Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Loosing weight

Search this Thread

Old 17-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts
Default Loosing weight

Hi people just after a bit of help really.Im wanting to loose a bit of weight but i find it hard cause i love my food.I used to go to the gym but i simply cant afford to go now.Ive got a bit of a belly which i would like to get rid of.Is there any exercises i can do in the house and what are the best foods to eat.
Old 17-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

This is what i normaly eat.
Breakfast
digestive buscuits or cerial

First dinner break at work
A bag of crisps and a cerial bar

Second break
Pot noodle bag of crisps a banana and an apple.

Come home for my tea
Normaly spag bol or spageti and meat balls
or fish chips peas or burgers chips peas.

I sometimes have a snack later on in the night like buscuits or another bag of crisps but not all the tme.

Im a size 38 waist and ive got a biggish belly which i would like to get rid of if i can.
Old 17-08-2009, 08:18 AM
YOREVOL
YOREVOL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up drinking about 4 months ago and have lost over 2 stones and gone from 40" waist to 36".

Could murder a pint though
Old 18-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I normaly dont drink mate.I had a bottle last night and that will be it for a long while now.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditch the crisps, upto 3 bags a day?? and have a healthier meal in the evenings. Pasta is fine but burgers & chips? I expect you don't really need telling on those points, its not rocket science. Just eat better.

As for cheap exercise can you leave the house for a walk, run or bike ride?? Or are you a single parent and have to stay indoors of an evening? Anything to burn calories.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive lost just over a stone in the last 5 weeks, this is how I have done it:

BEFORE

Breakfast - coissant with ham and cheese and a red bull

Dinner - pub lunch / fish and chips / mcdonalds - with a dessert

Evening meal - pub lunch / fish and chips / mcdonalds - with a dessert

Snacks - typically 1 chocolate bar, 1 small bag of sweets such as skittles

NOW

Breakfast - cranberry juice and an apple

Dinner - pub lunch / fish and chips / mcdonalds - NO dessert and smaller portions than before

Evening meal - 375ml of fresh fruit smoothy

Snacks - apples

EXERCISE
Before - None
Now - Walk 5-6 miles a day

RESULT:
Was 15 stone 9 just under 5 weeks ago
am 14 stone 7 now

I reckon I have dropped my calorie intake from probably 4000 average before to 2000 average now, and the walking equates to about 500 calories a day burnt off in addition to just normal daily life, so im effectively about 2500 calories down on what I was, 2500 is meant to equate to about 2/3 of a lb of fat, and thats not far off the rate that I have been losing it, as Ive only been on the diet 5 days a week I still eat more or less the same as I was before at weekends, so Ive lost 16lbs in 22 days of actually dieting I reckon.

Last edited by Chip; 18-08-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Chip

PS

The logic in basically removing my evening meal was that I dont want to spend my life eating salads so I would sooner eat one meal a day I like, than two I dont like, and then I just have a fruit smoothy instead of the other meal so that my metabolic rate doesnt drop from too long a period without food intake, likewise the snacking on apples, i'll have 3 a day typically which are spread out, so my body doesnt go into "starvation" mode even though ive dropped my intake so much, also if I do feel a bit hungry and distracted I would sooner that happens of an evening than while im in work
Basically its not dissimilar to what you would do with say a "slim fast diet" but instead of a slimfast I have a smoothie
Old 18-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chances are chip, you will have lost a bit of muscle aswell as fat too in that diet. Your "now" diet is terrible if you look at the macros of it.

Should be taking in alot more protein from sources like chicken, fish, steak, eggs etc...

It's obviously had the desired effect but i dont think you are eating enough to sustain muscle mass/be healthy all round. Do you intend to keep up this diet or is it just a blast to get some weight off?
Old 18-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Coldo
Chances are chip, you will have lost a bit of muscle aswell as fat too in that diet. Your "now" diet is terrible if you look at the macros of it.

Should be taking in alot more protein from sources like chicken, fish, steak, eggs etc...

It's obviously had the desired effect but i dont think you are eating enough to sustain muscle mass/be healthy all round. Do you intend to keep up this diet or is it just a blast to get some weight off?
My lunch is normally fairly protein rich, although I listed mcdonalds as an option ive only eaten there twice in the 5 weeks, its more often a pub lunch which will be steak or fish or burger of fish and chips, and I have a protein rich diet at weekends (bear in mind im only on this diet 5 days a week not 7)

Its only a quick blast to get some initial weight loss, basically I've been loaned out to another company through work and im placed in central london at the moment, so a week into it I decided it would be a good excuse to have a temporary total change of diet and regime for that period, which is 8 weeks total, Ive got 2 weeks left now including this one, my target I set myself was to get to lose a stone, and ive already done that.

Once I go back to my normal job, im probably going to up what I eat and then hit the gym again, I just thought it would be good to get some weight off first as no one wants to watch a fat fucker on the machines

Longer term aim at the moment is I would like to get back into some form of martial art, but I dont know if I really have time in my life to fit that in or not, might be able to manage 1 session a week, its just a shitter as I would like to do it of a weekend but there are almost no weekend martial arts classes near where I stay in taunton of a weekend, they are all during the week, and during the week im up in london and tend to be busy most evenings.

