Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

I Have Started At A New Gym And I Have A Personal Trainer... (Question)

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Have Started At A New Gym And I Have A Personal Trainer... (Question)

Basically, he's an older lad and he used to do the competitions. He's a close family friend and whenever I go round he says it's disgusting how I am fat at my age. Anyway, to cut a long story short I agreed to scrap my fancy gym off which I never go to, and join his one. I went yesterday for the first time and we got right into it. Sometimes he forgot about my legs, (I have a faulse and poor hip) but other than that, he was fantastic.

However, yesterday when I woke up I couldn't lift myself out of bed, my arms never had the strength, nor did they bend very much without pain. I told him this and he laughed, and said see you tomorrow. So I went again yesterday and he made them stretch with more training. This morning I've woken up and not a bone in my body will move for pain. I can't stretch as my arms, shoulders back etc hurt.

He tells me no pain no gain, but this seems a little extreme, I can't even reach the gear stick in the car. Normal?

Benni.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Basically... Your a unhealthy sod! Time will tell...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Suck it up. You'll probably give in and never go back but if you stick at it the pain and stiffness will stop.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Basically... Your a unhealthy sod! Time will tell...
No point arguing with that.

Benni.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
Suck it up. You'll probably give in and never go back but if you stick at it the pain and stiffness will stop.
I don't have a choice. He'll come and carry me there if I don't show. I was late yesterday because I went for a bottle of water and there was a Queue and he phoned my dad to ask where I was. (I was about 5 minutes late).

Benni.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 AM
R1.Andy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

its true no pain no gain..and i doubt he has done any thing to harm you..as a friend he prob done it for a laugh.
but no point in ending up with that much pain as it could put u off..he should have eased you in gently then punished you
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 AM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

i wouldnt carry on training if its hurting you like that, exactly!!! the same as me when i joined the gym that my mate goes to, hes been training 2 years so got some experience and we help each other out spotting etc..

first time i went we did chest and biceps and i couldnt drive home literally i was in the carpark 1 hour after the session trying to turn the steering wheel..

i did finally get home, and i couldnt outstretch my arms for days as they wer soo painful..

but i didnt train then for 5/6 days, but when i went back for the 2nd session, it hurt but no where near as bad, then 3rd session less again,and so forth..

i would leave it for a good 5 days if i was you mate, worst thing is to overtrain as its just doing no good for you..

but im 100% you will lift and train harder next session
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by bonus_boy

i would leave it for a good 5 days if i was you mate, worst thing is to overtrain as its just doing no good for you..
That's not an option. What did you find helps to relieve the pain? A hot bath should help I guess?

Benni.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM
bonus_boy
PassionFord Post Troll

ye, just some pain killers through out the day..

hot baths

and muscle rub (deep heat etc)
Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
R1.Andy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

to ease the pain iboprufin..but you need to rethink your training as you can overtrain and the body will gain wait .you need to find a balance that suits you ..not everybody is the same..
Old 06-02-2009, 12:07 PM
StuRST
Regular Contributor

the pain is just where your muscles are tearing and arnt used to it. when they heal, they will repair stronger to cope with the excercise so it will stop happening in the next 2 weeks.

the proper term for it is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness).

the best ways to combat this are, hot baths, with some radox muscle soak to help loosen things up, a sauna/steam room straight after training also helps alot. and make sure you are eating plenty of protein as this is what repairs and maintains your muscles. Finally make sure you get a minimum of 8 hours sleep per night as this wis when your body grows and repairs

Last edited by StuRST; 06-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your using muscles that you never use in day to day life so coarse there going to ache like fucK. I have just got back into the gym over the last couple of weeks and the 1st time i trained my legs i could barely walk the next day infact i could barely get down the stairs on the way out the gym. Today i was lifting more weight with me legs and so far i'm feeling alright aching a bit but no doubt i'll be goosed tomorrow but i wont be as bad as the first time.

What i'm getting at is stop being such a minge and within a couple of weeks you will be past the stage that you cant move the next day, you will still ah the next day but nowhere near what you did after your first time.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'm not being a minge, I was just making sure he's not killing me. I've been back today and my arms wouldn't bend and this clown pushed the machine back with his hands and I thought my shoulders were going to dislocate. He told me to stop being a fanny. I call him a clown but he's good really, lol.

Thanks for the tips, off to get some Radox now, and will spend the night relaxing.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 06-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need atleast a day of recovering, hence why people do legs one day arms the next etc leaving room for recovery. If you dont, your body will go into shutdown mode.

You could try some creatine after workout if you really dont have a choice and cant recover in time.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:02 AM
twoblacklines

So hows it going now Benni ?
Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
carlyrs

mate its pretty normal and wouldnt be worried, i couldn move when i first started training just stick wiith it! but like alot have said a good diet plenty of sleep, a days recovery between sessions and a decent protien supplement to give your body what it needs to reaire the torn tissue and things will get better! keep at it its easy to pussy out in the first few months because its hard and your not seein the istant results you expected! just keep pushing and good luck!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Childsyxxx

It useual for you muscles to hurt after a good gym session jus stick at it m8 youl be fine ina few weeks
Old 17-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
So hows it going now Benni ?
It's going fantastic thanks mate. Well it was. Last week I never ached at all. I felt great. This week, started again today and had the weekend off. I told him I never ached much last week and he said 'We'll soon sort that lad'. And he has. I'm sore today. To be fair, because of my bone conditions, and my false and bad hip, I am lifting a lot less than everyone else. But I don't care. It'll take time but I am getting there, and I've been everyday since I started this thread other than the weekends.

