Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

how many calories

Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many calories

anyone tell me how many calories in the following foods

an average bowl of fruit and fibre with low fat milk

average bowl of soup

4 eggs used to make scrambled eggs using only low fat milk and eggs

your average stir fry which would have

2 carrots
6 mushrooms
1lb meat (beef or chicken)
one pepper
one onion
and asauce from a jar like korma or blackbean etc

i know it all depends on portion size etc but roughly speaking>????

ive been loosing a lb of weight a day on average, ive lost 14 lbs in 16 days

my training is

a 40kms cycle in the gym (100 mins) this is every day 7 days a week
10 mins of weights
20min swim
sauna

the bike says i use up 900 caloies but unsure how acurate the bike displays are

any advice on whether im eating too much or too little and training too much or too little or other ideas or advices, the food outlined above is my average intake, i drink nothing but water with no suggar added mi wadi to take the bland taste out
Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

if you have a smart phone download my fitness app and you can track your calorie intake it reads barcodes and downloads the info.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:51 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

just got myself an iphone 4, so u just scan the bar code??

for items like salads and scrambled egg id still need an approximate calorie count though
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

yeah you can just scan them or manually search for them and it will give you calories of such items scambled eggs / raw onion chopped etc.....
Old 07-03-2012, 02:49 PM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

you can also add cardio work and it will tell you approx how many calories you will have burnt.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

What was your starting weight? TBH a 14lb drop in 16 days is far too much. You will have trouble keeping that off imho unless you are very overweight to begin with.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

yea not the trimmest man in the world but had a weighin today and its deffo working, put on 7lbs of muscle and lost 18lbs over all so i guess thats the same as losing 25lb of fat in 3 weeks?

my viseral fats (i think thats what you call em) was down 4 points, the bmi was down 3 points

overall very happy

i know it will slow down but i have another 3 stone to lose to where i want to be, ill give it 3 months and then start weights more intensely
Old 09-03-2012, 06:32 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You will be lucky to be on 1500 cals at that.your burning 900 per day.do the maths.massive under eating.you will lose alot of weight quick but to keep that up I.m.o your body will stall.gaining muscle I wouldn't think possible as there is lucky to be 100grams of protein in there.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

so does a guy do a week on week off as in eat more one week and go back to this amount for the second week and keep doing it that way to shock or fool the body and prevent some or all of the stall??
Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
bookwyse
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

You need to be eating over 1200 calories a day in order to prevent your body thinking its not eating enough and sotring everything it can as fat.

Also the difficult thing to do is lose weight and build muscle at the same. Muscle not only weighs more than fat and needs more calories to maintain but also requires an excess of calories to build.

I am on a strick diet at the moment and have lost over 2 stone since the beginning of the year due to carefully monitoring what I eat and how I exercise. I have enlisted the help of the local gym and use the services of the dietician there so know that what I am doing is sustainable. I have now increased the calories intake in order to reduce the weight loss and increase muscle mass.

I would suggest seeking the advice of either your doctor, gym or dietician in irder to get the best advice.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

as the poster says above im prob on 1500 a day so 300 more than you reccomend and have also put 2 protein shakes a day on my eat list so im prob up to 1800 and burning 1000 in the gym and your allowed 2500 a day so im on about 800 so lossing net 1700 a day which i think is about a lb per 1500 im told?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you get this sort of information from ? I'm looking to start a diet to drop some weight and start back at the gym to get some shape back
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM
bubs_rsturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

10 mins of weights is completly pointless! weight help you loose weight cut the cycling down to 40 mins and get 40 mins weight training in 4 days a week and get some more protein in you diet.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by bubs_rsturbo
10 mins of weights is completly pointless! weight help you loose weight cut the cycling down to 40 mins and get 40 mins weight training in 4 days a week and get some more protein in you diet.
theres no way i could do 40 mins of weights, i do different muscle groups each day and lift as heavy as i can and do reps of 8, after 10 to 15 mins i cant lift anymore, also my main goal at the moment is rapid weight loss until ive another 2 stone off, then ill re-adjust my diet and training to suit bulking and toning
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by Mk1-stu
Where do you get this sort of information from ? I'm looking to start a diet to drop some weight and start back at the gym to get some shape back
the main thing for me was not eating after 6pm at all, i mean nothing, plenty of liquids and plenty of proteins during the day, chicken fish, salads, but start with cereal or porridge for breakfast and slowly cut out the carbs during the day, avoid bread, pastas, rice, potatoes and all shit food, eat 5 to 6 small meals rather than one two or three big meals, treat your metabolisim like a fire, keep a small amount on the burn during the day

