Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

creatine and kidney's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 07:53 PM
johnathan
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default creatine and kidney's

hi guys

started my big campaign know to get fit. im using protein supplements obviously. know the trainer at beta bodies the gym i go to has put me on effectivly 2 scoops morning, 2 scoops before training, after and then at bed. all time is 2 scoops

my mum's nurse came round today, (dialysis, kidney faliure), she saw my protein and repeatedly went on about the creatine in it. she has had many a body builder come in on these products with acute kidney faliure. and i know from family experience that aint good.

does anybody know about this? is there enough in the protein suppliments or will it maybe be guys on creatine tablets, maybe not doing stacker courses but on it perminantly?

ideas? any people who know this?

(sorry for the spelling by the way )
Old 13-09-2006, 08:10 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

creatines not good for your liver and kidneys, but then so is paracetamol. the thing is most bodybuilders would have been taking it in large amounts for years so yes it will have quite an effect on the body.

if it was that toxic it wouldn't be sold over the counter but i would still recomend that if your taking large amounts of it then look into other ways of getting your protains etc through your food.

suppliments are just there to top up what your already taking in through your diet.
Old 13-09-2006, 12:06 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I wouldnt be too concerned about creatine, I have read journal articles which actuallly suggest that it does not cause kidney failure, and it has not been demonstrated in humans at all, apart from in animal models.

As for protein, high protein consumption has been suggested to cause kidney problems, however this has been due to media hype and not scientific fact. A recent journal article stated that there is no scientific data, or recorded incidencies of kidney failure due to protein consumption that is above the RDA. However, it has also been suggested that differing diets, such as those with low consumption of carbohydrates and high consumption of fats may cause diffferent results (e.g atkins diet = low carbs and high in high cholesterol fats), however, at worst, kidney risk is only thought to increase in those people who already have renal problems (i.e not normal renal function).

Therefore in general, you should have no concerns regarding a high protein diet and creatine consumption, but just remember that carbohydrates and fats are still essential, something often overlooked by the bodybuilding community.
Old 13-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Martinshuter
Regular Contributor

dont use creatine powders if you can help it, only about 40% of it is absorbed into the body. buy creatine etherlester maybe not spelt right. its a drip under the tongue thing.
Old 13-09-2006, 07:06 PM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

taken a lot of creatine in the past, more than the rec dose, in fact a lot more for a bulking up period. am concerned about damage to kidneys tho and i knew this when taking the stuff. how does acute kidney damage present itself? been having a lot of pains on my right hand side recently. thanks.
Old 13-09-2006, 10:21 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

TBH as with many signs and symptoms they could be a result of a number of things. Your best bet is to go to your doctors to be tested, acute kidney damage would present pains in the region, but then so would a pulled muscle. As ive said, from a scientific point of view, unless you already have some kidney dysfunction, creatine is unlikely to cause damage on its own. If you have been taking additional 'illegal' substances then damage is more likely, especially from anabolic steroids. This said, you state you have took considerable amounts, which are probably beyond what has been tested in studies, so you could not disregard the fact that your creatine supplementation may have lead to this.

Dont worry tho, like i said get it checked out and hopefully it'll clear your mind and your learn not to consume so much.
Old 14-09-2006, 08:17 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it probbally wasnt the craetine that mucked their liver up the roids!
Old 21-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Martinshuter
Regular Contributor

the only anabolic steroids that effect the liver are oral ones. so taking an intramuscular injection wont effect that at all. it is defo the creatine as it gives some strong kidney ache