Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Help and advice needed please (new gym member)(work out now added)

Old 14-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help and advice needed please (new gym member)(work out now added)

Ok ladys and gents im after any Advice,Tips and general guidance for a new gym member??

Im quite lucky i have not had to join the gym due to wanting to loose weight its more just due to having a shed load of spare time on my hands after finishing a resto projsect and the end of a 6 year relationship, and im sick of having no body shape other than resembles a coat hanger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cardio v side of things im ok really ive spent all my life riding mtbs, and complete a half marathon last year in 1 hour 35 with absolutly no training (i did feel rough for about 2 weeks after though)

Its more the weights ad diet side of things i really need help with, at the moment i curent weight is 13.5 stone and im 6ft 3in so my bmi is 23.4, so im "classed" as Normal weight what ever normal weight is,
Im not really interested in putting on much more weight although i do realise that once i start to increase muscle mass my weight will increase,

And to be fair im looking to tone up more than bulk up, im no meat head n not really interested in being ha

Im currently going to the gym 3 days a week and i swim 2 days a week, my gym work out consists of 60m cv then a weight s routine,

So any help and suggestions with diet and weight routines would be great.....................

and also has any one got any work out suggestions for the abbs and obliques,

Cheers jay

Last edited by Tev; 15-12-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 14-12-2009, 09:22 PM
B1G_RST
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got and enjoy yourself mate, work 2 body parts a night, chest and tris ect, take your time and the weight will go up,
Old 14-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by B1G_RST
just got and enjoy yourself mate, work 2 body parts a night, chest and tris ect, take your time and the weight will go up,

cheers bud any sugestions on diet
Old 15-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Post up your weights routine and people will tell you whether it's a good one or not. If you are going three times a week and doing 2 body parts, you should be fitting everything in. I see a lot in my gym do Bicep and Chest three times a week and nothing else. One day these people will look deformed. You don't want that!!

As for your diet, how serious are you? You'll still gain muscle having three good meals a day, but obviously not as much as someone who is having 6 smaller meals a day spread out every 2 - 3 hours.

My meal will always consist of low GI carbs and a good meat. Example: Chicken and rice, new Potatoes and tuna, Chicken and new potatoes.

There's not much variation there, but I am on a strict diet because I am loosing weight. You don't need too! If I don't have my carbs, I don't have much energy at the gym and obviously I need the chicken for the protien. I have that meal three times a day, and three protein shakes spread out from when I awake to around 8 at night.

You could probaly have three good meals with your breakfast, and a protein shake post workout, so directly after you train.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 15-12-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Benni
Post up your weights routine and people will tell you whether it's a good one or not. If you are going three times a week and doing 2 body parts, you should be fitting everything in. I see a lot in my gym do Bicep and Chest three times a week and nothing else. One day these people will look deformed. You don't want that!!
Haha good poitn im really after a alround work out

As for your diet, how serious are you? You'll still gain muscle having three good meals a day, but obviously not as much as someone who is having 6 smaller meals a day spread out every 2 - 3 hours.
now this is where i come unstuck, i like food and more to the point i like eating, ha

But i have been thinking bout it today and to be fair i can't see the point im me exercisin near enogh 5 times a week to only let myselfdown by diet,

What i reallt need to decide is how and what i go about changing

My meal will always consist of low GI carbs and a good meat. Example: Chicken and rice, new Potatoes and tuna, Chicken and new potatoes.

There's not much variation there, but I am on a strict diet because I am loosing weight. You don't need too! If I don't have my carbs, I don't have much energy at the gym and obviously I need the chicken for the protien. I have that meal three times a day, and three protein shakes spread out from when I awake to around 8 at night.
This to me dosent actually sound that bad althogh it must get slightly borin
You could probaly have three good meals with your breakfast, and a protein shake post workout, so directly after you train.

Benni.
chers jay

Last edited by Tev; 15-12-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Ok as suggested by benni i thought it would be a ggod idea to add my work ou to the thread,

Please bear in mind that this program s a really rough guid line that i was given om my gym induction, im due a review in the next couuple of session to creat a work out for my personal needs

So..

fter 60mins of cardio i move on to weight

Leg Press...2reps of 8 working to fail
Leg Extension...2reps of 8 working to fail
Leg Curl...2reps of 8 working to fail
Lat Pull Dow...2reps of 8 working to fail
Chest Press...2reps of 8 working to fail
Shoulder Press...2reps of 8 working to fail
Tricep Extension....2reps of 8 working to fail
Bicep curl (dumbells)....2reps of 8 working to fail

The reps of 8 are to increase to reps of 12 when i become used to the weight,
Old 18-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I just spent an hour writing a massive reply and because of this fucking retarded forum I lost it all. I could fucking scream, honestly. Seriously fucking annoyed now!

Benni.
Old 18-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

I just spent an hour writing a massive reply and because of this fucking retarded forum I lost it all. I could fucking scream, honestly. Seriously fucking annoyed now!

Benni.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOO

haha stupid fookin forum, please feel free to re-write the reply
Old 18-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'll write in in word this time. I'm fucking cursed, lol.

Benni.
Old 18-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

I'll write in in word this time. I'm fucking cursed, lol.

Benni.
Cheers bud
Old 18-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I personally could never do my weights after an hour of cardio as I would be knackered. Hell, I couldn’t even do an hour’s cardio but that’s another not altogether. So I would pick some days for your cardio, and do your weights on the other days. It seems to me also you are only doing one exercise per body part, and I don’t think it’s enough. Certainly not for shoulders, as you have three heads and you want to hit them all with isolation, and just doing some press won’t do that by itself.

