Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Any one else get this...

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2006, 07:43 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one else get this...

midway through my routine my forearms feel like they have swollen, it gets very difficult to do curls with the usual under hand grip as it feels very restricted

before switching to a different style of bar it was near impossible to curl anything heavy. it only happens when i'm doing my routine i never get any pain or trouble from it day to day.

just wondering if anyone has anything simular

cheers
Old 21-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds like your forearms are getting a massive pump and cramping. Do you get any pain or is it just a numb feeling. You could try using lifting straps for curling along with some wrist strengthening exercises.

Does it happen on all curling exercises or is it different if you use an e-z bar or dumbbell?
Old 21-02-2006, 01:12 PM
FastFordChris

the forearms dont go numb they just cramp although the ends of my fingers can sometimes go numb or tingly.
i have started wraping my forearm in a support bandage which does help.

the restrictions only with curling but the cramping comes with any exercise i do whether it be with the over or under hand grip.

to do curls i'm currently using this bar

(not the e-z bar the other one) i know its for triceps but being able to grip like that allows me to curl without the restriction that kicks in after a while.
Old 21-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Kieron

I would say that the tricep bar you are using is putting undue stress on the wrist/forearm because of the unnatural way you have to hold it. If you hold your fists out in front of you like you are holding the bar then to keep them in that position with weight on the end is all on the top of the forearm. Move your wrist/fist from side to side without moving your arm and see what power is there. Now move your wrist up and down. There is a lot more movement and power this way as the forearm is set up to move this way.

If you use the EZ curl bar palms up, (20 past 8 on a steering wheel) then this is a more natural hold and will move the forearm involvement to something it can cope with more.

HTH's and makes sense!