Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Couple of Deadlifts

Old 19-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of Deadlifts

Gym was quiet this afternoon so took a couple of vids - may be of no interest to most of you but fuckit

Lifted 200kg and 230kg before but never on video, and i'm going on a mini-cut on monday as i'm getting a bit podgy again so will probably lose a bit of strength so wanted to get these video'd for old times sake

First one pulled 200kg with no straps or belt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ICQJ...eature=channel

Then 230kg with straps only. - form is a bit ropey here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UwR5xoAg5M

Last edited by Coldo; 19-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 19-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

That's a lot of weight!! Look at this guy failing, just to make you feel even better, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2AY...eature=related

Benni.
Old 19-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
That's a lot of weight!! Look at this guy failing, just to make you feel even better, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2AY...eature=related

Benni.

Ha, aye, thats true. He ain't using straps though. The hardest bit of lifting over 200kg is holding onto the bar, for me anyway Need to work on grip maybe.
Old 19-09-2009, 05:47 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Deadlifts are the way forward to getting a great build.......... I always get dizzy from doing them though, always have
Old 19-09-2009, 05:53 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice one chap

There must have been a fit girl outside, theres a bloke behind staring out the window in the whole video
Old 19-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by godzilla
Deadlifts are the way forward to getting a great build.......... I always get dizzy from doing them though, always have

PMSL, same here, if i do a heavy set of say 180kg for 5/6 i stand off the bar and i'm dizzy as fuck

All about breathing i think.

Originally Posted by BM08
Nice one chap

There must have been a fit girl outside, theres a bloke behind staring out the window in the whole video
Probably! That big fella is a womaniser, meet him in town on a sat night, prowling for the drunk bitches Nice guy though.
Old 19-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

So what does a deadlight excersize?
Old 19-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Benni
So what does a deadlight excersize?
Lower back, Lats, Traps, delts, hammys, glutes. The king of lifts
Old 19-09-2009, 10:27 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good lifts mate.

deadlifting is one thing I never used to push myself at. I always get really dizzy no matter how I breathe. A couple of times I have finished a set, stood up and went dizzy and had a really white light in my eyes, kinda like being partially blind for a couple of seconds. Its odd and not nice.
Old 21-09-2009, 12:52 AM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Coldo a throw they weights out the way to get the beasts I do
Old 21-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work Coldo

I'm another one who gets dizzy doing deadlifts.
Old 21-09-2009, 08:38 AM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Red16
Good work Coldo

I'm another one who gets dizzy doing deadlifts.

Squats have made me dizzy before........bloody horrible!! Its scary when you feel so light headed and you look around and the gym is full and you think 'dont pass out, dont pass out' so quickly have to sit on the leg press which has a decline to it thus rushing the blood back to the head. I have found after some heavy deads or squats that if anyone coomes to talk to me a give them a quick 'catch up with you in a few mins mate' as really dont want to faint in front of anyone......nearly have and it was horrible. When on heavy androgenic steroids it makes me worse as they up my BP and Pulse. I have found taking a 10mg Diazepam tab 1hr before training and 2 Propranalol tabs cure this.
Old 21-09-2009, 08:44 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

fair play, good lift
Old 21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you ever lifted over 230kilos Coldo? out of interest
Old 21-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BM08
Have you ever lifted over 230kilos Coldo? out of interest

Not yet. Kind of stuck on 230kg just now, have attempted a 250kg but hardly got it off the ground. That was after a couple of working sets of 180x5 and 200x1 so was pretty knackered.

250kg is certainly my next target for the deadlifts but after ive had a mini cut over the next few weeks, im going to focus on bench press a bit more as i'm stuck on 100kg which is pants.
Old 21-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I've only ever gone light headed once when I walked underneath the Smith machine to get my water and next thing it was should pressed down onto my head. That was nasty and I am much more cautios now. Much, much more cautious.

I'd be well happy with a 100kg bench press, maybe one day!

Benni.
Old 22-09-2009, 09:08 PM
dp1958
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

top notch deads,what u like at squats,and flat bench,,,
Old 23-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dp1958
top notch deads,what u like at squats,and flat bench,,,

Pish!! 100kg flat bench and 200kg squat.
Old 23-09-2009, 01:29 PM
dp1958
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

230,dead,200,squat..for from pish.would blow away lots of trainers,just bring up b/press and your sorted.....
Old 23-09-2009, 05:01 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

LOL
Old 23-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilla
Squats have made me dizzy before........bloody horrible!! Its scary when you feel so light headed and you look around and the gym is full and you think 'dont pass out, dont pass out' so quickly have to sit on the leg press which has a decline to it thus rushing the blood back to the head. I have found after some heavy deads or squats that if anyone coomes to talk to me a give them a quick 'catch up with you in a few mins mate' as really dont want to faint in front of anyone......nearly have and it was horrible. When on heavy androgenic steroids it makes me worse as they up my BP and Pulse. I have found taking a 10mg Diazepam tab 1hr before training and 2 Propranalol tabs cure this.
You're using Diazepam and Propranolol to train with?

