Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

shoulder routiens

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default shoulder routiens

what who how when?

i start with presses then it get abit lost
Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seated barbell press, standing dumbell press, standing upright rows with bar, dumbell side raises, dumbell front raises, shrugs...
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
Seated barbell press, standing dumbell press, standing upright rows with bar, dumbell side raises, dumbell front raises, shrugs...
Exactly the same, and sometimes I do seated dumbells, standing barbell.

And for a bit of variety, upright rows, pull up to chin, then out in an arcing motion til arms are at full reach and then back down. Difficult one to describe that.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Kieron

As Ollie but with seated dumbell presses instead of barbell and no standing press for me. This is twofold as I have a weak lower back and military presses put undue pressure there aswell as puting alot of stress on the shoulder joint when going heavy and expecially when lowering the bar to the back of the neck.

I also sometimes do side raises but seated and leant forward with my chest of my knees. This hits the rear head of the Delt. Also try cable side raises, one arm at a time. Sounds odd but the constant tension means you control it more and feel the pull on the down stroke of the movement.

I train traps with back but thats down to personal preference. Traps work both with the back and shoulders so either or.

Most importantly though, and more so with shoulders, make sure your form is correct. The amount of pidgeons I see half the size of me chucking up twice the weight as me on side raises is astonishing. Its one of the easiest exercises to cheat at and it will do you no good. A light controlled weight is required and personally I dont need to go over 12.5kgs per dumbell for proper side raises. Keep the arms out, only slightly bent, and don't rock from your lower back
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kieron
Most importantly though, and more so with shoulders, make sure your form is correct. The amount of pidgeons I see half the size of me chucking up twice the weight as me on side raises is astonishing. Its one of the easiest exercises to cheat at and it will do you no good. A light controlled weight is required and personally I dont need to go over 12.5kgs per dumbell for proper side raises. Keep the arms out, only slightly bent, and don't rock from your lower back
Funny you should say that mate......I have found exactly the same on both side & front raises (I usually super set them with EZ Bar pullups) - only needs to be 10kg or so & I find not only do I get a better set but I can do them nice & slow & get a much better pump from it.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:29 AM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

i do pretty much every should exercise mentioned above dose any one followe a set order i.e. front side rear etc etc

usually so seated dumbbell, seat barbell in front of head (dont like behind)

the move on to side raise machine super set with standing side raises,

then front raises and seated bent over raises

i used to use cable side raises but get pain in the shoulder as with 1 armed side dumbbell raises
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Kieron

No specific set order for me but I do tend to go straight for the pressing after warming up as that exerts the most energy and gives me a nice pump ready for the lighter work.

Doesn't hurt to mix it up every few weeks though. Infact I would suggest it!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Kieron
No specific set order for me but I do tend to go straight for the pressing after warming up as that exerts the most energy and gives me a nice pump ready for the lighter work.

Doesn't hurt to mix it up every few weeks though. Infact I would suggest it!
I'm the same - dumbell shoulder presses always the first exercise after warming up - currently on 36kgs dumbells - big jump to the next 40kgs though so its going to take a while!! I've found that dropsets can work particularly well when trying to advance your weights on shoulder presses - i.e. 8x 28kgs, 8x22kgs, 8x 16kgs all straight after one another - then 3 or 4 sets of this.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
twoblacklines

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you do a standing barbell press, ie push bar up then down whilst standing, how do you ensure your back stays straight ?

mine ALWAYS bends and hence i dont do them for fear of injury.

Im trying to get slim get my bodyfat down to around 12% AND THEN pile on the muscle, however I dont want to lose the very wide shoulders i have at the moment. Weather there is muscle under the fat I dont really know, but wouldnt be suprised
Old 11-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
when you do a standing barbell press, ie push bar up then down whilst standing, how do you ensure your back stays straight ?

mine ALWAYS bends and hence i dont do them for fear of injury.
Go much lighter until you find the correct form and your back doesnt bend - then slowly increase the weight.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Kieron

Lee beat me to it. I was going to reply "quite simply, lower the weight"
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

you should wear a belt for standing its meant to be a rely good mass builder
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Lee_R21Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by marky_g
you should wear a belt for standing its meant to be a rely good mass builder
I think thats more deadlifts & squats to be honest mate.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Muska

If your form is good you shouldn't need a belt full stop.
unless you've suffered injury in the past and want to use it as a precaution.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
marky_g
Fleet Manager

i always though that, but after speaking to many many people about it i was told to wear a belt for safety

i was also told standing shoulder press was good for building shoulder mass not general mass lol
Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
vroomtshh

Originally Posted by marky_g
i always though that, but after speaking to many many people about it i was told to wear a belt for safety

i was also told standing shoulder press was good for building shoulder mass not general mass lol

Standing shoulder press is good for building shoulder mass, but as with most shoulder exercises, a lot of people cheat.
You caan build muscle without doing ridiculous amounts of weight, but most of the guys in my gym will stick more weight on, and be bending all over the place.

Thats when you need a belt. To save yourself an injury.

Personally I prefer seated press to standing press, as it forces you to concentrate more on form, and IMO gives me a better pump.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:16 PM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one of the worst things i see in the gym is when people use ridiculously to heavier dumbbell for seated press and go down an inch with there mates help. and then throw them on the floor to make noise so everyone can see what they were trying to lift. with most exercises form is way more important that than weight
Old 08-03-2009, 10:52 PM
chris^si
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by RUBY123
one of the worst things i see in the gym is when people use ridiculously to heavier dumbbell for seated press and go down an inch with there mates help. and then throw them on the floor to make noise so everyone can see what they were trying to lift. with most exercises form is way more important that than weight
After trying for over 2 years i can say the best gains i have got happened when i lowered the weight and went for perfect form, Results speak for them selves and because my form is right even tho a few months ago i thought i looked weak compared to those cheating there reps with bigger weights, but alas they have not increased weight because of the lack of form and i have caught up and possibly added more.

cheating doesn't pay
Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Ollie.

I shouldve been clearer... the standing dumbell press i do is single arm press... i dont like the pressure it puts on your back otherwise.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Mike C
The Special One

Shrugs! I swear by 'em!