Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

How to gain a 6 Pack

Search this Thread

Old 25-03-2006, 08:46 PM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to gain a 6 Pack

Please tell me how to gain a 6 pack. I know sit ups do it but surley theres something else aswel? Im a 33'' waist, would like professional help
Old 25-03-2006, 08:49 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Lie flat on your back raise your legs together 6 inches off the ground and hold for a minute open your legs and hold for another minute legs back together and hold for a further minute and repeat.
Old 25-03-2006, 08:53 PM
JimRS

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Lie flat on your back raise your legs together 6 inches off the ground and hold for a minute open your legs and hold for another minute legs back together and hold for a further minute and repeat.
do you use that ecersise?
Old 26-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Situps by themselves will do fuck all. YOu need to drop bodyfat to see definition in any of your muscles, but especially the waist area.

Hit the cardio and cut out pies and beer(not saying you have these )
Old 26-03-2006, 04:17 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRS
Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
do you use that ecersise?
Did it for me when i played football.
Old 26-03-2006, 06:45 PM
JimRS

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Situps by themselves will do fuck all. YOu need to drop bodyfat to see definition in any of your muscles, but especially the waist area.

would you recommend cardio everyday?
Old 26-03-2006, 10:36 PM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

when i do sit ups (fookin hate doing them!!) i'll hug a weight, say 5-10kg disc as this gives more resistance for the muscles.
Old 27-03-2006, 09:14 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton

would you recommend cardio everyday?
You will need to concentrate on your diet more than the crunches.

Cardio 6 days a week in the morning on an empty stomach before breakfast will burn the fat.

https://passionford.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152307
Old 28-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Been told to gain six packs is fook hard! I would love one but can never see it happening as i love beer and takeaway to much.

Allthough i have start back to the gym agian after 8 months away Im going to stop chasingf the six pack dream and just get myself fit and see if i can get semi defined.
Old 29-03-2006, 10:40 AM
JimRS

hey boys iv done 40mins on the running machine this week and burned 500 callories, is that good result? how often shal i keep this up to gain a awsome stomach?

Jim
Old 29-03-2006, 11:24 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Jim, well done but it's not just about exercise,...you must get the diet right aswell or you could do all the cardio in the world and not see your sixpack.

Sorry to put a bit of a downer on it, but if it was easy every one would be walking round ripped.

You need to combine cardio, weight training, strict diet and consistency along with patience.....and stay away from all the good things in life, beer, cakes, sugar, processed foods, most simple carbs, no missing meals, working out calories and weighing your food to name just a few .

Hope this helps
Old 29-03-2006, 03:14 PM
allsteel
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Helps? He's probably just topped his self.
Old 29-03-2006, 07:29 PM
JimRS

Originally Posted by allsteel
Helps? He's probably just topped his self.
lol
Old 30-03-2006, 05:31 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You don't really want to loose any more than 1-2lbs a week. Slow consistent progress will last longer than yo-yo dieting so it will take time I'm afraid. Allow a good couple of months, at least, to see some good progress.

Paul.
Old 30-03-2006, 07:35 AM
JimRS

Thanks guys for all your comments, I have been on a healthy diet since Jan06 and notice muscel growth all over my body, occasionaly i do eat a bit of chocolate now and then, its just a craving as some of you will probably know.

cheers again
Old 08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
bigwelshlad

thought this was some kind of freebie voucher to get some stella !
Old 08-04-2006, 04:31 PM
bigwelshlad

....was so disappointed !
Old 13-04-2006, 02:13 PM
jonnyboy401
Virgin

Most ppl already have a 6 pack, or near on a 6 pack. But also most ppl have layers of fat covering it. I'm new by the way, hi.
Old 13-04-2006, 04:23 PM
bigwelshlad

Originally Posted by jonnyboy401
Most ppl already have a 6 pack, or near on a 6 pack. But also most ppl have layers of fat covering it. I'm new by the way, hi.
....and sorry btw - should have said welcome !
Old 15-04-2006, 12:33 PM
jonnyboy401
Virgin

Originally Posted by bigwelshlad
....and sorry btw - should have said welcome !
thank you
Old 27-04-2006, 12:53 AM
AlcoholicA

I maybe a newbie, but I joined PF after you....

[admittedly my id is not the most fitness-mided kind of id that you could imagine? I do like the occasional beer or two...]

I have to agree though.... everyone has the 6-pack muscles, its just that they are not defined and are well hidden behind layers of body fat.

I've been working on my own fitness for the last 6 months, and only just now am I starting to see benefits. The slow time to see any benefit can be quite de-motivating, but you have to set a target and keep striving to it.

People often have the misconception that situps are all that you need to do to get a 6-pack, and will strive towards doing hundreds of situps per day.... well, it just doesn't work like that. You have to work every muscle to improve overall muscle definition, and to reduce overall bodyfat.

30 minutesof cardio in the morning, followed by high protein breakfast, and an afternoon/early evening workout with weights is a good practise to get into. Don't forget that your daytime meals should be well balanced.

Whatever else you do, DO NOT be tempted to skip the occasional meal, as that will slow your metabolism, and will make it more difficult for you to burn fat... which means no progress.
Old 27-04-2006, 01:04 AM
AlcoholicA

hey boys iv done 40mins on the running machine this week and burned 500 callories, is that good result?
I hate to burst your bubble, but you didn't lose 500 calories. You just did enough exercise that at optimum level COULD have burned that many calories, but considering that the average body doesn't reach output levels required to begin burning calories in noticable quantities until around 20 minutes into a workout, you would be lucky to have burned 250 calories...

