Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Training certain muscle groups question

Old 17-05-2006, 05:38 PM
XR-RS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training certain muscle groups question

Sorry if this has been covered before, but its confused me for a long time. its abit of a question for the experts.

easiest way to explain is with an example......

say i have to do two muscle groups per day, should it be back and triceps one day and chest and biceps another. reason being chest and triceps are pushing muscles and back and biceps pulling muscles.

so if i do back and biceps one day then theyre both getting a double workout really.

best to stick with back and tri's one day and chest and bi's another and keep a couple of days between them for recovery ?

cheers
Old 17-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I am far from an expert but will give you my understanding...

All that will happen really, if you do them both same day, is you will not be able to work out the smaller muscle groups quite as well as if you had done them with an opposite group instead...

Example:
If you train chest and Triceps the same day, you may find that your triceps (Done after chest ideally, never before) wont be able to lift as muchlater when you train them individually than if you did them on a Back training day where they did less work.

However, some believe that this wont have a major impact on the development as long as you still do them to failure and get a good burn going as all you have actually done whilst chest training is pre-exhausted them.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Old 18-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Jordy05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bri, i do my chest and triceps on the same day and have found no real negatives in doing this as long as you think about the order of the excercises you do.
For instance, after a warm up i always do dumbel flys before any bench pressing because it allows you to fully isolate you chest without any using your triceps. When ive done a my sets i then move on to bench pressing. That way i know when i cant lift any more on my failure set, its not because of my triceps, its because my chest is fully worked. It gives the triceps a proper warm up too. After that i go on to dips and then my tricep excercises.