get to the gym every day and make yourself sweat like a mother fucker, you need to crawl out the door, and then get plenty of sleep, sleep is really important

Last edited by D-Sport; 11-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:23 PM
bubs_rsturbo

Originally Posted by D-Sport
theres no way i could do 40 mins of weights, i do different muscle groups each day and lift as heavy as i can and do reps of 8, after 10 to 15 mins i cant lift anymore, also my main goal at the moment is rapid weight loss until ive another 2 stone off, then ill re-adjust my diet and training to suit bulking and toning

your doing it wrong!

you cant work any muscle group properly in 10-15 minutes! its just not possible!

you say you cant do 40 mins of weights yet you do 100 mins cycling??

a proper weights routine with the right amout of cardio will benefit you alot more that what your doing now!

i have 3 cardio sessions a week an 4 weights sessions of1hr 20 mins each its not a problem at all.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

your doing it wrong!

you cant work any muscle group properly in 10-15 minutes! its just not possible!

a proper weights routine with the right amout of cardio will benefit you alot more that what your doing now!

i have 3 cardio sessions a week an 4 weights sessions of1hr 20 mins each its not a problem at all.
unless your lifting bananas there is no way weights should last 80 mins.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

your doing it wrong!

unless your lifting bananas there is no way weights should last 80 mins. if you do say your upper body at 5 sets of 10 reps per area it should take you 5 mins maybe? that means your doing 16 different muscle groups?

unless your like the lads who work out in the gym where i go , they spend maximum 20 mins actually doing something and 50 mins looking in the mirror, talking to friends, sitting occupying machines while they look at jeremy kyle on the tv, i mean zero offence but this is exactly what they do, i get on by lifting heavy as i can and struggle at the 10th rep, by the 5th set im lucky to hit 8, if i halved the weight i could stay there all day but that will get me no where only delayed and late.
in 3 weeks workout at the gym ive lost 25lbs, put on 8lbs of muscle ( overall body loss 17lbs) so i guess of im doing it wrong i must have discovered a new way of doing it

Last edited by D-Sport; 12-03-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Kieron

unless your lifting bananas there is no way weights should last 80 mins. if you do say your upper body at 5 sets of 10 reps per area it should take you 5 mins maybe? that means your doing 16 different muscle groups?

unless your like the lads who work out in the gym where i go , they spend maximum 20 mins actually doing something and 50 mins looking in the mirror, talking to friends, sitting occupying machines while they look at jeremy kyle on the tv, i mean zero offence but this is exactly what they do, i get on by lifting heavy as i can and struggle at the 10th rep, by the 5th set im lucky to hit 8, if i halved the weight i could stay there all day but that will get me no where only delayed and late.
in 3 weeks workout at the gym ive lost 25lbs, put on 8lbs of muscle so i guess of im doing it wrong i must have discovered a new way of doing it
Not quite right mate. Bubs said 4 weights sessions per week. 1 session would be 2 bodyparts at a guess, 45 mins ea. If you are bodybuilding then 45 mins is about right for a bodypart.

There are lots of talkers in every gym but go do a decent set of squats or deads and then try to do another after 30 seconds rest. If you can you are either super fit or not putting the effort in thats required for breaking down muscles for BB. I expect the latter. not saying those goons you see are putting in the effort as most don't, but if you do you will know about it.

Fair play to you for what you have acheived but this path of big change is going to narrow very very quickly I'm afraid. Hats off to you though.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by Kieron
Not quite right mate. Bubs said 4 weights sessions per week. 1 session would be 2 bodyparts at a guess, 45 mins ea. If you are bodybuilding then 45 mins is about right for a bodypart.

