Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Resistance training

Search this Thread

Old 20-06-2006, 10:40 PM
mackers
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resistance training

Maybe a stupid question but what is the difference between the normal weights I`m doing at the minute and resistance training? Thanks
Old 21-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Nothing pal, resisance training is anything that involves pushing or pulling against a resistance.
Old 21-06-2006, 06:25 PM
mackers

thanks for clearing that up mate, you were saying the other day about other people in the gym and ignore the weights their lifting, its hard. Met a fella I went to school with and he`s pretty big, lifting twice as much as me, bit downheartening, oh well I`ll keep at it anyway
Old 21-06-2006, 07:24 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by mackers
thanks for clearing that up mate, you were saying the other day about other people in the gym and ignore the weights their lifting, its hard. Met a fella I went to school with and he`s pretty big, lifting twice as much as me, bit downheartening, oh well I`ll keep at it anyway
Honestly mate its bloody hard work, i agree, its a man thing, but you just have to deal with it in your head and go with it, try to keep your form perfect, its FAR more important than the weight. Lets face it, when we see someone huffing and puffing and spitting trying to lift a weight they cant, its painfully obvious to us all, and we have a little chuckle inside... dont be the subject of our chuckle.

On a positive note, my technique has worked damn well for me over the last 8months and ive gone from benching 40kg to 82, from bicep curling 10kg to 20 and from shoulder pressing 25kg to 55. Calve and leg presses have gone from around 85 to over 200. I max the gyms leg machine very easily now, thats why i have had to buy myself a squat rack for the home. These weights will be laughed at by some fellas reading this, but it doesnt matter mate, what matters is that I am happier with myself, my self confidence is improving and i am getting stronger and healthier. Even teh X trainer was an arse. I started off almost passing out at 5mins Now i do 20mins, then 10 on teh rower, 10 on teh stepper and 10 on teh treadmill. There are no downsides to working out other than time.

My only tip is eat enough protein without fail, and never end a set without a failure. If you can do a rep of 8 its too light. May not be to everyones taste but it is to mine, and ALWAYS keep a log so you KNOW what you did last week. It gives you a target to aim for and try to beat.

Best of luck. Enjoy it.
Old 21-06-2006, 10:15 PM
mackers

Thanks for the good advice, I`ll keep at it, I have a personal trainer when I go down and she pushes you on as far as you can go, I`m sure I`ll look back in a few months and see my progress then I`ll be happy
Old 23-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

She? Sounds a great start!!
Old 24-06-2006, 05:49 PM
mackers

yeah she and she can lift alot of weight