Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Finally joined the gym

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally joined the gym

Decided enough was enough and it was time to join the gym. Putting on too much fat (belly & moobs ) and overall condition was really poor.

Height = 5ft9"
Weight = 12st11, 81kg
BMI = 26.8

Main aim atm is to get rid of my fat before i start on the weights. I'm just doing cardio work each day, treadmill/rower/swimming. Not doing any weights, should i be?

Working on my diet as well. No takeways, plenty of water etc. Should i be taking a protein shake?

Sorry if the questions are daft, new to this and i know theres a good few on here with plenty of knowledge

Any other help is much appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MP3_Kenzie
Decided enough was enough and it was time to join the gym. Putting on too much fat (belly & moobs ) and overall condition was really poor.

Height = 5ft9"
Weight = 12st11, 81kg
BMI = 26.8

Main aim atm is to get rid of my fat before i start on the weights. I'm just doing cardio work each day, treadmill/rower/swimming. Not doing any weights, should i be?

Working on my diet as well. No takeways, plenty of water etc. Should i be taking a protein shake?

Sorry if the questions are daft, new to this and i know theres a good few on here with plenty of knowledge

Any other help is much appreciated.
always incorperate weights into your routine,the things with weighs is your muscles are still working hours after you have finished,also if you just do cardion your muscles will waste away.
take a protien shake morning noon and night,also your diet will have to have masses of protein good fats and minimal carbs
there are plenty of website to read throigh which will give you some idea of a routine,try this http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/triceps.html I use it a lot for variations on exercises,
good luck you have done the hardest thing "walking into the gym" once you are in a routine and you see things working it becomes an obsession.
take photos now and them you can look back at your progress forget the scales its all about what you look like
I started training 7 years ago at 110K I got serious the past 3 years Iam still 107K but a 34 waist from a 40
I had to join a new gym as I ran out of weight to push Iam 44 and run rings around guys half my age.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:51 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Thanks for the reply mate. Will defo start weights into my routine then.

As for protein shakes, any particular ones? Had a search on the net but it returns thousands lol.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply mate. Will defo start weights into my routine then.

As for protein shakes, any particular ones? Had a search on the net but it returns thousands lol.
my protein,cheap and very tasty go for the true whey 5k tub
Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 PM
nellyscossy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

best of luck mate
i have just started, been at it 3 months, changed my diet, taking protein shakes and a creatine suppliment, train at least 3 times sometimes 4 times a week, already noticed a difference i certainly sleep a lot better!!
Old 31-12-2011, 01:50 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Cheers nellyscossy, same to you mate.

Not gave up on the gym yet so im happy with that, lol.

This is my routine:

Monday:
Chest & Back
Tuesday:
Cardio
Wednesday:
Shoulders & Legs
Thursday:
Cardio
Friday:
Arms
Saturday & Sunday
Relax

Been having a protein shake in the morning and one after each workout. Also watching what i eat, cut out carbs (pasta/bread/potatos) and eating mainly chicken,veg and salad.

Is there anything youd change to my routine or diet?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

This is my routine:

Monday:
Chest & Back
Tuesday:
Cardio
Wednesday:
Shoulders & Legs
Thursday:
Cardio
Friday:
Arms
Saturday & Sunday
Relax

Been having a protein shake in the morning and one after each workout. Also watching what i eat, cut out carbs (pasta/bread/potatos) and eating mainly chicken,veg and salad.

you want some carbs aswell mate
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 PM
bubs_rsturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

This is my routine:

Monday:
Chest & Back
Tuesday:
Cardio
Wednesday:
Shoulders & Legs
Thursday:
Cardio
Friday:
Arms
Saturday & Sunday
Relax

shoulders and legs together and chest and back together not good as they both take alot of work to hit properly my split

mon. shoulders and triceps
tues. back and traps
wed. cardio and abs
thurs chest and biceps
friday legs
saturday cardio and abs

cut out carbs? definitly not! you need 3-4 good carb and protein meals before you train and forget the salad imo.

also have a protein drink before u train to preload protein

hope this helps
Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Originally Posted by boothy
you want some carbs aswell mate
I've not totally cut out the carbs, just reduced the amount as i used to eat shitloads. Maybe i could do with some more though. Although i thought it was better to "cut" them if your main aim is to reduce fat?

