Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

training regime

Search this Thread

Old 21-03-2006, 08:52 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default training regime

Im doing the Race For Life at the beginning of June for cancer research UK, i have pulled out f it two years in a row because i "couldn't be bothered" but if i carry on im going to be more unhealthy than i already am.

Basic lowdown, i've been smoking for early 4 years now, fitness levels have plummetted over the years. My asthma kicks off after a while where i have to take quite a long break, when it comes to the gym, i rush it all at once get into that stage where i can't really breathe anymore and give up instead of waiting and trying again.

I also have my prom at the end of june, i tried on the dress yesterday, i feel like i can only breathe through my nose when wearing the top piece because i cant let my stomach out....not saying i need to lose weight, because for my height im actually underweight apparently, i just need to tone up for the dress, just so i feel more comfortable in it...

And when it comes to Race For Life, i want to be able to take it at a slow jogging pace...it's a 2km-3km run. I just need the motivation, and i would really like to tone up, just always slips my mind then i think about it and realise i really cant be bothered.......

What made you all realise you needed to do something about your physique and how did you come up with your plan for exercising?

Paul, i know your mostly into the weights and everything, but i was hoping you might be able to help me a bit
Old 22-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you already know what the major problem is Smoking and asthma do not go together so the first step is to start cutting it out. I can't advise how as I've never been a smoker but I know there are plenty of self help and other support groups which can help you.

As far as training is concerned you need to take it easy at first and concentrate on making small improvements. This is how I would go about it but someone like Stu's sis(Yamaha) who is a runner may have some better advice.

Start by walking around the block each night, you don't need to go to the gym and push yourself generating an asthma attack. Take a friend/husband/boyfriend/lesbian lover with you too(especially if you are at risk of an asthma attack). At first you want to walk at a pace where you can still hold a conversation. This isn't particularly intensive but it will get you into the habit.

Once you have found a good route and you are out for at least 30mins, try to pick up the pace a little. Use time as a target and try and knock off 30secs-1min initially. Eventually you should become more accustomed to it. The next stage will be to introduce jogging. Maybe just for 2mins at a time, walk for 5 mins and the jog again for 2mins. This will again gradually build up your stamina slowly and should hopefully avoid any asthma related problems.

As far as toning goes, obviously situp related exercises will tone your middle. You have the option of normal situps, twists, crunches, leg raises and so on. I'd advise doing them after your walk/jog. Aim for 3 sets of 15 reaps at first and see how you get on.

Regards

Paul.
Old 23-03-2006, 11:44 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as paul said start small and dont over do it as you'll just injure yourself and the idea of running 5 odd miles at this stage will only put you off and you'll start making excuses not to do it. the key is to make it easy so its not a chore and as you progress you'll notice yourself being able to run further/longer and not find it such a dreaded task.

i started running nearly 2 years ago as i was getting very little cardio, when i first started my route it took me nearly 2 hours starting and stopping, the worst part was my knees getting used to the stain as i would be in agany for a few days after (having to slide down the stairs on my ass was amusing though)
but after a few weeks my recovery rate improved and it was no longer an issue. Now i run the same route in under 40mins (best times 36 ) which really isnt bad considering my size.

make sure you drink plenty of water after.
Old 26-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers Paul and Chris, just thinking about the weather alone is putting me off, but things got to be done at some stage

thanks again guys