There are lots of talkers in every gym but go do a decent set of squats or deads and then try to do another after 30 seconds rest. If you can you are either super fit or not putting the effort in thats required for breaking down muscles for BB. I expect the latter. not saying those goons you see are putting in the effort as most don't, but if you do you will know about it.

Fair play to you for what you have acheived but this path of big change is going to narrow very very quickly I'm afraid. Hats off to you though.

hey

im not into the body building and want to lose the excess weight i have always carried, being a dad of two young boys makes you change your outlook in life, id like to be there for them and be able to mentally and physically have fun with em, i have included the weights into the regime but my continued focus is cardio for the time being for at least another 2 months / 2 stone which ever comes first, at that point ill see what i want to do from there

when you say the path is going to narrow you mean?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Kieron

hey

im not into the body building and want to lose the excess weight i have always carried, being a dad of two young boys makes you change your outlook in life, id like to be there for them and be able to mentally and physically have fun with em, i have included the weights into the regime but my continued focus is cardio for the time being for at least another 2 months / 2 stone which ever comes first, at that point ill see what i want to do from there

when you say the path is going to narrow you mean?
Fair play to you mate. I wasn't knocking what you said, just trying to explain it a bit so you understood. Things tend to turn to shit in this section alot unfortunately so I was just explaining Bubs was about right for what he does. Not my personal way of doing things but I can see where he is coming from.

Your goals are different too and not everyone wants to lift weights, so you stick to whats working. However the path narrowing bit purely meant that your current huge changes will slow up somewhat. You may have to juggle things about when that happens but good luck to you. Whatever you are doing seems to be working and I hope you can keep the weight off once you have reached your target. This is a permanent change.

Last edited by Kieron; 12-03-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:28 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

Originally Posted by Kieron
Fair play to you mate. I wasn't knocking what you said, just trying to explain it a bit so you understood. Things tend to turn to shit in this section alot unfortunately so I was just explaining Bubs was about right for what he does. Not my personal way of doing things but I can see where he is coming from.

Your goals are different too and not everyone wants to lift weights, so you stick to whats working. However the path narrowing bit purely meant that your current huge changes will slow up somewhat. You may have to juggle things about when that happens but good luck to you. Whatever you are doing seems to be working and I hope you can keep the weight off once you have reached your target. This is a permanent change.
hey

gosh no offence taken at all to any of the posts on here and fully appreciate all the advice given, some of it will help and some of it wont matter to me because of the direction im going at the moment, its mainly mental from the point of view of eating habits and eating late and a lot of it is because of stress of being on the road managing teams and selling, just a very unhealthy lifestyle, its made me re-evaluate everything, being 40 now im halfway thru life and i guess want to make every day count, the gym is good for me mentally as well as i feel much calmer overall and able to handle stressful situations much better, so if i lose the excess weight, feel better, live better and longer then its a winner for me.

ill keep tabs on the path narrowing and so on, any tips for shaking it up if and ultimately when that happens?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Kieron

No tips from me mate. Not that clued up on the diet side of things.

I personally think your intake is too low to sustain long term. It may be that you get to where you want to be size wise and then work out your maintenance calories from there so you hold that weight without putting it all back on. Your body is going to immediately want to store fat one your intake rises and the cardio drops.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
bubs_rsturbo

in 3 weeks workout at the gym ive lost 25lbs, put on 8lbs of muscle ( overall body loss 17lbs) so i guess of im doing it wrong i must have discovered a new way of doing it

it took me 80 minutes for my back and traps workout tonight and trust me i wasnt lifting any bananas weights arent for everyone so im not gonna ram it down your throat. if your seeing results then great! i was only trying to help. keep up the good work sir
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
D-Sport
BANNED

BANNED

update

total loss now standing at 32lbs (total time approx 6 weeks), had a few plateaus (spelling) but have pushed thru em and also had a few days off training and diet for paddys weekend and my birthday between the 15th and 18th march but gotta look at nec=xt stone off and then ill be reasonably happy