Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

getting rid of the beer belly..!?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default getting rid of the beer belly..!?

Guess it happens to us all eventually.. Never drink during the week.. well may have the odd pint etc.. but tend to drink friday/saturday nights. I eat fairly healthy so it has to be the beer

With Xmas coming up, ditching the alcohol really isnt an option, so Im guessing with the right exercise and diet I will be able to get the belly down..!?

Any advice? Im guessing sit-ups would certainly help?

thanks

Westy "AKA Man Boobs"..
Old 11-12-2007, 04:33 AM
robocos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No such thing as 'spot' reducing fat unfortunately. Lose it all over and the last bit to go is always around the middle.

Sit ups no good either. Your abs are in there, they're just covered by a layer of fat. Reduce your overall body fat sufficiently and your abs will miraculously appear.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Sip ups would increase the volume of your ab muscles (toning them) and therefore push your beer belly out more. As robocos said, go for teh all over bady fat reducing method - you'll feel better too.

Lay off the beer!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

diet is key - you sure your's is as good as you think it is?
do you go to the gym at all? its not essential but will certainly speed things up
Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

diet may not be that good then

boots meal deal at lunch..
and a meal in the evening.. Dont usually get time for breakfast

I have varied meals throughout the week, but I think the problem could be done to lack of exercise... I work long hours (office work) so time for the gym in the evening is a no go, as Im not back until late...

Looks like Im destined
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

not at all mate - you just need to clean your diet up and try and at least do a little more exercise!

first of all, and from the looks of the smilie you already know you are in the wrong, dont skip breakfast!!
I'm not sure what the Boots meal deal is, and do you have a proper evening meal or a readymeal etc?
You don't need to make massive changes, just eat proper food (you know what you should be eating ) and add some exercise in. Even if its just a walk around the block at lunch, steps on the stairs before bed etc - they all burn calories which is what you need to do.
Old 17-12-2007, 07:47 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dont skip breakfast, this si the worst idea ever. Make sure you have something at any rate.

Bin the meal deal, prepacked sandwiches arent all bad, and if you get water thats ok, but the bag of sweets/ crisps is never a good thing.

evening meal, you havent said what, but try and avoid the obvious pizza/takeaway.

If you snack at work or whatever, try a bag of apples/pears/bananas or whatever instead.

Everyone will call you a gay, but stop drinking beer and start drinking spirits and mixer instead, preferably diet (for an event last year we all needed to dip for the team weight limit, so the whole sailing team were of beer for 2 months)

And then, as above, take any oportunity you can for exercise, take the stairs instead of the lift, walk when you can, and try and get a litle done in the morning/evening.
Old 20-12-2007, 07:47 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in a similar position as Westy really and want to start losing the belly after xmas.... I'm lucky in that we have a gym at workso do have access to it.

Couple of things.....

1) I always try and eat breakfast but got in the habit of having a cooked one most days now. I've vowed to cut it out completely after xmas but what would the ideal brekky be? Toast is bad as well isn't it? (complete diet amateur!). I also always have a few cups of tea during the day, do I presume water would be better for me? - perhaps even with some sugar free orange squash in? (drinking water bores me!)

2) To lose the belly what sort of exercise should I be doing? I'm currently about 11stone7, 33" waist (ish!) and 5foot8. Not really fussed about weight loss but want to tone and perhaps strengthen up a little. There seems to be so many different fitness plans to do its confusing!! Is running / rowing the best thing to do??

Any help would be great . Having seen the likes of Rob and Stu looking completely different from when they started training i know there is someone here that can help!!!

Thanks
Chris
Old 20-12-2007, 12:44 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster

2) To lose the belly what sort of exercise should I be doing? I'm currently about 11stone7, 33" waist (ish!) and 5foot8. Not really fussed about weight loss but want to tone and perhaps strengthen up a little. There seems to be so many different fitness plans to do its confusing!! Is running / rowing the best thing to do??

Any help would be great . Having seen the likes of Rob and Stu looking completely different from when they started training i know there is someone here that can help!!!

Thanks
Chris
Start with some light cardio mate, say 30 mins 3 times a week (bit of jogging, fast walking, great if you have a dog, maybe a bit of cycling). An easy exercise that cuts you up to the max is skipping. Try 1 min to start with, then 1 min rest.....do this for 4 sets for the first 2 weeks then up it to say 90 seconds with 1 min rest.

Your diet is the key to loosing the tum! Drop your carbs slightly through the day (if your going to eat bread make sure its brown, huge no to white bread or pasta) and have no carbs after 6pm, do this for 6 weeks and see how you get on, be ready for a shock!