We'll see how it pans out, but either way I feel its a change that has done me good so far.

Ironically the 6 miles of walking a day is an utter piece of piss, im still a lot fitter than I realised I was, although at the same time im nowhere near what I used to be at my prime when I was doing a couple of miles of running a day, 7 martial arts classes a week and a few miles of walking a day, but that was 15 years ago and I had a lot more time on my hands then!

Last edited by Chip; 18-08-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 18-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Chip

PS

Its definately fat not muscle ive mainly lost, as my belly is visibly half the size that it was, and ive lost about 4 of my chins my mum commented when she saw me and she didnt even know at the time that I was doing anything to lose weight.
Old 19-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I would walk to work but it would take me a good hour.I think i have a snack mostly on a night cause im bored if you know what i mean.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
I would walk to work but it would take me a good hour.I think i have a snack mostly on a night cause im bored if you know what i mean.
It takes me an hour on the train into london, then just under an hours walk from waterloo to where im working at the moment.

If you want to exercise you have 2 choices, either moderate exercise for a long time period (like an hour walk each way to work) or hard work for a smaller amount of time.

Ah hours walk each way would see you consuming about 600 calories or so.
Cutting out snacks would probably save you another 600 or so quite easily.

So that everyday and you will lose about 2 pounds in weight a week, or a stone every 2 months.

Up to you mate, no one else gives a fuck if you want to stay fat or not, so if you cant be bothered to do anything about it no one else is going to.
Old 19-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Perfect Walk to work then, theres your answer. Or Bike it?

If your bored in the evenings put your ipod on and do something. Go for a walk then! Buy a cheap exercise bike or rower from the freeads, there are hundred of those for sale that bored housewifes buy but never use.
Old 31-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Im gonna get some proper food bought over the next few weeks and im gonna stop eating all the shity food and start to go running and do more exercises.My friend was round today and i was telling him about it.He said im just eating to much shite.Ididnt realise how many calories is in a digestive buscuit,i think it was 69 calories.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:41 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

chip im no qualified nutritionist but id say you could still eat more of different things and loose even more weight. you may think a fruit smoothie in the evening would be the best thing for you, but its not, that fruit smoothie probably contains as many calories from sugar as a litre of coke, which, if you dont use, will be turned to fat and stored, especially now while youre vertually starving yourself of complex carbs.

imo, aswell as/instead of the apple in the morning eat some complex carbs, ie, cereal or toast. and drop the smoothie in the evening for something like 2 tins of tuna with low fat salad cream/dressing, or something along the lines of a pack of those flavoured chicken pieces that supermarkets do, a couple of hundered grams of ham, or some low fat, low carb soup like minestrone.

try and drink some milk during the day too, iirc you like milk? and a litre of skimmed milk contains hardly any fat but plenty of proteins and a few sugars. an ideal meal/snack.

carb intake needs to eb on a sliding scale, loads on the morning to sort you out for the days work, fewer at lunch, and none in the evening, as youre just gonna be sat around doing FA. i bet if you try that for a week, you'll feel better, and may even lose more weight.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Chip

Finished anyway now Stu, and at exactly the weight I intended to be int he time I had, a stone and a half, was 15'9 at the start, and ended up 14'2 7 weeks later, wouldnt have wanted to lose it any more rapidly than that even if I could have TBH.
I was eating what was convenient, the office I was based in had free fruit delivered twice a day, so apples were an easy option, it was also easy for me to stick to for the same reason, hence unlike most people I achieved exactly the losses I set out to.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

fair one mate, just saying, in an ideal world, if you could maintain those changes in diet youd have more energy through the day and potentially lose more weight.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by xr-stu
fair one mate, just saying, in an ideal world, if you could maintain those changes in diet youd have more energy through the day and potentially lose more weight.
Or more likely, I just wouldnt have stuck to it, the biggest people make with things like weight loss or gym regimes is getting carried away and setting themself a programme they then never stick to, you being a perfect example actually, lol

The single most important rule, is you do something that fits into your life without you resenting it, people getting that one wrong are wasting their time!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:48 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my biggest problem is change of routine/living arrangements etc. during the 8-10 weeks i was training in ireland, i stuck to my diet with only the odd night on the booze and occasional piece of fried chicken and chips, or bag of sweets as a treat.

i can quite easily stick to a routine when i get into it, it always just seems to change! working nights was a ball ache too.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Chip

Exactly my point, I picked something that I knew would work in the time I had that fitted in easily with my lifestyle, thus making it easy to stick to, and as a result I lost an average of 3lbs a week every week for the whole 7 weeks, if I had started trying to aim for 4-5 lbs a week instead, I probably wouldnt have found it convenient to stick to and may not have managed to lose anything at all.
What I need to decide now, is wether I want to lose anymore weight or not, and if I do then now Im back in my normal office and its no longer convenient to walk 6 miles a day like it was the last couple of months, what regime I need to do this time, for now though, im quite happy hovering around the 14 stone mark, its a weight that I think suits me without being as unhealthy as being nearly 16 was.