Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

This thread contains several question

Old 12-10-2011, 02:41 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default This thread contains several question

So please feel free to answer as many or as few as you can

The basics are that, after decades of hit and miss attempts to regain the fitness of my youth, I was a good runner, did full contact kick boxing, etc, I've now, more than 20 years after my accident, actually got myself to th stage where I can have a "routine" because my sin has joined the local karate class and needs to fix up himself as to being able to do press ups and kicks and stances and all that stuff.

So now the questions,

I've only been doing press ups and (with my newly purchased 5kg dumbbells) shoulder presses, mainly because my shoulder joints are fucked and I want to at least make them stronger. But after only a week of 30 minutes an evening, 5 sets of 10 press ups and the same for the shoulder press, my shirts now feel really tight around the shoulder area.

They are my work shirts and at first I thought it was because I was wearing a tanker underneath, but even without one they are notice my tighter.

Should it have made such a notice or difference after only 8 days of light excercise? It's deffo easier to do the movements now but I wasn't expecting such quick resluts, so is this normal?

Secondly, I'm eating more, not more as in eating bigger portions, I'm feeling hungrier more often than before, is this simply due to the exercise?

And if so, what should I be eating more of to keep the hunger at bay?

I'm nit into all this protien shakes and stuff if I cam help it, can't I just ear an extra banana or potato or something? Don't want to go all health freak and have a heart attack or the like

And lastly, junior is 5 so I'm thinking it's a little bit young for him to be hitting the weights and have had him just doing press ups and square and sit ups and stuff ratherthan curling and squaring with big lumps of metal, yes or no to this approach?

Cheers for any helpful hints, I can't help wondering why I didn't do this before
Old 13-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your body will change and adapt very quickly to new exercise. Whether it is going to make you start ripping shirts in an incredible hulk style or not is questionable. Your shirts must have been close to tight before as you wouldn't change that much. Slightly noticeable yes but not drastic.

You are hungry as you are burning more calories. If you want to lose some podge then don't adjust your diet too much but if not then just eat some more carbs. the banana or potato are perfect.

I personally wouldn't have my 5 year old anywhere near weights so your right on that count.
Old 13-10-2011, 04:25 PM
dojj

After 2 days now I've got used to the shirts, they were "tight" tight, but it was that bit that goes under your arms that was the only place where I was feeling it

Also, my weight fluctuates between 72 and 76 kgs (digital machine at work so shoes off and the same uniform on when I weigh myself once a month) so I'll see if I've put on any weight at the start of November

Deffo feeling hungry in the mornings now whereas before I would has a bite to eat maybe at 10 as breakfast, now it's a noticeable rumble between about 7 and 8 so I shall stock up on the bananas in the van and add an extra half a potato to my food of an evening and hope that sorts things out

I've also found that I'm sleeping better too, so this excersie lark seems to be great, I'm converted
Old 18-10-2011, 09:59 AM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice one dojj but u really wanna eat something better for breakfast as thats when your body is desperate for protein vitamins etc. Try porridge mate, only take 5mins to cook, but not the microwave stuff as it has no protein in. Best one out there is scotts porridge oats original, per 45g serving wth semi skimmed milk it has 15g of protein and slow releasing energy then have your banana about 9ish or whenever your tea break is. Try and eat every 2.5 to 3hours matey
Old 18-10-2011, 01:27 PM
dojj

Thanks for the advice

And he tight feeling I've got used to now, but if I'm jogging, I can definitely "feel" the muscles in my chest wobbling whereas before they wer'nt.

My mrs has also noticed so it's all good

Only 2 weeks in and I'm feeling much better with the added bonus that the kids are also doing more excersing along side me which gets them extra knackered for he evening
Old 18-10-2011, 01:38 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

honestly mate eat porridge for breakfast. It wil make a big difference.
Post up some picks!
Old 18-10-2011, 07:53 PM
dojj

no pics mate, i'm scrawny

might get a few before and afters for next year perhaps
Old 26-11-2011, 01:32 PM
dojj

after 6 or so weeks of doing the same thing, i can publish some resluts

i've put on an inch on my chest (i now have cleavage )
i've put on about half an inch on my arms
i've lost a bit of my tum
everything else is sort of the same
so it's all good so far

but now for the other questions

the tightness is due to the outside of my chest growing, where it meets my shoulders, and the hair on my arm pits becoming itchy

my chest is also growing in odd places, ie, it's got bigger proportionally on the upper outside and lower middle with the lower outsides and upper insides now looking a bit out of proportion

how do i get this bit of the muscle to grow? remembering i've only got one set of dumbells and possibly 30 minutes or so free time on any given evening to do this?

should i shave my arm pits?

overall i honestly do feel better about myself
Old 26-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Check yu out, put on a couple of mm and your talking about stretching and shaving. We'll have you on stage in your doris's shit nicks oiled up with marmite yet!

Get some bio oil or similar on the chest/shoulder area. Very prone to stretchmarks there.

As for the growth, maybe try some flies to help the inner chest. TBH its probably down to genetics as the bulk of anyones chest is on the outside. Just look at someone of size doing a bicep pose and you will see most of their chest up by their armpit.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:55 PM
dojj

it's fine doing it by pointing it out to other folk, but when it's your own body, i feel sort of smug

but i don't want to be making school boy errors and simply working on one bit of my anatomy and then scratching my head trying to work out why somethings not right
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
dojj

a small update

i measured all my vital statistics before i started, not really expecting anything major to have happened

so i'm pleased to announce that i have added 1.25 inches to my upper arms, a full 2 inches to my chest, and not gained or lost anything anywhere else on my body

not bad for a few sets an evening of very light keep fit stuff i think

i might start doing some squats and see what happens in the next 3 months
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you doing press ups & sits ups too, or is that just your lad ? they'll help turn you into a monster too !!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
dojj

no sit ups, back is fucked so i can't really do any movements like that any more
Old 08-01-2012, 01:10 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
no sit ups, back is fucked so i can't really do any movements like that any more
When doing them try sticking your head forward so your chin touches your chest as that puts far less strain on your back then if your head is angled back
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 PM
dojj

it's my lower back though mate, 2 fused vertebra means i struggle to bend far enough to put my socks on some mornings which means laying down is a problem