Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Half Price Protein

Search this Thread

Old 28-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half Price Protein

Looks like Holland and Barratt have one of their sales on Whey Protein at the moment. £12.49 a tub, less than half price and an absolute bargain for those on a budget.

I highly recommend the Vanilla.
Old 28-07-2009, 03:03 PM
kiddie

What size tub mate?
Old 28-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Kieron

Just under a kilo
Old 29-07-2009, 12:33 AM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

TBH far too low level of protein per serving for me even at that price!!

Ok you do get 37 serving to 908grams BUT you only get 17.16grams of protein per serving and thats half of most other brands out there and the carbs are low which is good but its just over 65% sugar so not good for the fat!!

Ide stick with myprotein,nutrisport 90+ etc etc just IMO though
Old 29-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Kieron

Can you not make a larger serving then or do you have to stick to exactly what it says on the back of the tub? I make mine up in a mixboy with about a pint of milk and a good three scoops.

I'm sorry but I cannot afford the expensive stuff and at the price this cannot be ignored. My personal circumstances do not allow me to spend £30 on a tub every cuople of three weeks. I have used it for a couple of years now and dont have anything bad to say. I have taken shakes on and off for nigh on 15 years and I can stomach this one which means alot to me. I have bought tubs of stuff in the past and had to give them away.

I don't understand the sugar point you are making? 24G serving = 1.14g of sugar? I'm not really an expert on working out all the percentages etc (as you can tell by me recommending this poor shake lol) but the way I see it, some protein is better than nothing? You wouldn't think twice about eating a peanut butter cake and how much fat is in one of those?

I cant afford the expensive stuff and this, I Believe, is a very good substitute.
Old 29-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Kieron

I've just done a quick comparison between this and the 90+ stuff to try and get my head around it. A 90+ serving is made with a pint and you mix 50g of powder. this gives you the following per serving:

Protein: 43g
Carbs: 3.4g
of Sugar: 2.4g
Fat: 1.4g

If you double up the recommended 24g serving of H&B to 48G which is close enough you get:

Protein: 35.64g
Carbs: 3.22g
of Sugar: 2.28g
Fat: 4g

Slightly less protein and sugar but more fat. Is it really that far off given the difference in price?

As said I am a bit nieve with the labels so the above could be completely irrelevant as its just the simple way I view it. Maybe you still get 37 servings to a tub and then the prices become similar? I dunno but very interested as I am obviously pumping my body full of the wrong stuff and would genuinely love to amend the error of my ways.
Old 29-07-2009, 05:00 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieron
I've just done a quick comparison between this and the 90+ stuff to try and get my head around it. A 90+ serving is made with a pint and you mix 50g of powder. this gives you the following per serving:

Protein: 43g
Carbs: 3.4g
of Sugar: 2.4g
Fat: 1.4g

If you double up the recommended 24g serving of H&B to 48G which is close enough you get:

Protein: 35.64g
Carbs: 3.22g
of Sugar: 2.28g
Fat: 4g

Slightly less protein and sugar but more fat. Is it really that far off given the difference in price?

As said I am a bit nieve with the labels so the above could be completely irrelevant as its just the simple way I view it. Maybe you still get 37 servings to a tub and then the prices become similar? I dunno but very interested as I am obviously pumping my body full of the wrong stuff and would genuinely love to amend the error of my ways.
holland and barratt stuff is shite,it tastes rank and too much fat,to get the same protein as above ur takin in 3-4 times as much fat,stick to myprotein

Last edited by JamboRS; 29-07-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 29-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Kieron

Can anyone else offer something a bit more constructive please? I would genuinely like to know why its that bad??
Old 29-07-2009, 06:04 PM
colarado red
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

just log on to myprotein much better value when bought in bulk and far superior quality imo
Old 29-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by colarado red
just log on to myprotein much better value when bought in bulk and far superior quality imo
Thanks for that. I've just had a look round and it does seem very good value for money. What stuff does everyone go for?
Old 29-07-2009, 10:44 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Can anyone else offer something a bit more constructive please? I would genuinely like to know why its that bad??

