Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Body definition

Search this Thread

Old 28-05-2007, 02:44 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body definition

Hey all,

Been going gym for over a year and a half now and roughly on average say 3 times a week doing a total body work out main focus on upper body for aroudn 1hr 30 mins and a little cardio now and again.

What I want to ask is that I was not fat before I started going gym, at all really, fairly average build and I have been doing decent workouts and get advice from bodybuilders but even though I have quite an increase in body strength, my definition seems to remain the same. WhenI pump weights, I can see the muscle flex but when normal (relaxed) you can't see the muscle. For example biceps and triceps. When I do curls and extensions, they come out like hell but normally I look like your average person. I am doing something wrong here or is it just a case of more working out and more time needed at gym?

There's a number of things I have been told e.g. body genetics, diet, protein, workout strategy etc etc but I just want some general advice. I don't want a massively big body although I would like to grow a bit in size maybe about 3-4kg but I am looking for the defining bumps in chest, pecs, abs, bis and tris, traps and shoulders. any advice??

cheers
Old 30-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First im no expert, just know what works for me and am picking things up as i go along, from what you describe.

Personaly id split the training up, focus on a couple of areas per visit.

Spread your intake of food out more over the day, introduce good quality snacks in the morning between breakfast and lunch & in the afternoon between lunch & dinner. See how you go with that. hth
Old 30-05-2007, 05:41 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

thanks for you advice andy. I find that focusing on a few areas doesn't keep me at the gym for a long time though that's why I tend to do total body workout. Will have to look at more free exercises then
Old 30-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know where your coming from...I also used to train as you do.
On switching my routine i did initialy find that i was associating time spent in the gym with a quality workout.
Often leaving the gym thinking "that was just to short. "This just cant be right" lol
Like you say though becoming comfortable with additional & new excercises soon takes up more time.
I now find that I push that little bit harder than before. Knowing that it will be a week before the muscle group im training will be hit next, meaning this set has to count.

Still struggle with the time=quality mentality though
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 PM
chris^si
PassionFord Regular

i think your right Andy R, you really need to push yourself really hard to get the best gains, when i finish a tricep work out, 3 exercises and 4 sets per exercise, i cant raise my arms properly for a good 35 mins lol. and when i do my legs i struggle getting up and down the stairs from the changing room

but atleast i know i've worked them hard