Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

swimming after weights advice

Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 AM
fez87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swimming after weights advice

hi,

after a session with the weights is it advisable to go swimming? i am wanting to build mass therefore do alot of heavy weights with low reps. so is it advisable to go swimming or does it effect the muscle growth compared to not going swimming?

thanks
wayne
Old 07-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Warm up. Gym session then cool down with swimming works well for me.

Swimming can assist muscle growth in that your cooling down & stretching out the muscles you've just targeted.
I tend to use the pool as a cardio training ground aswell

I've learned a lot about the effects breathing has on the body by altering my breathing whilst swimming/diving which assists in elevated cardio awareness.

Cardio awareness when carried over to The Gym and used during excercise, will aid in maximising the effect of each rep and therefore aid in your ability to push heavyer weight whilst increasing strength.

So to answer your question in short. YES!
Old 07-08-2007, 03:21 PM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

me, and a few big lads at the gym believe that exercising immediately AFTER working out is using valuable energy that your muscles need to recover/grow.

although this isnt scientifically proven, many lads swear by it.

i think it's just another case of differing opinion when it comes to the gym.
Old 30-08-2007, 09:56 AM
dj22y

ive been a competitive swimmer for the best part of 18 years and i swimming isnt going to stretch off you muscles after a work out with anything after a work out you muscle tense up and thats when you should stretch off on dry land, because if you start doing heavy work outs then going in the pool, cramp or other things could set in and you'll be saying hello to mr lifeguard. where as if your doing a cardio session your muscles are already being used and wudnt tense up as much as using weights, i always find i can lift my arms up after a weight train sesh let along go for a swim!!!