I will be 100% honest here mate.......I was at my biggest when using H&B protien!! I get on famously with it.

Myprotien is good stuff, well excellent stuff considering price and has a nice chain of amino acid's too
Old 30-07-2009, 12:31 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

In that case then I am going to go out and buy some... Cheers, Kieron!

Benni.
Old 30-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Kieron

I've looked at the myprotein site and was impressed with the prices. I havent had a look at the content levels per shake yet but first impressions are good. I will have a better look at lunch time.

Call me old fashioned though but its nice to actually walk into a shop a mile away from my house and get something there and then that I pay for. Plus I dont have a credit card so am reluctant to pay online. I'm sure its very safe but like I say, I'm an old man. lol. I am seriously tempted to ask the wife to put some myprotein on her credit card though so I can give it a whirl.

With regards to the H&B stuff though I appreciate your comments Paul. I'm sure thats going to change the opinion of the whole of PF now the oracle has spoken. pmsl.

I know its not the best stuff out there but you get what you pay for I guess. However, for the money I dont think its that bad and I really really rate the taste of the Vanilla. I am all ears when it comes to putting me straight about how good or bad it is but lets discuss it properly and not just come out with "its shite" as that doesn't help me change my mind. If someone could please prove me wrong and convince me that it really is that bad I will stop buying it. I dont wish to be training hard and then wasting my time by not refueling my muscles with a good protein.

Last edited by Kieron; 30-07-2009 at 08:50 AM.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

On teh face of it I domnt see much wrong with it either for the money!

Lets keep the childish replies to the muppet room please, structured comments and advice only in this room. Kieron has been training longer than most of the people on this forum and doesnt deserve to be spoken to like an idiot. Experience counts for a lot more than books chaps and ive always appreciated his excellent advice.
Old 30-07-2009, 12:17 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Ok Kieron to put it simply the actual content of the protein they use iseant up to scratch.You get protein powder than proper protein powder and H&B stuff is the cheapest version there is.Its not filtered in a good way etc and iseant produced to a good standard

Its like the difference of having chips and battered fish from chip shop compared to having fresh fish cooked and a nice potion of potatoes they are essentially the same thing but so different in how they are used within the body if that makes sense!!

I know what im trying to say but just cant get it into words
Old 30-07-2009, 12:32 PM
kiddie

Kieron, from your pictures the H&B protein is doing you no harm!!!
Old 30-07-2009, 12:33 PM
Kieron

I undertand what your saying How do you work that out? I just want to understand so that I don't make the same mistake again with whatever i replace it with if I change.

and if I go for the similarly priced myprotein which type do I go for as they list about 8 different ones?
Old 30-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by kiddie
Kieron, from your pictures the H&B protein is doing you no harm!!!
Thanks Kiddie, the thing that I want to understand is, if I was taking better protein could I have been bigger or seen better results. I spose I'm not wasting my time as I've said but I might not be maximising the benefits??

Who knows if I could have grown more but its worth looking into as we all know diet is very important.

I would like to get my head around it all as its one area of the gym that I obviously don't understand. I'm just working on the basis that any protein intake is good. i.e does it matter if its in a shake, from a steak, from chicken, tuna etc etc etc, its all protein to me.
Old 30-07-2009, 12:51 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

He's right it aint doing you any harm BUT you areant maximising your protein with taking this product.Cause its cheaper protein powder it iseant absorbed the same into the muscles and more will go to waste than using better produced stuff like my protein etc etc

Basically if they can sell it sooo cheap then youve got to ask yourself what the protein powder has been produced like as they will be making 90% profit still on that price and good protein powder does not cost so little!!

Get some of this m8 http://www.wheyconsortium.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?id=2

Will last a good while (200 servings all in!!) using 50g portion per shake and will have 40g protein per shake and buying the offer your getting 10kg for £70!! Only thing is its unflavoured so just buy hot choco powder etc to add flavour

Last edited by snedboy; 30-07-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 30-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Kieron

So is it a different type of power to the others then? Is the protein extracted in a different way to the other types and how can I tell that?

