Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

newbie please please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 27-04-2006, 09:46 PM
fezzaminx
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie please please help!!!!!

hi im tammy, a newbie!
anyways im very stressed out with my course but i have a graudation ball in june ive been to the gym since december and not getting anyway please help me im not gain or losing weight which is annoying! and i really want to look good for my ball especially after spending £300 on a dress iv been dieting, dieting tablets starving myself (which i know is wrong! ) and lots of exercise anyone?
Old 27-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what you trying to do tammy, tone yourself up i presume
Old 27-04-2006, 09:52 PM
fezzaminx

well iv gained a stone so i want to loose that but i know that will take time? but if i can in the meantime tone a little? i dont think i'll have time now to lose anyweight will i?
Old 27-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Tammy you may find most of the topics in this room helpful to you. Best bet is to do some cardiovascular.

Trying going for a jog every day and doing some situps
Old 27-04-2006, 10:04 PM
fezzaminx

i go to the gym twice a week i do light wieght training and about an hour running and cardio exercise i also work alot on my abdomen, i also have a busy lifestyle as i working the hospital so im up about on my feet all day. im just wondering whether it could be down to me being so stress that its the stress hormone not helping me loose wieght?
Old 27-04-2006, 10:52 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

what foos are you eating
Old 28-04-2006, 07:31 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

could be down to me being so stress that its the stress hormone not helping me loose wieght?
Possibly, i have read that on more than one occassion and i personally beleive there is some truth too it.

If you have an active job and are regular at the gym then i would say it's your diet that needs looking at and from what you've mentioned.

Undereating can be just as bad (nearly) as overeating and there is a good chance you may have slowed your metabolism right down to starvation mode where your body will fight too keep hold of its fat levels for back-up.

Post up what you currently eat in a day, then people can offer advice
Old 28-04-2006, 08:36 AM
fezzaminx

Originally Posted by FAST AS FORD
could be down to me being so stress that its the stress hormone not helping me loose wieght?
Possibly, i have read that on more than one occassion and i personally beleive there is some truth too it.

If you have an active job and are regular at the gym then i would say it's your diet that needs looking at and from what you've mentioned.

Undereating can be just as bad (nearly) as overeating and there is a good chance you may have slowed your metabolism right down to starvation mode where your body will fight too keep hold of its fat levels for back-up.

Post up what you currently eat in a day, then people can offer advice
hi thanks!
i believe that it could be stress level as i was reading this article and it mentioned it but i werent too sure +wanted to know if other ppl believed it

i find it difficult to have time to eat and drink!
on a busy day i have:
breakfeast weatabix with semi-skimmed milk

lunch i usually miss as its too busy

after work i normally eat a bigish meal like cook dinner/ curry and rice/ pizza etc

through out the day i drink 1 cup of tea and have a litre of water

when its not busy i have one sandwich for lunch

anyone?
thanx
x
Old 28-04-2006, 08:54 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

Your not eating enough - you must make time to have lunch, missing it all together will slow your metabolism (starvation mode) then when you eat a biggish meal in the evening your body will store more in terms of bodyfat, that is very simply put of course.

Your better off having a bigger lunch than tea as your more active and the excess calories will be used throughout the day. Having a big meal in the evening then sitting on the couch watching t.v etc, then going to bed means your not using much energy, especially as you've lowered your bmr from starving yourself throughout the day.

Try having less carbs in your evening meals and in the evening in general, i.e, have plenty of meat/veg but smaller portion potatoes/pasta/rice, see how you go from there.

Have you thought about doing maybe yoga classes or something similar to help with your stress? Just an idea

Old 28-04-2006, 09:16 AM
fezzaminx

FAST AS FORD

thanx for the advice i will try my best in eating more in the day and less in the evenings!
i have thought about it but theres no time in my life at mo.
i'm waiting til i finish my course which wont be long when i qualify then i'll have more spare time
[/b]
Old 28-04-2006, 09:48 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Tammy, read the 8th post down,

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...ighlight=foods
Old 28-04-2006, 10:00 AM
fezzaminx

Originally Posted by RSPTG
ok will do after work bye for now
Old 28-04-2006, 10:30 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

ok, and it's 226-your age for a Female.

You will know what this means when you read the first few paragraphs.
Old 29-04-2006, 12:23 AM
fezzaminx

Originally Posted by RSPTG
ok, and it's 226-your age for a Female.

You will know what this means when you read the first few paragraphs.
hey thanks again just read through it and worked it all out but its seems so much do i have to eat 1680 a day or just on that certain day (soz im tried from work and there was lots to read), i thought i would need to eat less cals to lose weight but hey i'll give it a go! only concern is gaining weight from muscle i dont want to look butch? i wont will i?

will i need to eat more than wat u stated if so wat would u suggest?

ok off to bed now spk soon
Old 29-04-2006, 11:14 AM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hi,

dont get confused with people talking about having positive energy balances (i.e you consume more calories than you use) and loosing weight, as you do this to build muscle. To loose weight or get more toned you need a negative energy balance (you consume less calories than you use). So from the calculation make sure you consume less calories than you use (not too many less though!). Once youve got into it, then you can fine tune things (i.e maybe eat a bit more if weight loss has been too rapid) by monitoring your progress through weight loss for example. But without knowing your weight etc its hard to help, for example if you are already nice and trim, it maybe better to consume the same amount fo calories than you consume so you dont get too skinny. Basically just use your loaf, it may seem complicated but it essense its not.
Old 29-04-2006, 05:42 PM
fezzaminx

