you need to be different. I would think of different pieces of equipment that the normal gym doesn't have to attract people in like tyres, chains, yokes, sleds, box jumping etc etc.

There seems to be a trend at the moment for back to basics training outside. I am seeing lots of normal people joining up to these bootcamps in the morning. Employ someone to run this style event.. The money isn't going to come from your meatheads that pay £20 a month, its going to be from the fad trainers.

Also advise on nutrition too, keto diets seem to be the trend. You might need to go back to school to get some qualifications.

You need to do a bit extra imo like putting on some events to draw people in. Charity type things or seminars with bodybuilders, local powerlifting/strength comp, get members to form a tug of war team. ind you, thats a long way off.

If your serious with it then good luck.
Old 23-07-2011, 03:13 PM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i genuinely believe body building gyms are on there way out its a dieing trade with as said above big chains moving in. the few gyms i know just about brake even maybe a small profit and rely on as someone put it extras and one place i know drops around a grand a month
Old 23-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'm sure you could suppliment your income if you wanted but you need to be different. I would think of different pieces of equipment that the normal gym doesn't have to attract people in like tyres, chains, yokes, sleds, box jumping etc etc.

There seems to be a trend at the moment for back to basics training outside. I am seeing lots of normal people joining up to these bootcamps in the morning. Employ someone to run this style event.. The money isn't going to come from your meatheads that pay £20 a month, its going to be from the fad trainers.

Also advise on nutrition too, keto diets seem to be the trend. You might need to go back to school to get some qualifications.

You need to do a bit extra imo like putting on some events to draw people in. Charity type things or seminars with bodybuilders, local powerlifting/strength comp, get members to form a tug of war team. ind you, thats a long way off.

Well the person who owns the only other gym around here is a relative, so I wouldn't want to step on his toes as for one, he's a genuinely nice fella and for two he's not so nice if you upset him.

I know a lot about training and dietitng now and have helped loads. Most don't follow my advice obviously and have a mate who knows better, and never change but some have come on great including my mate Marc.

As for your idea on the back to basics, sounds good!

Benni

Last edited by Benni; 23-07-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 23-07-2011, 05:24 PM
LukeDaisley
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

put your money into South Sudan. that place is the next dubi but without all the Muslim rubbish, (no sex before marriage, etc.)
Old 23-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by Benni
Well the person who owns the only other gym around here is a relative, so I wouldn't want to step on his toes as for one, he's a genuinely nice fella and for two he's not so nice if you upset him.

I know a lot about training and dietitng now and have helped loads. Most don't follow my advice obviously and have a mate who knows better, and never change but some have come on great including my mate Marc.

As for your idea on the back to basics, sounds good!

Benni
Knowing alot about training and being qualified are different things.

Without sounding a prize cunt how are you looking nowadays? People are going to want to listen to someone who looks like they know what they are talking about. I know you don't have to look good to know things but the sort of people that will want your advice are all about the looks....
Old 24-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Without sounding a prize cunt how are you looking nowadays? ....

basically send him a PM with some naked pics
Old 24-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Knowing alot about training and being qualified are different things.

Without sounding a prize cunt how are you looking nowadays? People are going to want to listen to someone who looks like they know what they are talking about. I know you don't have to look good to know things but the sort of people that will want your advice are all about the looks....

I know exactly what you mean. I was looking great, very low bodyfat and some serious muscle. In fact, friends were telling me to show them my arms all the time, which I never did. I've been having serious mobility issues and put on a bit of weight, and lost a bit of muscle but I will soon be getting back into it.

Gutted I was... Looking in the mirror made me feel sick.

Benni
Old 25-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I totally agree with this. I also have a friend who owns a Blackpool gym and he has been on a loss for over a year now and is thinking of calling it a day now that Blackpool have opened up yet abnother huge sports centre with a great gym in it.

Just think, even if you have 100 members going 3x a week every month at £30 per month, Thats only £36k per annum incoming. You would never pay a decent wage on that after costs, let alone repay the capital expended to buy the expsnsive equipment you need. in my opinion, a gym is a flawed business plan in ecvery sense. The only way to make money from them is fads and even banatyne, buy his own admission, makes his money from a type of fear fo failure continuation of funding. I will explain that if you not sure what I mean.
Old 25-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy a rental property instead Benni, its very hard to lose on property long term if you have no interest to pay.