Just because its cheap doesn't mean its crap? I need to know what I'm looking out for if not I could buy some overpriced stuff that is no different. I'm not saying I don't believe you sned but I, and everyone else that doent know, needs to know how to spot the poor quality stuff.

Looking at the prices its not much cheaper than the myprotein you have suggested. I would argue that H&B have a fair bit of buying power so they can afford to sell at cost when these offers are on and make the money when the price goes back up? Most people will buy one or two tubs, like it and then go back for more at the full price? Mind you this isn't a lesson in economics lol.

I will look at your link in a bit but without even clicking I am wondering where I am going to get £70 from. I dont mind the non flavoured as I can add crusher or nesquik or something

This is becoming a useful thread.
Old 30-07-2009, 01:17 PM
kiddie

I bought a 5kg tub of unflavoured from bulkpowders, it's half full-I went back to myprotein true whey as I couldn't stomach it! I used to to mix with oats and eggs in the blender to mask the taste!

Kieron if you pm me an address I'll pop it in the post
Old 30-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Kieron

Thats a very kind offer thank you, you have pm.

back on topic..
Old 30-07-2009, 02:18 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

i use this one mate,seems to be popular,check out the forums and u get some good info on products there,u can get sample sachets to try flavours,i get the strawberry but choc mint is good aswell

use this code and get 5% off ur first order MP45869

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powd...-whey-protein/
Old 30-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Kieron

Thanks Jambo. The sample sachet thing is a good idea. When I initially looked at the site I thought the 5kgs bags were a good deal but am reluctant to buy one incase I dont like it so I have considered buying 5 kgs of different flavours. Then the price is not so tempting. The offer code is helpful too.
Old 30-07-2009, 02:42 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Right on the label its states Amino Acids per 100g.These values are alot less than the powders posted for you to use rather than H&B stuff.This essentially means not as good filtered and produced powder that means alot less will get absorbed by muscle and more will go to waste

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/002698HB.pdf

Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein Isoleucine 5.8 Leucine 11.4 Lysine 9.4 Methionine 2.1 Phenylalanine 3.6 Threonine 6.1 Tryptophan 2.0 Valine 5.4
Non-Essential Amino Acids g/100g Protein Alanine 5.2 Arginine 3.0 Aspartic Acid 11.2 Cystine/Cysteine 2.5 Glutamic Acid 17.2 Glycine 2.1 Histdine 2.0 Proline 5.2 Serine 5.0 Tyrosine 3.5

Grams of Amino Acids (approximate values) per 100g:

L-Alanine 3.3 1L-Lysine 6.6
L-Arginine 2.1 1L-Methionine 1.6
L-Aspartic Acid 8.3 1L-Phenylalanine 2.4
L-Cysteine 1.5 L-Proline 4.2
L-Glutamic Acid 10.4 L-Serine 4.2
L-Glycine 1.3 1L-Threonine 5.7
1L-Histidine 1.6 1L-Tryptophan2 1.2
1L-Isoleucine 4.3 L-Tyrosine 2.2
1L-Leucine 7.8 1L-Valine 4.1

The first copy paste is My Protein second is H&B

Hope this helps to understand good from bad
Old 30-07-2009, 03:17 PM
rossco22
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Snedboy is right in what he says imo reference the diffrent qualitys of product.....
Old 31-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Kieron

OK so its all down to the amino acids in the shake and the quantities of them?

Therefore is the only way of checking that a shake is any good is to compare the figures with one that is? I'm not going to be able to go into a shop blind and pick up a tub and know that its good or bad?
Old 31-07-2009, 12:02 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

OK so its all down to the amino acids in the shake and the quantities of them?

Therefore is the only way of checking that a shake is any good is to compare the figures with one that is? I'm not going to be able to go into a shop blind and pick up a tub and know that its good or bad?
Stay wel clear of big names like maximuscle,muscletech etc etc as these are just as bad as in they are overpriced with 50% protein content per shake!! so essentially you get half the product for twice the price

Stick with myprotein,nutrisport,bulkpowders,cfm,wheyconsortiu m,bodytronics thats just of top of my head
Old 31-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Kieron

Sned mate that doesnt really answer my question. You have to understand that your dealing with an old fashion div here. lol If I can't get it right in my head what I am looking out for then it doesn't help me change my ways.