Originally Posted by DaveMCMkIII
Hi,

But without knowing your weight etc its hard to help, for example if you are already nice and trim, it maybe better to consume the same amount fo calories than you consume so you dont get too skinny. Basically just use your loaf, it may seem complicated but it essense its not.

i hate telling ppl my weight they think im hugh for a girl , well im 5'6 ft and 12st i use to be 11st before, i look the same build as mariah carey im curvy untonned due to neglect of exercise and putting the stone on but my legs are really tonned im starting to tone my arms, and lots of work on my stomuch, i do have lots of fat on the lower back which i dont know what exercise to do to get rid of it? i know im not going to be really skinny and 10st is the lowest to go down to be healthy but to look at me ppl say i look thin cos im tallish.
keep the suggestion coming as they r helping me as iv already started to eat at lunch time and cut bad carb out so please continue
Tammy
~~~~
Old 29-04-2006, 08:23 PM
stevieel

After reading through the posts, I think that the first and most important thing to do is nail your diet, this can be hard to do at first but with discipline and dedication it becomes easier.

You need to make sure you eat regular amounts at regular times, if you have a busy lifestyle and dont have time to eat sometimes then you should maybe go for a quick fix like a protein shake or bar as its not good to miss meals.

Try and get about 40 mins good cardio about three times a week( i prefer first thing in the morning on an empty stomach )

And very important get quality rest as well.

If you go onto a dedicated website for training etc you can find many routines and diet suggestions that will help you a great deal.
I am fortunate that my gym owner is five times Mr Universe and Britains strongest man the last two years, his knowledge is phenomenal in this field as you would expect.

Another thing, hook up with a training partner, this will get you to perform 110%, i do all my running with my good lady who is losing the belly after having two children (she is making good progress) we do about 5 miles a time, and i do all my gym work with a good mate although he lifts at least twice anything i max out on (hes into it hardcore doing Mr Britain next Sunday) he knows his stuff and the motivation and encouragement i get is fantastic.

Oh and very important go to a decent gym that has a good range of equipment.

Im sure if you put up your diet we can help with it, like someone allready mentioned drop carbs down afetr tea time i drop em after 5pm as much as i can, gets boring having tuna, protein shakes, turkey chicken etc but the difference it makes is great.

Good Luck

Ste
Old 30-04-2006, 10:16 AM
fezzaminx

Originally Posted by stevieel

Im sure if you put up your diet we can help with it, like someone allready mentioned drop carbs down afetr tea time i drop em after 5pm as much as i can, gets boring having tuna, protein shakes, turkey chicken etc but the difference it makes is great.

Good Luck

Ste
thanks Ste sound like u go to a good gym, the gym i'm at they have good equipment yesterday i was talking to one of the lads who work down there and we starting a training programme hopefully that will help

i never use to eat breakfast and lunch but im changing that cos i wake-up really early in the morning 5am i dont feel like having breakfast but for a month now i have started to eat breakfast and then when i have a break at 10am i eat fruits but then never eat anything for dinner, im not in work until monday so i will try then too see if i can fit in lunch

yesterday i had
7am breakfast weatabix with semi-skimmed milk

9:30am scrabled eggs but using only 1egg york and 5 whites nothing added, with 1 slice of wholemeal bread.

12:00pm spagetti bol- using wholemeal pasta (surprised that it didnt taste different) low fat mince meat and made the sauce myself so i know it was healthy.

3:00pm salad and chicken

7:00pm natural yogurt and add fresh fruits.

i didnt eat after 7 cos i read somewhere that u shouldn't is this right???

i feel this is an vast improvment from before and i was surprised that i wasn't hungry craving for junk food, but i have planned just in case i do get cravings to eat fruits, nuts or seeds? i drunk 1.5 litre of water which was really good. but like i said this was done when i wasn't working.

the only thing left now is to try and get all my uni work and my exams done after afort night then started eating probably and exercising and sleeping probably as i know im not sleeping well.

thanks again
Tammy
Old 30-04-2006, 11:29 AM
DaveMCMkIII

I know the stress of uni work and training, im completing my final year now and got my exams left to do while training for a triathlon. Put together a routine that is achievable while your working, because if you make it unrealistic and too much, you'll miss sessions, get frustrated, loose confidence and drop out.

I could spend all week with you talking about diet and training regimes because there are so many ways to go about doing things. All id say is:

a. Train atleast 3 times p/w

b. include atleast 40 mins cardio

c. inculde some light resistance training before if you want

d. include some core stability exercises (abdominal work) twice a week

e. dont starve yourself, eat well, but eat healthy

f. enjoy it!

when i say 'atleast' i dont mean 'thats nothing' i mean thats around where you want to start, because more nessercerelly isnt better (for the same reasons i pointed out earlier). Also dont be affraid to do cardio out the gym, i do non at the gym, i hate it, its boring. Nothing beats getting out on the road and getting some fresh air and catching some rays.

Stick to it, be determined, dont give up and you will se results. Hope that helps, its very general and basic but complicating thigns never helps when talking to someone just getting started.
Old 30-04-2006, 02:12 PM
stevieel

i didnt eat after 7 cos i read somewhere that u shouldn't is this right???

i always eat after 7, just lo carbs thats all, so maybe can of tuna with a little salad, or a protein shake

Would cripple me not having any food before bed

Ste
Old 30-04-2006, 06:17 PM
fezzaminx

thanks dave and ste ur suggestion and advice is appreciated
i know i wont have immediate result but i know i will get there and i have the determination to keep going. thanks, with you lot giving me advice im feeling though i could change things and be more healthier i will take it slow and step by step.
Tammy