Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

body mass index

Search this Thread

Old 13-01-2006, 06:13 PM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body mass index

just how representative is BMI of a person who is into lifting/gaining/bodybuilding? i am always being told to cutback but i think those people who tell me this need to understand a few things.

at 21stone and 5ft5 myself, and a bmi of 50+, i am told by my GP that i am super obese according to the charts!! (have to say i was very chuffed at being told this !!!!) also my family are unhappy about my weight, and are always saying I need to lose weight, cut down etc . i am bulky, and into lifting and bodybuilding and dont wanna reduce my size.

ok, could do with losing a stone or three, reducing my beer intake etc but i think that people do hold and present their weight in various different ways. for example, i am very muscular in my lower body, quite muscular in the upper body but admit to having a thickish layer of fat on my upper body.

however in terms of fitness, even at my weight, i feel i am just as healthy as i'd be if i was 14stone. i cycle 40-60 miles a week, walk up to 5 miles a week, get into the gym to lift when I can (OK, only small stuff at the mo) and my job means i dont even sit down for 40 hours per week.

I am trying to convince all the people who are having a go at me cause of my weight that all these scales, measurements, normals do not always apply, and surely only apply to mr average. Even tho i am am probably 10stone heavier some of my mates, i am just as fit as them.

How do I convince people that as I am bigger than mr average due to my interest in lifting/gaining/bodybuilding that the "rules/norms" should not apply ?!
Old 13-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think you are right to question the relevance of the BMI for any serious lifter or other athlete for that matter.

However, I personally get my cholestoral checked once a year and keep tabs on my resting heart rate and blood pressure just as precautions. THere are other means than the BMI to check where you should be so I would do as I do and get these done instead as these are a better measure of condition.

Paul.
Old 14-01-2006, 08:19 AM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

thanks paul much appreciated
Old 16-01-2006, 08:58 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

BMI "body mass index" is a bit old hat these days, If you are concerned and to put your mind at rest I would go and get youself a full bodystat test. This will show muscle mass, fluid levels and your bodyfat % along with a few other things, then you will have an idea of which route to take your training. This is not aimed at anyone but you can get v.thin and v.fat people who are fit......but very unhealthy!!