I have been training for longer than I care to mention and have seen (probably like you) vast amounts of miracle suppliments come and go. There is a new fangled potion, shake, pill, excercise etc etc every bloody month in this game. Amino acids were the in thing a few years back and then they became old hat when they discovered branch chain aminos. I am trying to simplify things for my peanut brain but its not dropping into place at the moment. The only way I can describe it is that Arnie & Ferrigno etc didn't have these things to worry about and it didn't do them any harm. I'm not a pro bodybuilder, not a good one even, so does all this anal number crunching actually mean anything to me in the real world?? and if it does then how do I decipher good from bad.

I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it, and I genuinely would like to learn more, but I have raised quite a few questions that havent really been answered. I don't distrust what your saying at all but telling someone something and actually educating them are different.
Old 31-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Snedboy, can I ask what you think of CNP? I take this as it is what sell you at the gym for £2 a shake so I bought some myself.

Benni.
Old 31-07-2009, 01:41 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

kieron i totally understand what your saying.IIRC your actually quite a large chap so i would have loved to have seen the difference in your physique had you supplemented your daily shakes with a better profiled one than H&B

Arnie etc did have all this to worry bout back then,they also had protein shakes etc to take alongside so much more BUT they were all very strict with diet so was always clean,none of this eat 20 burgers a day and watch yourself grow.You've also got to remember all these guys were eating dbol like they were going out of fashion back then

If you take note of the amino acid numbers from my protein and go to your shop etc and use these numbers as a good base point for an ideal protein shake then you wont go wrong as you need those numbers as close to those as possible so you know your buying quility processed powder.Most of it is derived from cheese anyway and is produced throughout the world but its how they then treat it after this thats essential cause if they start messing around with it adding this and that in i.e sweetners being number 1 culprit then the purity of the protein becomes less meaning less protein actually getting to your muscles meaning less gains

I honestly 100% believe changing your powder to a better brand like the many i mentioned above you will start to get better quality muscle with less fat stored around you.Also use water with them unless its the bedtime one use milk as milk slows down the intake process so if taken post workout with water its quickly shuttled to muscles if taken with milk it will almost double this process time

I hope im helping here as i honestly dont know any other way of explaining it rather than giving you contact details of some guys who actually make theyre own stuff who can then go into alot more brain bashing details about it
Old 31-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Kieron

You are helping mate and believe it or not I do understand lol. I get exactly what your saying about the aminos and the differing grades of protein but I am just trying to relate it exactly to what that means to me as well as trying to ascertain a benchmark. There are lots of things effecting progress as you know, training, sleep, diet, genes etc etc. In the real world does it actually make that much difference to a hobby (shirt lol) lifter such as myself or am I wasting my money buying the best?

I will be the first to admit I don't have a bodybuilders diet. Just the diet of a greedy sod. My training could be more intense and having a baby doesn't help my sleep patterns. So is the slightly better grade protein really that important to the average joe in the gym? I guess every little helps but at my level of involvement does it? As long as I am taking some sort of protein to refuel does the chemical aspect of it all really come into play? what if I ditched shakes alltogether and just ate Tuna? Would I then have to ensure that I only ate organic Tuna? lol I know I'm being facecious but only in the nicest possible way.

As for using myprotein as a good base for judging others how do you know thats a good one? Just from your lab coat friends on muscletalk telling you or is it just something thats general knowledge within bodybuilding circles? What I am trying to ask is that per 100g serving should I be looking for atleast *.**g of ******* acid??

As for Arnie and that I think what I was getting at was that they didn't really have the technology to be worrying about amino acid contents of proteins did they? I would guess that alot of their protein came from eggs. Thats a point, how does egg white power compare to whey?

