Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

1.5 Miles run in 12 Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2011, 08:42 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 1.5 Miles run in 12 Minutes

Hi, I've got a 'test' coming up whereby I need to run 1.5 Miles in 12 minutes or less (I can currently do it on flat ground 11 min 30 or with a couple of hills thrown in 11 min 50) I've got just over a week to get better, anyone got any tips? other than just keep running!

Also, what kinds of things can I eat, chicken, rice, fish? Anything that's high protein, Banana's for slow release energy?

Losing weight as the day's go on which will obviously help..

Haven't been running on a treadmill all done outdoor, as I hear treadmills are slightly easier...

Any hints or tips welcomed

Last edited by vroooom ptssssh; 26-09-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 26-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Madgit
Works and plays on track

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think you need carbs not protein for distance - pasta/rice etc. Protein's for muscle, carbs are for energy. And you're not going to see any changes in just a week.
Old 26-09-2011, 09:47 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Ah I see, ok carbs it is...

well I've noticed a fairly big difference in the first and 2nd weeks of running so hopefully if I can even improve by 30 seconds to secure a 'pass' I'll be delighted.
Old 27-09-2011, 02:16 AM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Im assuming this is for some type of army run?. Decent footwear, good hyrdration, proper warmup ect, trouble is they make you do a decent warm up before that gets you panting before your actull run but 30 seconds with a few hills is a decent safty margin i would have thought, just push yourself to the limit. I would have thought that quick relise energy would have been better as its 12 mins or under, maybe tan a few of those energy gells before hand to give you a boost.

What about taking those caffeine supliments just to give you that something extra, I do aload of cycling and notice a massive difference when i take that hemo rage shit. However energy might not be the factor but lung capacity, If your lungs are bursting to the limit all you can do is slow down but im no running expert.
Old 27-09-2011, 07:20 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah i wouldn't be overly concerned with protein at this stage, although taking enough on is important as it will help recovery between sessions (sore legs will be less sore, quicker).
Old 27-09-2011, 08:48 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by KnoxyGtt
Im assuming this is for some type of army run?. trouble is they make you do a decent warm up before that gets you panting before your actull run
Is this an army run? I thought Infantry was 12:45 and thats the quickest time your expected bar the Parachute Regiment? The warm up will be around 800 metres and not enough to even get your heart to speed up, which IMO is bad. The only regiment which do a proper warm up prior to your 1.5 mile timed run is the Paras (which used to be 3.5 miles in around 25 minutes then your 1.5 mile run after 30 seconds of rest in under 9:30, it's now a 1.5 mile warm up in around 9:30-10 minutes then your 1.5 mile in 9:18 on hilly terrain on horrible gravel tracks) but you won't be going for that with a 12mile target time, no offence.
The 1.5mile run is a cheaky little run IMO, I hate it and I can run it quick.

Firstly, never just practice doing 1.5 mile runs. 3 miles in under 30 minutes is a good target to start you off. Running all about putting mileage on your legs.

To get your time down go to your local athletics track and do sprints. Run a 400 metre track nice and slow then run a full lap as fast as you can and repeat for 10 laps without stopping inbetween, your slow plod is your recovery time. 5 slow 5 sprints.

Another one is to find a nice, steep hill and run up it and walk down. By me there is a field which is about 600 metres long and bastard steep. I'd sprint up it and walk back down and repeat until I was litrally sick. The last 1-2 reps I'd be hardly moving forward at all, just moving my legs up and down lol.

And again another one if your on a treadmill is to start at a nice slow speed at 2% incline and plot away for 5 minutes to warm you up, then every minute, put the treadmill up one full speed and run it for a minute, then turn it up one, and repeat until your basically into an uncomfortable sprint pace where you feel like you cant possibly go any quicker. I like doing this one with my cousin becuase by the end we have both maxed out the treadmill speed then try to beat each other by staying on the longest at full speed before soemone shits out.

I knocked loads of time off my mile and a half run when I was joining up doing these.
Old 27-09-2011, 05:07 PM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

When I was in the army it was a half mile warm up and then you had to do the mile and half in 10:30...

Interval training gets your time down for short runs like this. Sprint for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds. Do it so you end up running around 3 mile half sprinting half running. Then increase the time you sprint.

I did this and got my tine down from 11:50 to 9:20 before I joined up and passed it easily (think I only needed 11:30 to pass anyway... The 10:30 time only applies when you're a fully trained soldier)
Old 27-09-2011, 07:50 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

It's not for the Army no I don't think there is any form of warm-up before hand on this test.

Will look into the energy booster things, once passed the initial "i'm dying" feeling shortly after I start running i'm fine for the next while until nearing the end I get tired legs and struggle to push harder towards the end.

Any Gel's you reccomend? what about: http://www.lucozadeshop.com/body-fuel-gel/03617.html

Muz - good advice, but note I've not run like this since I was like 19, i'm now 28 so probably well out of shape fitness wise, other than the odd downhill mtb day out! although not over - weight or anything.

cheers

Last edited by vroooom ptssssh; 27-09-2011 at 09:37 PM.