Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

So unfit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM
twoblacklines
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default So unfit

So I lost a load of weight recently and its still dropping, I do slimming world except I have cut dairy/cheese out of my life totally with the exception of soya milk and occasional low lactose milk (for coffee, that i have about twice a week). I also gave up smoking 3 months ago, I didnt bother with patches etc just went cold turkey which was hard for 4 days and easy ever since. Tried a cig recently and after 3 tokes felt sick and lobbed it and the pack away.

As a result of this i save £8 a day in smokes and I dont spend money on mcd's or anything like that anymore and i am TONNES richer in money from my lifestyle change.

Anyway I thought I would take up cycling as it would get me fit and get me outside but I cant do it. By this i mean, i can cycle along the flat slowly fine but as soon as i come up to a >5% hill my legs ache immediatly, i get lactic burn but more importantly i cant breathe. I get stabbing pains where my heart is, and think im going to die and if i push myself my vision goes blurry and i start seeing stars.

This is wierd because i have a concept2 rower and have been rowing for weeks, i do about 5 mins and then a set of tabata which is 20 seconds flat out - 10 seconds rest x8 and I do about 5 sets instead of 8. People who are properly fit struggle to do all 8. So if i cant bike then i shouldnt be able to do even 2 sets of tabata surely?

I am a bit stuck if I am honest and any advice would be great. I want to stay drug free btw.

Last edited by twoblacklines; 04-08-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need steroids mate, and lots of them... I can get you a load cheap from Botswana.

Go and see your doctor mate, I wouldn't get advice off here with such symptoms. Will all just people telling you what it could be, but until you get checked you never know.

Benni
Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed I'd go get checked out as you shouldn't be getting stabbing pains near your heart.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:13 AM
alexno1dj
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
So I lost a load of weight recently and its still dropping, I do slimming world except I have cut dairy/cheese out of my life totally with the exception of soya milk and occasional low lactose milk (for coffee, that i have about twice a week). I also gave up smoking 3 months ago, I didnt bother with patches etc just went cold turkey which was hard for 4 days and easy ever since. Tried a cig recently and after 3 tokes felt sick and lobbed it and the pack away.

As a result of this i save £8 a day in smokes and I dont spend money on mcd's or anything like that anymore and i am TONNES richer in money from my lifestyle change.

Anyway I thought I would take up cycling as it would get me fit and get me outside but I cant do it. By this i mean, i can cycle along the flat slowly fine but as soon as i come up to a >5% hill my legs ache immediatly, i get lactic burn but more importantly i cant breathe. I get stabbing pains where my heart is, and think im going to die and if i push myself my vision goes blurry and i start seeing stars.

This is wierd because i have a concept2 rower and have been rowing for weeks, i do about 5 mins and then a set of tabata which is 20 seconds flat out - 10 seconds rest x8 and I do about 5 sets instead of 8. People who are properly fit struggle to do all 8. So if i cant bike then i shouldnt be able to do even 2 sets of tabata surely?

I am a bit stuck if I am honest and any advice would be great. I want to stay drug free btw.
what bike are you riding? road or mtb?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM
twoblacklines

Hybrid: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec030144
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

I would try swimming mate to start and build up from there but also go and see your doctor
Old 05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
alexno1dj
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
ah ok, maybe best bet would be to get back into it, using low gears and just taking your time? Then after you have done a bit of leisurely riding pick it up abit?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i would say maybe its a case of the difference between using a machine in a controlled environment and the machine will take some of the work load from u,to cycling outside,where you have the wind/elements(and the mo-fo of a wind is always against u!!) to battle with as well as up hills etc but i could be wrong lol,i cycle every day build it up mate slowly you will get fitter on the bike one of the best exercises u can do
Old 27-08-2012, 05:44 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So, what happened then??
Old 02-01-2013, 01:45 PM
twoblacklines

I sold the bike and carried on with rowing and swimming.

Raw vegan is impossible to do where I live especially when you go out, all there is is Nando's and McDonalds so I ended up staying in alot and lost my local friends.

I am moving to Chester soon so I am not bothered about the latter too much and I am hoping the vegan lifestyle is easier up there as its more transient so shops and restaurants cater for it better!
Old 20-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Might see you around!