Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

FAO any serious runners. SKINS experiment

Old 15-09-2011, 03:34 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default FAO any serious runners. SKINS experiment

Thought there would be a few people interested in a little experiment I am conducting with SKINS compression layers.
Being what I would call a 'serious' runner, now running about 40-50 miles per week depending on what training I have rotored in for that week, covering a mixture of various distances from short, quick runs, interval sprints, hill reps and long distance runs.
It's not all good, though, as I have always suffered from shin pain and more recently, occasional ITB knee problems even though I have good equipment, am a forefoot runner and always warm up and cool down correctly including ice baths after every run. I have had my runnign style assessed and apparently have good candence, posture, stride and a very natural running style which means I'm just unlucky with injury and may be related to the fact I have strong/big thighs in relation to my lower leg. Waist/Thigh/Calf - 29/23/15.5inch

Anyway, I have invested in the Skins A400 full tight for running in;

http://store.skins.net/uk/men/active...ng-tights.html

and also the RY400 recovery tight, with the intention to put them on straight after a run and sleep in them every night.

http://store.skins.net/uk/men/recove...-recovery.html

Some people might think that £150 for two pairs of running trousers is excessive, however, if the reviews are to believed they really do work and it's a small price to pay to be injury free, you'd pay it for jeans, so why not something I'll wear practically every day.

I'll keep you updated with an unbiased review of them.

Old 20-09-2011, 12:41 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

So, they have arrived.

They appear to be very, very small, but fit perfectly. I had quite tired legs today after doing a sub 1 hour 8 miler yesterday through the hills, but I put the recovery tights on at 9:45 this morning when they arrived in the post and the tenderness in my Hamstrings has definatley eased which I can tell when I just stretched off now at lunch. Whether that's a placebo, I'm unsure, but so far I'm quite impressed as the definately seem to be easing musclular tension.

I'm boxing tonight which usually give me quite tight calves from being on my tip toes and tender thighs from the curcuit squats so we'll see how they perform.
Old 26-09-2011, 10:35 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Well, I have been using both sets of Skins for a full week now. The A400's for running and cycling in (but not boxing or curcuits) and the RY400 I have been wearing everynight straight after I've showerd then all night inc. sleeping in.
As far as training goes it has been a pretty heavy one and I can conclusively say they work. I'm surprised myself as was dubious at first.
As I've mentioned before I suffer from shin splints which usually hurt for the first 1-2 miles of a run until my muscles have warmed up then play havok with my legs the next morning, usually resulting on me walking down the stairs sideways one step at a time
However, since using the Skins my legs seem to warm up very quickly and I seem to feel no pain after only 600-800 metres.
Also, I started to get a bit of runners knee which has completely disappeared and cause me no problems all week!? I was able to run a 43 minute 6 miler on Saturday night 3 miles of which were on off road tracks inc. up and down hills which usually cause the knee pain, but nothing.

So there it is, a very unbiased review which someone might actaully be able to use and trust.

The A400 Training Skin - I would consider it for anyone doing any Marathon/Half marathon or training for one, runs over 6 miles and lengthy bike rides. If your only plodding 3-4 miles twice a week probably a bit overkill, but prevention is better than cure.

The RY400 Recovery Skin - I would reccomend this to ANYONE, even if you don't do huge ammounts of training, they will help.

I give them 100%
Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM
creator
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These still working well muz?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:14 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Originally Posted by creator
These still working well muz?
Yes, Danny. By far the best piece(s) of sport equipment I've ever bought.
Old 15-11-2011, 01:00 PM
creator

Good stuff muz,just out of intrest what running shoes do you use?
Old 15-11-2011, 01:27 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

At the moment I use an Adidas Adizero Pro 4 in kermit green lol with a Sorbothane Pro insole. I get on really well with this combo. Did about 60 miles last week.
Old 15-11-2011, 02:06 PM
creator

Kool,should different types of running shoes be worn depending where you run i.e treadmill or road ect?
Old 15-11-2011, 02:13 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Yes, for sure. You need to go to soemone who knows what they are doing who can assess how you run and your natural footstrike etc and put you in the right pair of shoes. I had problems as a so called "expert" sized me up for some Asics shoes which were for people with flat feet and generally totally worng for me. Gave me really bad shin pain.

Mine are called 'Racing Flats' and are a competition level shoe with a very shallow sole with not much shock absorbsion. If a new runner who was carring a few pounds bought a pair and started to run in them they would probably get very injured very quickly, lol.
Old 15-11-2011, 02:27 PM
creator

Thats exactly the reason i aske mate il look on google see if there are any pros nearby me for advice ect