Monday: Chest. Warm up with one of these exercises, and then go in heavy and hard for the rest of the workout.
Cable flies, 4 x 10 – 12 reps. ( I use these to warm up).
Incline bench press: 4 x 10 – 12 reps.
Incline Dumbbell flies: 4 x 10 – 12 reps.
Incline Bench press: 4 x 10 – 12 reps.
That’s 16 sets all together for chest. There are lots of other exercises you can use posted in a sticky at the top of this forum. There the ones I like. You might prefer flat bench press, I don’t as I’ve had it burnt into my head incline is better. Reading up though, that might not be the case.

Shoulders: Like I said, there are three heads to the shoulder, and all need to be targeted. Many forget all about the rear, and they’ll never have full developed shoulders. A fully developed shoulder from the back looks great in my opinion.
Cross cables: I use these to warm up. A little bit like the cable flies but bring them down to your side and not outwards. I do 15 reps to warm up. 4 x 15.
Should press, there’s a few you can choose from. Behind the neck press, front barbell press and dumbbell press. Behind the neck gives you a real burn, so I like to do these straight after front press sometimes. But in general, pick one.
Side lateral, 4 x 10 – 12 reps.
Bent over side lateral, 4 x 10 – 12 reps.
So that’ll work out to 16 sets again, and I then finish off by doing my traps. Some do these with back, I like to do them with my shoulders as do many others. 4 sets with a dumbbell or a barbell.

Back, I do my lat pull downs, 4 x 10 – 12 in front and then the same for behind. Bent over dumbbell rows 10 – 12. Neal on a bench and do one arm at a time. Then there are a few back machines I use, your gym will have similar ones, otherwise check out the thread I mentioned, and pick some from there.

For my arms I do 12 sets, bicep 12 and triceps 12. Barbell curls, seated machine curls, and I finish on the cables with an exercise were you pull the cables into your head using your forearm. Not sure on the name, but it’s good. You’ll see someone else doing It and copy I suspect.

So all in all for my main body parts I do 16 sets and 12 for my arms. You could do Chest, on Monday, back on Tuesday and shoulders and arms Wednesday and legs on Friday with your abs.

I haven’t mentioned legs as I do them different to most, as I have problems and can only do certain things restricted so would be no good to you. Again, there are exercises in the thread I mentioned. Please remember, I know very little myself so I am only trying to help as much as I can. The PF crew will probably tare this a apart, but I don’t see them giving advice so I couldn’t care. All the best with it.

Benni. J

Last edited by Benni; 18-12-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 18-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The PF crew will probably tare this a apart, but I don’t see them giving advice so I couldn’t care. All the best with it.

Benni. J
Here it comes....

Nah... to be honest Benni isn't far off. (imo)

However, when anyone ever asks me for a training plan, which is pretty often nowadays and very few of them ever stick to it so it gets annoying, I ALWAYS get them to formulate their workout around the 3 main compound exercises - Squat, Deadlift and Flat Bench Press. I also prefer to start every workout with a heavy compound, similar to below;

Chest
Flat Bench - this is the heavy compound
Incline DB Press
Flat DB Flies
Cable Crossovers

Legs
Squats - this is the heavy compound
Calve Raises
BB Lunges
Leg Raises

Back
Deadlift - heavy compound
Yates/Bent Over BB Rows
Lat Pulldown
T Bar Row

Shoulders
Standing Barbell Shoulder Press - heavy compound
Side DB raises
Front DB raises
Shrugs (i do these on shoulder day, some do it on back)

Biceps
Straight Bar Curls - heavy compound
Seated DB Curls
Cable Curls

Triceps
Close Grip Bench Press - heavy compound
Cable Pushdowns, Straight Bar
Overhead DB extension

On the compound movements, go as heavy as you can, for 4 sets of 6-8 reps. This will build strength and size(have you ever seen a small powerlifter?) the rest of the movements should be seen as assistance work almost.

All that said, the key to building and maintaining muscle is diet. You will see "n00b" gains for the first 6/8weeks with any kind of weight training, after that without proper(or at least average) nutrition not much will change.

All the above is my opinion/experience. Everyone differs though. You might find behind the neck shoulder pressing works for you for example, if so - do it.
Old 19-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I recomended 12 reps as he will be going light until he has better form if he is a newbie. I did this for a while and now I aim for 10 reps and will get 10 for the first set and then maybe if I am lucky get another 10 and then a 9 and an 8. Depending how I am and on the excercise. I've never done flat bench press, as I just prefer incline. Being honest though, I am a newbie myself. I was lucky as I joined a gym owned by friends, so from the moment I walked in I had professional Bodybuilders showing me everything I needed to know.

Opinions will differ, but as he says it will all be a waste of time without the diet I reckon. Not a waste of time, but you might as well see all the gains you can. I take three meals to college at the moment, all cold and disgusting. But I do it because I don't wanna' go the gym and work hard to not get the best from it.

Benni.
Old 24-12-2009, 11:38 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these fancy names for different exercises, but what are they? Is there a website which tells me what is say, an "inclined DB press" etc etc?

It's hard to know you are doing them right without a partner I think
Old 25-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by OldDan
All these fancy names for different exercises, but what are they? Is there a website which tells me what is say, an "inclined DB press" etc etc?

It's hard to know you are doing them right without a partner I think
Type the name in Youtube and then you'll have a good idea. If it's a skinny guy pick another one... It doesn't work. LOL. If you want me to come to Manchester and show you in person, I'll gladly come down and show you. I'm no expert but can get you started!

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 25-12-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 25-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

try www.exrx.net loads of excercises with little vids to show what they are
Old 25-12-2009, 02:48 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers boys - need to join a gym first Benni!
Old 26-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Sorr i havent had time to reply guys been far to busy with work,
Thanx benni and coldo for taking the time to reply!!!!!

im sure once i have go my head around it all the replys will be a massive help!

cheers jay