Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Bench press help

Old 01-11-2005, 05:18 PM
xpackcapri
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

can also try inclining or declining the bench to work upper and lower chest muscles

what weights are you starting with and ending on?
Old 01-11-2005, 09:11 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You are only as strong as your weakest link and in this case, and I am similar, it is your triceps.

What I would suggest is making sure you have a good tricep routine as well and do it on a different day to chest (do it after chest day to )

Two really good tricep exercises are

Close grip bench press - Hands 3-5 inches apart on the centre of the bar (watch your wrists)

and

Skull crushers - lying on a bench with an EZ bar, upper arms/elbows pointing to the ceiling and then lowering the bar to your forehead and press back up. Start light and work your way up. too heavy too quickly and you'll hurt your elbows.

These two can add real strength to your tri's and help with the all important lockout phase which is what it sounds like you are struggling with.

I personalluy have never got on with flat benching as my shoulders have always taken over too much. As was stated above, using dumbells really helps, along with doing dumbell flyes where you have your palms facing each other and lower the bells in an arch out to your sides.

Also to help your chest and your triceps, do wide grip dips and progress to hanging weight from your waist. The gym should have a belt with a chain on so you can hang weights. This helps the outside of your chest as well as strengthen your triceps.

Also - leave your ego at the door. If you can't lock out fully with a weight for at least 5 reps, then it is too heavy. Drop it back down and build up slowly so you can do it properly. You may find you only need to take of 5 kg.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh and avoid half movements, always train with a full range of movement. It only takes one day when you are not feeling upto scratch for you to go too low and hurt something. I know this doesn't necessarily apply to benching as the range is in the lower half, but proper develpment will happen only if you train in the full range.

Some people used to do short movements (I've seen people load a bar with 400lbs on squats and their arse barely lowers 2 inches) this has no merit whatso ever in my opinion.

If you asked them to go an inch lower, they'd hit the floor.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM
dexterc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

You could also try Tate press, as a supplemental lift. Its good tricep isolation, and it works all three heads of the tricep muscle, which not many lifts do.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by dexterc
You could also try Tate press, as a supplemental lift. Its good tricep isolation, and it works all three heads of the tricep muscle, which not many lifts do.
Could you explain that one please?