Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Joggers & Jogging

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Joggers & Jogging

Evenin' all

Right 2011 and its about time i did something energetic! So the plan is to start swimming, jogging and cycling.

What i need advice on is the whole footware thing, as Footlocker sells a good range of Air Max but their prob not the best for running in!

I don't have an open ended budget so keep recommendations realistic if you can please

Thanking you.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

dont go for names like nike air max there shit running trainers lol with little support in them new balance are good running trainers! they dont cost too much iver
Old 06-01-2011, 08:32 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

My point exactly!

Ahhhh New Balance, they might be what i was thinking of
Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i got some nikes, Ł40 and are good enough for me
Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Danster76
Advanced PassionFord User

Asics Gel for me. I run everyday.

IMO 'Sweatshop' is the best place for running footwear. http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/Results.cfm?category=7
If you can get into a store they will help you get the best shoes for your feet.

Last edited by Danster76; 06-01-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
tigra turbo
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Asics all the way
Old 06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can't underestimate the importance of buying decent running trainers if you're going to be running often!!

I started 'running' a couple of months ago, shooting for 3-4 times a week, i was using a pair of evisu trainers i wear to the gym and stuff, more stylish trainers than sports... ideal for going and lifting weights for an hour but after 10mins running my heels and shins were in bits!!!

Bought a pair of asics things in that sports soccer place and what a difference! I'm not a good runner by any stretch but these things make it sooooo much more bearable. They weren't even too expensive either, Ł30-Ł40 tops.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

It is so important to get the right trainers if you are running or are going to properly.

I have Asics, and change them every year. Just about to buy my new pair today.

If you go to a Runner's Need or somewhere similar, you will get a gait analysis and they will point you in the right direction.

Personally, I would only ever run in Asics or New Balance - fashion trainers are not ones to run in.

I would also recommend double skinned socks as they will help you avoid blisters.

If you've not done any running before, then a good couch to 5k guide is a good start.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:16 PM
nthorpey
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

as RichardPON says 100% , no other way unless you fancy getting shin splints and blisters!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Just go for a pair of trainers that are light. I bought a pair of pumas that cost me about 35 quid. These ideal for running.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:52 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As others have said go to a proper running shop where they will analyise your gait and get you the right shoe for support/cushioning and take into account over/under pronating. Forget what they look like, they are there to do a job. Most likely you will end up with Asics, Brooks, Sauconay, Mizuno or New Balance, that said the main"fashion" brands do of course do more serious running shoes.

For me personally I won't wear anything except Asics Gel Nimbus, and am on my 5th pair. They aren't cheap around Ł100 but are well worth the investment.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

A good running shop will supply you a trainer thats good for you and your health.
I went to a local running shop, 2 hours to buy a pair of trainers
I was video'd walking then running around the car park, then had to wear an insole that measured the impact of my feet in the shoe, dunno if its all bullshit but I ended up with a Ł50 pair of Asics and not had a single foot problem yet near 12 months on.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:56 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't just buy a brand name or whatever's cheap in the sale. Running shoes are the most important item of clothing you will EVER buy. Go to a proper running shop that will evaluate your running style, impact, strike rate etc.
Start with very short runs, less than 1.5miles every other day and increase your distance gradually, no more than 20% every other week. If your calves are tight the next few days after a run, don't run, you WILL hurt yourself.
Also get some proper running socks, and never use cotton 'sports' socks. I use Ron Hill 'Hilly's' which are Ł19 a pair, but I never get blisters when I run.

I would also look at videos of how to run properly on youtube. The amount of people out and about when I'm running I see over striding and heal braking or slapping their feet down so hard you can hear them coming is unreal.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
capriturbo
Part of the Furniture

As stated above don't just buy a brand name, unfortunately after years of running i've found trial and error are the only things that work best for me. There's a lot of evidence out there now showing that so called "shock absorbing" trainers are the cause of a lot of injuries. Have a look on google, its to do with the way they support the arch in your foot, which stops it absorbing the impact when you run. This causes all the impact from running to move up your legs, after a few months running this results in shin/knee injuries etc. I could rant on for ages about it lol. Look at it this way... before Nike came about in the 50's running injuries were almost unheard of, hell when people wore their footwear out (moccasins or pump type shoe) they just swamped them onto the other feet. Its only since the invention of big comfy soles that problems started to arise... My advice go with the cheapest comfiest trainer with the least amount of heal and arch support. *Waits to get shot down*

Alex

On a note about what Muz said above about running technique... the bigger the heel the more it forces you to heel strike, this stops your arch from doing its job completely.

Last edited by capriturbo; 11-01-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I know what you're saying. I usually use a proper Asics gel shoe when I run, but lately I've been doing alot of running at boxing, 2 miles as a warm up running POSE style on my forefoot for speed and I've been doing it in my Adidas canvas pumps I box in and I've had no problems with my reoccurring shin splints. I'd recommend looking into POSE style running.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM
capriturbo
Part of the Furniture

Look at it this way - humans were designed to run bare foot, when you do this your toes strike first then the arch (one of the strongest structures known to man, also where 1/4 of the bones in your body are) absorbs the impact and you move onto your heel, by wearing big clumpy trainers it stops this happening. I often hit 50+ miles a week in my yachting trainers or my trail shoes. Haven't touched a so called "running" trainer in over 2 years. Still injury free so I must be getting something right
Old 22-02-2011, 06:17 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Well i've finally got myself some Asics Gels that are charcoal gray and neon orange!

Look quite cool lol

So i can finally go for a run
Old 22-02-2011, 06:41 PM
hybridford
Regular Contributor

Personally cycling and swimming are far less damaging to your body long term than running, especially if running on hard surfaces. If you could jog on the beach or actual running track, this would be a lot less harsh on the old knees in my opinion. Having said that any exercise is better than none!
Old 22-02-2011, 06:47 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

I totally agree, but i don't plan on running for miles... Just a few miles as cycling and swimming are higher up on the list of things to do.
Old 22-02-2011, 07:07 PM
hybridford
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by BillyCabrio
I totally agree, but i don't plan on running for miles... Just a few miles as cycling and swimming are higher up on the list of things to do.
Fair play then mate. Good luck with it btw and hopefully a fair few months of decent cycling weather to come!