Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Wuhey ... joined the gym

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Modder_J
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wuhey ... joined the gym

Finally got round to getting into the gym (quite handy working at a college that teaches fitness to have a very modern gym).

Been thinking of joining since it opened, but now I have some spare time I thought why not now. So last night I had my first of 3 inductions to the equipment (tonight is the 2nd).

I said that I would like to get in there 4 times a week (it's open 5 days a week, but I do Kung Fu on one of those nights), and it would give a few days rest from the workouts.
Speaking to the guy who runs and teaches the students, he said not to get onto the weights ... to stick at cardio/full body workout, even though I'd prefer to do weights.
Would I be right in assuming doing cardio for a few weeks/months would benifit in the long run at weights ie breathing and getting the blood pumping?
Doing the cardio would help a lot with getting rid of my gut (on top of changing what I eat) ... but weights is what I'm interested in.

Thanks for reading you may rest now.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

If weights are what you are interested in then i would say you and teh trainer are at cross purposes pal. Theres no reason why you cant get straight on the weights using a little care and self discipline and i cant understand why you have been advised otherwise.

Go for it mate.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Modder_J
Regular Contributor

Ended up doing as you said Stu ... although a mate who I work with (who is kinda training me) has got me on weights anyway

Well its been over a month since I joined ... and damn is there some changes. I think I've maintained weight, but at the same time getting rid of the excess gut. My arms, shoulders, thighs and back have become more defined and slightly larger (which is what I'm aiming for).

I started going about 2 times a week for the first 1-2 weeks as work was requiring more time ... and I'm now mostly on 4 times a week visiting between 40-90mins. I would go 5 times, but I like doing Kung Fu

I've now split the week up, at the moment Mon,Wed and Fri is a full body workout (starting and finishing with some cardio), and Tues is a cardio day. Thursday is the Kung Fu.

My mate said it would be a good idea to do full body work outs for the first 6-8 weeks, then move onto more concentrated areas ... so after x-mas I'll do that

I have noticed in the last week or so that I can manage to lift more weights (or in my leg case, push the weights slower) but still manage to do the same amount of reps ... maybe I wasn't trying hard enough :P
Old 13-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Red_GTi
Part of the Furniture

take what people say to you about training with a pinch of salt mate, the fitness industry is very contradictory. that trainer in your first thread gave his opinion, what works for him very likely won't work for you. as stu said, bit surprised that he said something like that.

you sound really into your kung fu, try looking at sports and fitness development sites for suggestions on kung fu training in the gym. something like that would give a real boost to your performance in the sport.

This guys site may be of some help:

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/index.htm

they offer a training advice email aswell:

brian@brianmac.demon.co.uk

good luck
Old 17-12-2006, 09:08 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KUNG FU

The reason why you were advised to not do weight with KUNG FU is because relaxed muscle moves much much faster than thick tensed muscle, and too mcu muscle is counter productive for certain martial arts.
I did PUCH MAE for 18 years, as well as HEAVEN AND THUNDER LIGHTNING FIST/ 49 FIST FORM.
I have been there an done it, don't get me wrong you can do both but muscle is not good for martial arts where you want less mass/weight and this is an advantage in this repect.
tabetha
Old 18-12-2006, 09:38 AM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

So what about the neuromusclar improvements you see early in a weight training program, why's that going to be counter productive as it adds no weight?To completley exclude resistance training from such a sport seems completley daft, if done correctly it could and would be very effective.