If you do believe 100% that I would benefit from the better shake then I guess there is only one way to find out.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:13 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

You are helping mate and believe it or not I do understand lol. I get exactly what your saying about the aminos and the differing grades of protein but I am just trying to relate it exactly to what that means to me as well as trying to ascertain a benchmark. There are lots of things effecting progress as you know, training, sleep, diet, genes etc etc. In the real world does it actually make that much difference to a hobby (shirt lol) lifter such as myself or am I wasting my money buying the best?

I will be the first to admit I don't have a bodybuilders diet. Just the diet of a greedy sod. My training could be more intense and having a baby doesn't help my sleep patterns. So is the slightly better grade protein really that important to the average joe in the gym? I guess every little helps but at my level of involvement does it? As long as I am taking some sort of protein to refuel does the chemical aspect of it all really come into play? what if I ditched shakes alltogether and just ate Tuna? Would I then have to ensure that I only ate organic Tuna? lol I know I'm being facecious but only in the nicest possible way.

As for using myprotein as a good base for judging others how do you know thats a good one? Just from your lab coat friends on muscletalk telling you or is it just something thats general knowledge within bodybuilding circles? What I am trying to ask is that per 100g serving should I be looking for atleast *.**g of ******* acid??

As for Arnie and that I think what I was getting at was that they didn't really have the technology to be worrying about amino acid contents of proteins did they? I would guess that alot of their protein came from eggs. Thats a point, how does egg white power compare to whey?

If you do believe 100% that I would benefit from the better shake then I guess there is only one way to find out.
Well the basics are if you feel your diet iseant up to scratch,your training iseant as intense as once was and your sleeping pattern is getting effected then in all honesty spending that little bit extra wont benefit you 100% it would probably benefit you roughly 70% though!! compared to using what you have ide estimate roughly benefiting 45/50%

If you scrapped shakes all together and ate tuna or chicken etc thats 100 times BETTER than supplementing as its proper food giving you proper protein without chemicals etc.

Here's a quote from a bloody good manufacturer of protein

Our Whey Protein is of the highest quality!
We simply sell what we believe is the best quality whey protein powder.

It is produced using
Cross Flow Microfiltration techniques.
Cross-Flow Microfiltration is a natural, high tech manufacturing process that uses ceramic filters to remove the fat, lactose, and other unwanted materials, hence isolating the protein. The protein is NOT subjected to chemicals, therefore protein is left unharmed and in its original state. This leads to added benefits over whey produced via the ion exchange method. The CFM processing method uses a low temperature micro filtration technique that allows for the production of very high protein contents (>90%), the retention of important subfractions, extremely low fat and lactose contents, with virtually no denatured (damaged) proteins. CFM is a natural non-chemical process which employs high tech ceramic filters, unlike ion exchange, which involves the use of chemical regents such as hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. CFM whey isolate also contains high amounts of calcium and low amounts of sodium. N.B. Ion exchange isolate usually contains 3 times the sodium levels of CFM® isolate.

Each batch we receive comes with a "Certificate of Analysis" which is available for inspection at our premises.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Kieron

All that looks like to me is sales bollocks. lol

As already mentioned I think I am going to give some of the myprotein stuff a spin. Never know until I try it. I wont stop buying the H&B cheapo shakes just yet though as I like the taste of them and its still helping a bit.

Unfortunately I have nothing else to add so sadly this thread will die. Its been fun though. and probably the most I've used PF in a long time. I will let you know how I get on when I try the premium stuff.
Old 31-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Kieron

Oh and which of the different myprotein powders is the best iyho??
Old 31-07-2009, 06:57 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powd...-whey-isolate/
Old 31-07-2009, 07:17 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

is the isolate worth the extra £4.50 a kg?? the related topics on that page just say that the isolate is for people lactose intolerant

Last edited by JamboRS; 31-07-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 31-07-2009, 07:27 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Well i do as he haseant got a great diet so cutting out the extra calories and fat from his shakes will add that lil bit extra help for him all imo obviously
Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
farkkraf
Virgin

Bulk powders are even cheaper than myprotein
http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/