He says I should be able to stretch a lot more than I can. He had me on the mat doing stretches with another lad, but he was useless. I explained I have bad hips and cannot do a lot of things, and he never really listened.

What do you lads recommend for stretching? He said my arms will go a lot further back, down, and so on than I push them, but they don't.

P.S I've got muscles, lol. Small ones, but I have 'em.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 17-02-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 17-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

By the way, what is creatine?

Benni.
Old 18-02-2009, 10:55 AM
woodside
Regular Contributor

Hello mate

does this guy really know what is right/wrong.

anyone can train hard - but you have to give your muscles time to repair and recover - otherwise you just continue to breakdown damaged muscle and get no gains - possibly damage structures.

yes DOMS is normal for the first few times - hence you need longer recovery time.

and if you have a false hip - as you should know and have been told by your physio and doctor - it can only move limited amounts in certain positions - otherwise it will pop out and do big damage to surrounding tissues.

a personal trainer is good for encouragement and motivation - but dependant on their qualifications and/or experience they can be a nightmare too.
Old 18-02-2009, 11:27 AM
rstel1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

it will hurt to start with mate, some protein shakes will help you recover quicker. but just make sure you strech well, dont get forced into training to hard and make sure your not lifting more wieght than you should it will do you no favours.
Old 19-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by woodside

and if you have a false hip - as you should know and have been told by your physio and doctor - it can only move limited amounts in certain positions - otherwise it will pop out and do big damage to surrounding tissues.
I've spent endless nights researching my hip mate so I am well clued up on it which has come good, as I know what I can and can't do in the gym. He does know his stuff when it comes to weight lifting, but not so much health issues like my hip. However, I am clued up enough and he will ask me can I do something before I do it. I do worry a lot thought about dislocating the hip. This is something I've feared since I had it done. For example when I drive my car I have the seat as far back as it will go, as so when I put the clutch in my leg comes up as little as possible. I literally sit in the boot.

I have a question I would like answering. When I do my Cardio on the bikes, like I did today, I felt my arse hurting. Whenever I get this I stop in case I dislocate the hip? Is this possible, I hope not as physically I could go a little longer.

As for Tel, cheers as well mate.

Benni.
Old 19-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by rstel1
it will hurt to start with mate, some protein shakes will help you recover quicker. but just make sure you strech well, dont get forced into training to hard and make sure your not lifting more wieght than you should it will do you no favours.
Talking of stretches, can you reccomend me some please? At the moment I'm stretching my arms out on the table and forcing my neck down between them. More would be good.

Benn.

Last edited by Benni; 19-02-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 19-02-2009, 05:34 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally id say your doing too much, especially for someone whos not that fit, as said above you need rest days for the muscles to rest and re-build, your muscles DO NOT grow in the gym when your training, they grow when your resting, not moving an inch, i.e when your asleep for example, then if your trainging hard the next day your muscles will not be rebuilt in time, hence not making any gains.

Dont get me wrong im no expert, thats just my 2 pence worth
Old 25-02-2009, 10:37 PM
twoblacklines

I would suggest going once a week for now and really beasting it when you do go. This is what i currently do, i smoke and im unfit, so i go to the gym once a week and workout till i want to die, then i dont go, giving my body time to heal and stich new muscles. I then go swimming halfway round the week as i find the water resistance more gentle but still ache afterwards, so i know its doing good.

The other thing I do is play golf, at the driving range, with a proper golf driver (the big club they make 1st shot with). This gets parts of my arms i cant work out really aching for the next few days after, aswell as the backs of my legs. Not sure youll be able to do this or not however ?
Old 28-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I am still doing this. I go 4 days on, Tuesday - Friday and then I have a long weekend off. I am also riding my bike as much as possible, as I need to loose the weight too, more so than putting the muscle on. I am doing really well, and I've been at it a month, and I have shaped a little bit. Still have a long way to go though.

I suggested what you said, about going once a week, and he said he prefers the way I am doing it, of four days on and three off. I have also gone onto CNP Pro Mass protein, and I have one when I come home from the gym. It's nice, like a banana milk shake. I need to loose the weight, so I take one a day and no more.

Benni.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to em like youre not stretching properly mate, theres no excuse for not being able to move the next day other than not stretching properly. you MUST stretch before, during and after your workouts. im no pro trainer or bodybuilder or anything so im sure there are better ways, but the way i stretch is i find a doorframe or anything vertical at shoulder height, put my arm out as if i were being nailed to a cross, press my finger tips against the doorframe or whatever, and rotate my body away from it. this stretches your chest, bicep and forearm. for triceps i touch my shoulder, then with the oposite arm pull my elbow up as high as possible, and stretch my hand as far down my back as possible. join both hands at the back, try and bring them up over my head. theres dozen you can find on the net, just try a few and see which ones you prefer. just make sure you can feel the tension on the muscle you stretching and youre doing it right.

stretching is SOOO essential though mate especially when youve not trained before or in a while.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:03 AM
rstel1

Originally Posted by Benni
Talking of stretches, can you reccomend me some please? At the moment I'm stretching my arms out on the table and forcing my neck down between them. More would be good.

Benn.
I did write some out but couldnt word it correctly so i found some on the net for you:

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/info/f...-exercises.asp

http://www.stretching.name/index.php?filt=all

theese should see you throught mate
Old 03-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by rstel1
I did write some out but couldnt word it correctly so i found some on the net for you:

http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/info/f...-exercises.asp

http://www.stretching.name/index.php?filt=all

theese should see you throught mate
They are brilliant, thank you!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:58 AM
rstel1

no probs mate