So, congratulations - you burned 2 cans of pepsi.....

Really, I don't mean to bring you on a downer... but just help you realise that burning calories and excess fat is not as easy as many sources may say so.

If I had Ł1 pound for all of my friends who believed all of the 6-pack fitness regieme hype, who eventually gave up and had never got anywhere near a 6 pack - I'd have enough money to go out and buy a few pints and a kebab.... luckily for me, all my friends are tight-a$$es and never pay up on their bets, so - no kebab for me....
Old 27-04-2006, 09:47 AM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

AcoholicA - dont mean to burst your bubble what you said makes no sense. Optimum level....what optimum level?The best zone for gaining fitness (endurance), which would also facilitate weight loss is the aerobic zone, around 70-80% of max HR and this could easily be achieved within 2 minutes of exercising. You cannot run on a treadmil at a pace that resulted in you burning 500 calories according to it and say 'oh you didnt start burning significant calories til 20 mins' because you can, and if you didnt, it wouldnt be attainable. Its more than likely he was running at steady state too so his energy output would have been constant (i.e similar throughout). The only way there would be a significant increase in the number of calories burnt after say 20 mins of exercise, would be the result of you going into your anaerobic zone, where the energy pathways change, or possibly changes in environmental conditions (i.e temperature)
Old 27-04-2006, 01:01 PM
jonnyboy401
Virgin

Originally Posted by AlcoholicA
People often have the misconception that situps are all that you need to do to get a 6-pack, and will strive towards doing hundreds of situps per day.... well, it just doesn't work like that. You have to work every muscle to improve overall muscle definition, and to reduce overall bodyfat.
Doing hundreds of situps a day will give you a 6 pack, it depends on your body type as to how long it takes you. You could get a perfect 6 pack by just doing situps, and then cardio to lose the fat. Obviously this wouldnt be a good idea as you'd look silly if you were well puny but had the perfect 6 pack.
Old 27-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Rs1

Doing hundreds of situps a day will give you a 6 pack, it depends on your body type as to how long it takes you. You could get a perfect 6 pack by just doing situps, and then cardio to lose the fat. Obviously this wouldnt be a good idea as you'd look silly if you were well puny but had the perfect 6 pack.
Not quite. Everybody(anatomicly correct ) has a six pack,abilty to see it depends on the individuals body fat over the area,i.e. stomach.
DaveMCmkIII,you obvioulsy know what your taking about is AlcoholicA possible confusing/mixing a little bit of glycogen burn off time in with his optimum workout/calorie burn time? Given the choice doesn't the body fuel of he glycogen first before useing fat resources? Hence not buring the calories in the first 20mins? IIRC thats roughly how long the average persons glycogen supply lasts,i may be wrong And ofcourse training can modified to suit max calorie burn time by training after fasting,i.e. after a nights sleep with no food after 9pm the previous night then go do some cardio in the morning.
What do you think?
Old 27-04-2006, 08:40 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hi, regarless of whether oxygen, glycogen or fat are used as fuel, calories are still burnt. Many pople think using fat as a primarly energy source (i.e. via glycogen depletion by eating very few carbs and performing cardio following after a high intensity workout prior) is good. Actually by doing so you body will begin to use your muscles as an energy source, which as you can expect, is extreamly hindering.

Energy pathways are very complicated but your body never just uses glycogen or just uses oxygen for example, they are used in parralell but in different amounts depending on exercise intensity and duration.

Basically i would advice doing cardio in the zone i have suggested and consuming adequate carbohydrates (and the right types!). Hope this helps
Old 27-04-2006, 09:42 PM
jonnyboy401
Virgin

Originally Posted by Rs1
Not quite. Everybody(anatomicly correct ) has a six pack,abilty to see it depends on the individuals body fat over the area,i.e. stomach.
DaveMCmkIII,you obvioulsy know what your taking about is AlcoholicA possible confusing/mixing a little bit of glycogen burn off time in with his optimum workout/calorie burn time? Given the choice doesn't the body fuel of he glycogen first before useing fat resources? Hence not buring the calories in the first 20mins? IIRC thats roughly how long the average persons glycogen supply lasts,i may be wrong And ofcourse training can modified to suit max calorie burn time by training after fasting,i.e. after a nights sleep with no food after 9pm the previous night then go do some cardio in the morning.
What do you think?
If you read what i put earlier on, i already said that everyone has a 6 pack. What i meant when i said that doing hundreds of situps a day will give you a 6 pack, is that it will make ur stomach muscles larger therefor the 6 pack will show.
Old 28-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Rs1

I'm not sure thats true though mate,the percentage of which abdominal muscle can grow isn't anyhting like.........say your biceps. Also i belive that the greater range of movement of a situp(as opposed to crunches)will flaten out your abs(aswell as build) which will make it more so difficult to see a definitive cut line.
Old 30-04-2006, 10:48 PM
jonnyboy401
Virgin

Originally Posted by Rs1
I'm not sure thats true though mate,the percentage of which abdominal muscle can grow isn't anyhting like.........say your biceps. Also i belive that the greater range of movement of a situp(as opposed to crunches)will flaten out your abs(aswell as build) which will make it more so difficult to see a definitive cut line.
All depends on the body type really. That works for my body type as i'm naturally defined. I have a very high metabolism.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Rs1

Naturally defined
I am also naturally defined aka skinnny git