I really have got SO much respect for the dedication that your figure must take, but I think you are crazy using drugs like that.

Last edited by Chip; 23-09-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:39 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I like your tags Coldo
Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Coldo, hope you dont mind a few questions? Went in today to do deadlifts and started to think about my form. I use the squat rack and put the bar at the bottom, I then use a platform to stand on bringing my feet just under the bar. Feet normally shoulder width apart and then uder/over grip at roughly the part on the bar where it isnt knurled, say a an inch or so away from where my legs are. I then try to pull up whilst at the same time pushing my hips forward to haul it up. I managed 3 x 140kg today and had a go at 160 but it moved an inch and that was it! Felt happy that 120kg felt easier than it ever has done but disappointed that I couldnt get the 160 going. Keep watching your vids and im trying to think how I do it compared to yours, i seem a fair bit shorter than you which I would have though went in my favour. I think im most unsure of is where the bar should be. Am I making it harder by having the bar so close to my feet? would it better with the bar on the floor and me on the floor rahter than using the platform?
cheers
Steve
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by StephenC
Coldo, hope you dont mind a few questions? Went in today to do deadlifts and started to think about my form. I use the squat rack and put the bar at the bottom, I then use a platform to stand on bringing my feet just under the bar. Feet normally shoulder width apart and then uder/over grip at roughly the part on the bar where it isnt knurled, say a an inch or so away from where my legs are. I then try to pull up whilst at the same time pushing my hips forward to haul it up. I managed 3 x 140kg today and had a go at 160 but it moved an inch and that was it! Felt happy that 120kg felt easier than it ever has done but disappointed that I couldnt get the 160 going. Keep watching your vids and im trying to think how I do it compared to yours, i seem a fair bit shorter than you which I would have though went in my favour. I think im most unsure of is where the bar should be. Am I making it harder by having the bar so close to my feet? would it better with the bar on the floor and me on the floor rahter than using the platform?
cheers
Steve

Hmm, i'm a wee bit confused about the platform thing, i dont quite understand how you do it?

Simply bang 2 olympic plates on either side of an olympic bar and put it on ground, when you approach it, it should be mid-shin height?

My mental checklist when about to deadlift is below;

Before pulling;
Approach bar
Feet slightly wider than shoulder width
Toes pointing slightly outwards

Grip bar, hands about 18-20" apart, which should be just outside legs
Under over grip - strongest (the one you write with) hand over and secondry hand under.
Move bar to touch shins (when pulling it should almost drag up your shins)
Straighten your arms
Head up and look at where the wall meets the roof
Chest out to keep back as flat as possible
Have your shoulders inline with the bar, slightly behind if anything

Pulling;
When pulling, keep the bar as close to you as possible all the way through
Put the weight on your heels, not toes (this is something i still struggle with - got pish balance!)
Sit back - almost leaning back as if your going to sit on a chair
Push through heels, straighten legs, tighet arse and push hips through to lock out.

Thats it really!

When i start going heavy my form suffers though, which is expected.

EDIT; Check this guy out too. Mark Rippetoe - a weightlifting coach. His videos are good when struggling on form/technique!

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&oq=mark+rippe

Last edited by Coldo; 05-12-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:44 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

The platform is this kind of arrangement, I was told to do it for when I do stiff legged deadlifts to make sure I was getting right down rather than the bar been 8 or so inch off the ground as a result of the plates.

I kind of got used to doing that and just did it for normal deadlift aswell. I think though when going heavy on normal DL its making me reach too far as its basically like having the bar on your toes. I always keep the bar close to me, drawn blood many times on my shins. But never tried the leaning back part which thinking about it makes a lot of sense. Quite a few things to try next weekend now, looking forward to it cheers pal
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by StephenC
The platform is this kind of arrangement, I was told to do it for when I do stiff legged deadlifts to make sure I was getting right down rather than the bar been 8 or so inch off the ground as a result of the plates.

I kind of got used to doing that and just did it for normal deadlift aswell. I think though when going heavy on normal DL its making me reach too far as its basically like having the bar on your toes. I always keep the bar close to me, drawn blood many times on my shins. But never tried the leaning back part which thinking about it makes a lot of sense. Quite a few things to try next weekend now, looking forward to it cheers pal

Aha, i see.

IMO... that gonna make it loads harder as you have to lean much further over to grip the bar - can see how it would work on stiff legged deads tho!

Just move the bar out the rack and do it off the ground, with your feet on the ground too, thats gonna be the best way to get the weight up and maximize the back more than the hammys.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

deffo the way to go I reckon, that way certainly gets the hams on SLDL but like you say I think its detrimental to normal dead lifting.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have just started deadlifting, You pulled that up very easly, I managed a 160kg on Saturday with alot of sweating