Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Healthy Eating for a Shift Worker!

Old 29-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Healthy Eating for a Shift Worker!

Firstly hello, 1st post in this section Hope your all well, hope you've never spied my fiqure otherwsie you'll be wondering why i've posted in here! Right..........Down to business.......

Thought i would post in here as there is plenty of people to give advice!

I am a shift worker! I work 12 hour night/day shifts 6 days a week. So when it comes down to eating i don't really get a very good selection of grub in my lunchbox...(Work only has early morning resturant, after 11am resturant is closed and nothing is available ) Also we are not allowed to leave site to obtain food (fish n chips/kebabs/pizza etc etc) So usually take a pack-up from home........They have the usual coffee/sweets/crisps machine but don't usually buy anything other than the odd pack of chewing gum.

My work is very very physical (I work in a paint factory) and i am always manually lifting 25kg bags of pigment (Maybe 9000kg in one shift ) as part of my job. Organomics are a major factor in my work. (Back/knee/leg movement etc etc) But i don't mind as my arms are an ok size for a skinny 10 stone twot

I know i shouldn't really worry as i've wieghed 65KG for the past 7 years with eating what i want, when i want!!

Just i would like to eat something more healthy and not boring The only cooking facilitys i have is a grill and a 1500watt Microwave. I usually bring in ham sarnies or maybe a microwave meal, but i'm looking for something maybe i could make/prepare nicely at home and then take to work in a tuppleware (sp?) box....

In my shift i get three 20min breaks and a 50min meal break. (Break every 2hrs ish) I would really like some advice to what to bring into work as to say. I have time to make meals before/after work then can heat up in the microwave. I'm just really bored with my food routine and would like some pointers

I go shopping everyweek, just would like something healthy/new to add to my basket this week

So any suggestions lads.

Cheers, Smit
Old 29-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Smit here is what I take in for lunch, although I'm only out of the house for 9-10 hours

Tuna + sweetcorn + mayonaise in a tupperware box - I then take a spud which I nuke in the microwave at work. If you do a large enough portion of tuna, you can then take a couple of spuds and have the same meal twice. Bit dull but its quick and easy.

Other things you make in bulk and store at home or work is pasta and rice. Again you can make up a couple of days worth. Peppers, onions and garlic can also be chopped en mass and added for some flavour.

Sometimes if I get up early enough I do a mini stir fry with either chicken or turkey, peppers, onions, veggies and maybe some straight to wok noodles. You could also do this the night before and save some for work the next day

Fruit is always good to have as it should stop you reaching for the sweets machine.

I'm sure other people do different things as they have different tastes.

Paul.
Old 29-03-2006, 07:23 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright Smit, nice honest post.

A break every 2 hours is just fine mate

As Paul says the best way is to prepare most of the food the night before, once you get into this routine it makes life easier.

You have a microwave at work, nice this is all you need really as this is all we have at work....next door to my office too

1. Wholemeal Pitta with grilled Chicken breast, toms, cucumber, lettuce, cottage cheese.

2. 2 Slices whole meal bread. 6 Eggs whites "1 Yoke" scramble in the microwave, chop toms, slice of cheese, add small ketchup and pepper.

3. Whole meal wrap filled with Tuna, lettuce, cucumber and a dollop of natural yoghurt.

4. Brown Pasta, 100g chicken or beef from the deli counter with chopped onion, peppers, courgette and mushrooms.

5. Brown Rice, Tin of tuna in brine "drain" and small mayo, sweetcorn, peppers and mushrooms.

Grilled Chicken Breast with Sweet Potatoe wedges with cajun spice and broccoli.

7. Home made protein bars...see sticky thread at the top.

8. Oats with half scoop protein powder with chopped banana or strawberries made with water or milk. You can have this at any meal not just breakfast!

9. Brown rice with 100g Prawns and mixed salad with 1 tablespoon oil blend.

10. Burgen Sandwich with grilled chicken breast with added spices and filled with salad and small mature grated cheese for taste.

Just a few ideas for you Smit. O' ,...and a load of tupperware
Old 29-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers both Pauls.

Like the look of a few of them things in the list, might do a few and stick some pasta/salad in the fridge for a light snack on one break

Just got to get out of my routine really, get some nice on my plate at breaktimes