Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Building and Diets

Old 13-09-2008, 10:23 AM
AdamB
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building and Diets

Right, started a mixed training routine last year

have dropped from 15 1/2 stone to just under 13. (in 2005 i was 18 1/2 stone)

I'm 6'1"

not massively built at the moment, in fact still quite chubby.

i did a mix of cardio, and weights to start weight loss and slowly build strength.

to shed a few extra pounds, i've done the ketosis diet, which worked, but i've been off for about 2 months now, and managed to keep at roughly the same weight. plan to keep up a high protein diet, lowish carb, and high fibre.

dont really drink much, not a massive fan of alcohol.

try to keep my water intake reasonably high (1-2 litres daily)

looking to build on chest, shoulders, back and arms. My legs are big, and dont really need any training, i can press approx 200kilos on my legs, with a bit of toning, will be fine. core muscles are quite strong, i do one day a week where i add a few core exercises into my routine, can feel the muscles beneath the flab, they obviously dont show because of the gut

found i cant go past approx 60kilos on my chest, been stuck here for months. although i dont really like the machine (smith type) at the limited gym i get to when training for my apprenticeship.

also i struggle to do push-ups, 3 sets of 8 and i'm screwed (although at christmas it was a struggle to do 3.

I cant afford a gym membership, and with my apprenticeship i'm away from home quite a bit so the membership would be wasted. however i do have some weights at home:

30kg on curl bar
20kg on tricep bar
30kg on barbell
7.5kg on dumbells

looking to try and find a cheap bench and some extra weights purely for bench-pressing

can anyone offer me any advice on improving? cardio doesn't bother me too much, i do occasional cycling, walking, dont enjoy running too much. might get back into rowing and kyaking if we get any decent weather next year.

i'm aiming to bulk up but keep the fat off, then next year i can look to do a bit of fat-loss/toning

the thing that keeps amazing me is that the scrawny people i see in the gym can still bench more than me.

exercises i do:

chest:
bench press - flat, incline, decline
dumbell press - flat
dumbell pull over
dumbell fly

arms:
tricep curls
bicep curls barbell and dumbell
hammer curls
overhand bicep curl

shoulders/back:
bent over raise
bent over row (barbell and bumbell)
upright row
front dumbell raise
lateral raise
shoulder press - barbell, infront and behind
shrugs
dumbell press (twist weights as pressing)

Last edited by AdamB; 13-09-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
AdamB
PassionFord Regular

any advice? still not really progressing
Old 16-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Ginger Will
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I have been following this:
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/rock...e/training/189

Obviously there is a link to month 1 training and month 2, I must admit that I haven't been following the exact diet, but the basic principles of increased protein in the form of whey shakes and chicken, tuna and cottage cheese instead of mayo etc.... No doubt people will say its shit, but it works for me as you can print it out and stick it on the wall and follow it. Also as you progress the training changes and therefore there is variation which I feel is important, a) so you don't get bored and b) so your body doesn't get used to a set routine and c) if you have large legs, utilise them, big muscles will burn big calories, get them working for you.

just my opinion, I do not take any responsibility for the accuracy of the bull given!