Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Proof these Fad diets are no good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proof these Fad diets are no good?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0Qcg38eHi

Diet and cardio is the way to go, 530cals a day, wtf?
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff said it was 'highly likely' Miss Clowe died from cardiac arrhythmia - a potentially fatal condition involving an irregular heart beat.

He said:'The evidence cannot point one way or the other as to whether her indulging in that diet has in any way caused or contributed to her death.'
No, that doesnt really sound like this one is proof, but its not exactly rocket science than eating almost fuck all is bad for you.

TBH though, she was massively obese (BMI of 37) and died of a heart condition, its more likely that being obese killed her than that the diet did IMHO

Last edited by Chip; 11-09-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:47 AM
pete26
Regular Contributor

These 'fad diets' piss me off! Same as BMI, it's a guide but people take it as 100% and then leads them to crash diets, fad diets or worse starvation! Eat well and exercise, worked for me and plenty others.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

crash diets are generally not as bad for you as being massively obese
Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

530 calories a day is still a really big 'WTF'.

Benni.
Old 14-09-2009, 08:05 AM
JoeE30
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any diet that uses a shake as a MRP isnt a diet its starvation in my eyes. I train 5 days a week weight lifting and just to keep myself trim due to being an Endomorph i do around 45mins cardio a day in the gym not including my job which is physical. All you are doing when you eat so little is starving yourself...crazy
Old 19-09-2009, 06:53 AM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

Having been on lighter life I feel I am some what better qualified than some to post on this,

In January this year I weighed 18 stone and wanting to lose weight and more important to me was a loss of body fat, I used LL to kick start a healthy lifestyle, I dropped 3 stone in 8 weeks (which is what LL say a man should lose on their 8 week program) however since March through going to the gym and gradually increasing my food and more importantly the different types of food I eat I lost another stone.

I lost 4 stone in total however over the last 2 months I have seen my weight rise by about 1/2 a stone but not too worried as over the last 2 months I have also lost another inch off my waist.

The diet is fine if it is used for the right reasons, those who go on any VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet) thinking as soon as they have lost the weight they can go back to eating what they used to will only put it all back on again.

The key is if you want to maintain your weight is to burn roughly the same amount of calories as you put in as weight loss is to burn more calories than you intake its very simple. If you eat lots and lots thats fine but to lose wieght you will have burn far more calories than someone who eats less and I agree with chip it may well have been the obesity that help them on their way not the diet.
Old 19-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I eat about 600-700cals a day with the odd blip every few days and have lost/gained repeatedly the same 2lbs for the last 2-3weeks. But, my body is used to this and my metabolism has probably slowed accordingly.
I think in her case it was probably a combination of having been obese and then the strain of losing that much weight so quickly probably finished her heart off.
There was another story a few weeks before that of a 25yr old who ate soups for about 5 months and died of ketoacidosis, which is basically when the blood becomes too acidic due to the ketones produced when the body is breaking down fat. (This is common in diabetics when, i imagine, theyve used too much insulin)