Originally Posted by bubs_rsturbo
shoulders and legs together and chest and back together not good as they both take alot of work to hit properly my split

mon. shoulders and triceps
tues. back and traps
wed. cardio and abs
thurs chest and biceps
friday legs
saturday cardio and abs

cut out carbs? definitly not! you need 3-4 good carb and protein meals before you train and forget the salad imo.

also have a protein drink before u train to preload protein

hope this helps

Cheers. Will defo look into my routine again, unless someone on here could make a simple one up for me Main aim atm is to lose the fat (mostly around my waist & chest) but i'd also like to bulk up so to speak.
Old 13-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Hobomassiv
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've not totally cut out the carbs, just reduced the amount as i used to eat shitloads.

Main aim atm is to lose the fat (mostly around my waist & chest) but i'd also like to bulk up so to speak.

There is no need to completely cut out carbs, reduction is the first step for most people (bread pasta crisps etc errday) Also then eating the right types; low GI

You CANNOT spot reduce fat. So dont bother doing two specific abs work outs like the above guy, its a waste of time. Get your diet in check and start a routine with lots of compound movements, like squats,deadlifts. Once you are starting to see results you can start tailoring your diet to reduce bodyfat percentage and change lifts to start increasing size in specific places.

Visible abs do not come from doing a million crunches, they come from having a low BF%.
Old 24-05-2012, 09:51 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Well few months on & im still at it. Currently only going to the gym 3 times a week now due to work commitments.

Off on holiday in 7 weeks and would defo like to lose some more fat. Still got a beer belly on show

Anyone able to give me a good diet to go on or give me some ideas on what i should be eating daily please. This is the one area i really struggle in lol.
Old 31-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

What are you eating now?? List up EVERYTHING you eat in a day and when.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:39 PM
MP3_Kenzie
Virgin

Struggle to eat at regular intervals due to my job and on most days breakfast gets ditched.

If i have breakfast it's usually shredded wheat or porridge. Snacks are normally nuts/cereal bars and on the occasion a bit of fruit. Lunch usually consists of a sandwich (ham,turkey or chicken with some salad) or a toastie. Steak,chicken,beef,rice,salad,pasta would be my usual dinners. Only drink water or water with some no sugar diluting juice in it.

Any help much appreciated mate
Old 01-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Struggle to eat at regular intervals due to my job and on most days breakfast gets ditched.

If i have breakfast it's usually shredded wheat or porridge. Snacks are normally nuts/cereal bars and on the occasion a bit of fruit. Lunch usually consists of a sandwich (ham,turkey or chicken with some salad) or a toastie. Steak,chicken,beef,rice,salad,pasta would be my usual dinners. Only drink water or water with some no sugar diluting juice in it.

Any help much appreciated mate
You forgot to mention the protein shakes that you have said before in the thread? Did you forget the mars bars too?

IMHO still too many of the wrong carbs. Bread and pasta..

Its a nut ache at first but work out the macros of the carbs. How much past do you have at night? Weigh it out raw and see what it weighs. Report back.

Make sure you have breakfast. 70g of oats would be good with some protein shake. Slow releasing good carbs that are essential for keeping your metabolism firing.

Lunch rice/noodles and chicken/beef/turkey etc. Add in some greens too. I am trying something new (despite not advocating it in the past) in eating little and often. 5 meals (plus breakfast) of 50g carbs source & 200g of protein source and 3 shakes. You could use those macros and double up for two big meals a day. You shouldnt need as much as me as I am 17+ stone and trying to grow whilst dropping fat.

Tea the same. What time do you eat it??

Nuts are good but not too many. Handful a time, not a 100g bag. Try not to have salted/coated etc etc.

3 protein shakes throughout the day. Cardio first thing before breakfast if possible.