Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Weight training Vs Cardio

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Cossiep
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight training Vs Cardio

Guys,

Quite interested on your opinions as to the above. Looking on the net it seems that the 'bedroom experts' are in favour of a mixture of both, whereas the 'real' experts seem to be in favour of lifting until the weight comes off (I'm looking to lose weight by the way) then introduce some cardio.

What works for you guys ???

Cheers
Paul
Old 10-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Here is my simplified thoughts

For bodybuilding, packing on size: Do absolutely no cardio whatsoever. YOu should be training heavy, eating loads and doing no other form of activity. And I don't jest. When I was really hooked when I was at uni the most strenuous activity other than my weight training was getting out of bed in the morning

I am of the opinion that any form of cardio will eat into reserves that can be used to build muscle.

Weight training can be used to loose fat though, it really depends on your intensity. When training really heavy I used to rest nearly 5 mins between sets. This allows you to recover to enable a heavy lift, but it does not keep you heart rate up which is what is needed to burn calories.

So to burn fat you want to make sure you have the diet right so that you are eating sloightly less than is required to maintain your weight, and then complement it with sessions at the gym where you maintain a raised heart rate.

In doing both cardio and weights at the same time you will achieve the burning of calories but you will never be a huge bodybuilder or a svelt athlete, you will achieve that happy medium.

Now, for 99% of people that is their goal anyway.

In a nutshell, if your aim is to loose weight and tone up then a mixture will be fine. Cardio alone will burn calories, but the muscle can still be soft. The weights will help with tone as well as buring the calories and loosing weight.

If I do do any cardio, it will be for 15-20mins after a 45-60min weight session.

Hope that helps[/b]
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Paul, I don't really need to lose weight but want to just tone up and maybe build a little muscle, but also want to get fit as I can't even run 10mtrs without feeling fucked...

What should I be aiming for? (in respect of reps etc)

I've got access to a gym at work which has free weights, rowing machine and bikes...
Old 10-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd maybe do 15 mins cardio as a warmup, 30mins of weights followed by another 15 mins of cardio.

I'd split the weights into some key basic exercises(bench, squat, deadlift, press, curls, dips, chinups) and split this over two days.

Day 1 - Deadlift, Bench, curls, Chinups
Day 2 - Squat, Press, Dips, Abs

But traing three days a week, i.e

Monday - Day1
Wednesday - Day2
Friday - Day1

with the cardio either side. Keep at a high pace and 10+ rep range. THis should fuck you nicely
Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Cossiep
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Spot on Paul, just what I was looking for
Old 12-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Excellent, your a star