Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

exercise and diet advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exercise and diet advice needed please

Hi
I want to lose about 6-9 pounds approx, as i am trying to build my fitness up to help with my sport, (football)

I have just started jogging, and do about 30mins jogging and cover approx 3 miles in this time ( i use mapmyrun.co.uk to confirm distance run) i do this so far once a week, but plan to start this twice a wek, i also have wieghts in my garage and use these 1-2 times a week (40mins approx) and also do 1hr football training twice a week. After running i am knackered, (as i havejust started i think that being knackered was good indication of possibly getting fitter /losing pounds) same as after the gym work and football i am usually also knackered, I am not overwieght really just have a bit of a gut, not a lot really.
However for the past 2 weeks that i have been doing this i have not lost any weight and have actually put on 1pound so i am a bit disheartened at the moment. I am thinking possibly that i could be building muscle which is heavier than fat so this could account for the wieght loss and plan to start measuring and recording some body measurements today.

I am thinking possibly my diet could be the reason, roughly per day i have the following
Bowl of branflakes skimed milk
banana during midday before run or footie (i do these in my lunchbreak on different days)
healthy sandwhich & yougurt
evening meal (rice & chicken keiv or similar)
I drink a lot of water during the day also

thats it really i dont eat a huge ammount so maybe my diet is just not enough or just wrong?

Is there anything obviously wrong with the above or does anyone have any tips please ?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

3 months ago i wouldnt be one to comment, but i hope you dont mind if i give you my view on things now ive been seriously training for 9weeks or so (and lost 30lbs in the process)

Im sure with all the football you play etc you are reasonably fit, however if its for fat loss purely, i would re-jig your diet a little.

First 2 meals are fine imo.

For lunch, you should drop the yoghurt and make sure the sandwich is high in protien, - i would personally drop the bread and replace it with a nice chicken breast (approx 200g) that you can grill the night before, have it with broccoli and/or salad, try not to add any sauce or oil/vinegar if possible.

After lunch, you should eat something before evening meal, or even a protien shake if you prefer, but a piece of fruit is enough. My understanding is that eating something here keeps the metabolism going, thus burning up the calories quicker.

Your evening meal is poor for weight loss, the rice is ok, chop this for brown rice though and deffo drop the kiev! Processed junk(bet it tastes good though!). Change this for a nice salmon fillet, or a chicken breast, also add some steamed veg into this meal, as much as you like really, within reason.

If you go to bed approx 11/12, you should eat again about 9, just a small thing, handful of mixed nuts, piece of fruit etc.

Watch out for citrus fruits, the citrus causes an insulin spike, which = no fat burning! Bananas, pears etc are best.

Also, instead of running twice a week, run once and walk once, a fast walk over hilly terrain is good for fat burning, essentially slow cardio is better for fat burning according to the experts. Lifting your weights is good too as carrying more muscle keeps your metabolism going - however too much muscle means you will put weight on/slow up on weight loss, so balance it out with plenty of cardio where possible.

Ive started doing 50sit ups and as many press ups as possible every evening too, takes 10mins and i can do it on my bedroom floor- every little helps.

Best of luck, the key is high protien, high excersise and eating small but often to keep the body working all day.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

great advice cheers mate