Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Glutamine

Search this Thread

Old 19-02-2006, 09:58 AM
JimRS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glutamine

Morning.

Just came back to the gym and asked my Instructor a question about energy tablets, powder etc..

He has recommended Glutomine for me as i play Rugby, im gonna need alot of strength and energy to last 80mins

wondering if you boys know the best place to get it from off the net?
Old 19-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Try www.tropicanahealthandfitness.com Ive used them alot in the past and their pretty good IMO mate
Old 19-02-2006, 02:11 PM
JimRS

I have found this link. seems pretty reasonable for the amount you get

http://www.usn.co.uk/proddetail.php?...PARTNER=google
Old 20-02-2006, 09:10 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

....but always go for quality over cheapness!
Old 20-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Martinshuter
Regular Contributor

id rather go with ephedrine mate. by far the best thing for energy. you can literally run for over 90 mins and not even feel tired or fatigued. mad stuff.
Old 20-02-2006, 04:20 PM
JimRS

Originally Posted by Martinshuter
id rather go with ephedrine mate. by far the best thing for energy. you can literally run for over 90 mins and not even feel tired or fatigued. mad stuff.
cheeRS mate
Old 21-02-2006, 04:14 PM
JimRS

Just bought 2x 300gr L-Glutamine for 29.98 in Holland & Barretts
They are doing 50% off so i thought il get 2
Old 21-02-2006, 07:05 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I would stay well clear of ephedrine for a number of reasons:

1). Its suggested to encourage weight loss via supression of hunger, which for a bodybuilder/weight trainer/athlete would not help when your trying to consume alot of calories.

2.) Most studies state that it does not improve performance

3.) Most importantly, there is strong evidence to suggest it has seriously negative effects on health. The food and drug administration have recieved over 1000 reports staing the negative effects this supplement and supplments containing this subtance have, including: headaches, anxiety, insomnia, tiredness, increased blood pressure, hypertension and strokes. Alot is probably down to miss-use but some cases have been reported even in controlled experiments.

As for glutamine, it has very mixed reviews and personally I would encourage the use of carbohydrate drink ingestion and aequate water intake to optimise hydration status. This is because there is huge amount of evidence to state how hydration can effect performance and it is cheaper to do. Anyhow, thats my view, good luck
Old 22-02-2006, 10:46 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

My thoughts...

I would rate L-Glutamine and always have a tub in the cupboard,

60% of the free amino acids floating in the skeletal muscles is L-Glutamine, so it is very anti-catabolic, it helps with protein metabolism and can be used by the body as fuel.

As you may of worked out from the above statement (60%) the biggest and well known aspect is it's ability to limit muscle breakdown which can be helpfull if you are on a cutting phase, or "limited calories". I have even read reports where L-Glutamine is being used in hospitals to replenish the body after stress or trauma!

As a few of you keep pointing to studies, one such study showed that a 400% increase in growth hormone levels was shown when as little as 2g of the free form L-Glutamine was consumed.

There are no side effects associated with L-Glutamine, because it is a nutrient naturally found in the body but is depleted after the body is put through stress, as much as 50% can be depleted after intense training. I take 5g am - 5g Post - 5g PM and have done for some time now with no problems with upset stomach or such, but with all supplementation you should increase gradually.

When taking L-Glutamine, the First dose should be in the morning before breakfast in water for maximum transportation.

L-Glutamine cannot be taken at the same time as creatine as they both will compete for up take, so one will be excreted from you body WITHOUT BEING USED.

As for Energy pills, some of these work well, but I would also follow DaveMC's advise or...

....you should try say a strong and I mean strong cup of black coffee before you throw ya money away....this can be effective taken 40mins before a workout, ok it don't taste that good but can also help release the fat adipose tissue and help with fat loss as a bonus!. Many bodybuilders will take a strong coffee before AM cardio on an empty stomach to speed up the fat loss process.

Now the ECA.....Sod the studies.."it does improve performance", I'll post you 2 Dave
well it must be one of the most well known which I'm sure many on here including myself have used is the ECA Stack...Ephedrine Caffeine and Asprin, which was banned for some of the reasons stated by DaveMC...If taking this stack you should not exceed the stated dose, access your tolerance before taking the stated dose, and make yourself aware of the side effects if you abuse this substance! This Stack will supress your appetite and you will become dependant on them after a long period, do not take them after 1pm if you want to get to sleep at night!!. If you did manage to find some, it is out there!.... it must be the most effective thing you could use, but I am NOT recommending it, I would like to make that clear!

Sorry turned out a bit long that, but will be of interest to some.
Old 22-02-2006, 04:36 PM
DaveMCMkIII

Originally Posted by RSPTG
Now the ECA.....Sod the studies.."it does improve performance", I'll post you 2 Dave
what?lol dont sod the studies, the studies are the most valid and only acceptable info on things like supplements

Glutamine may work but then again it may not, there are few studies assessing the effects of glutamine in already trained, male, adult individuals using resisitance training. Below are the only ones I know of in trained subjects, showing no effects on a number of things inclusing performance. I must say though, these are only two studies so they do not really draw any foregone conclusions

http://www.springerlink.com/(dybpsgm...lts,1:100513,1

http://apt.allenpress.com/aptonline/...e=01&page=0157

People forget that a study may show increased performance using e,y and z, but if its not in subjects relevant to what your doing, whose to say itll have the same effect (e.g. substance x may increase strength in elderly hospital patients, but it may not in young male adults performing weight training). Heres an example below when you compare it to the studies above:

http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/131/9/2543S

In theory you think, more glutamine, greater protein synthesis, reduced risk of over training etc. But the more of something you take, doesnt nesserarly mean the more you'll improve. For example, protein, as we know, taking over a specific amount does not mean extra gains. This said, glutamine may work as there is evidence to suggest it, however theres also evidence that doesnt. Until there is further research into the effects on already trained subjects performing resistance training, I remain critical and except neither one or the other
Old 23-02-2006, 08:42 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by DaveMCMkIII
2.) Most studies state that it does not improve performance

:
Hi Dave,

Yes I do agree studies are helpfull and they are there for a reason so I could of worded that a little better. But I just don't agree with your No.2 statement above...it sounds miss leading, I was speaking from personal experience and stand by the following,

The ECA stack does improve performance Fact no matter what the studies say. You said you would stay clear of Ephedrine for some very good reasons and I understand that, but who ever can't say it does not improve performance in the correct ratio's a dose,... it does!, People on here have used it as many people across the world have to good effect. One of the main reasons it was banned along with the side effects etc was it's great effect as a weight loss supplement, that the pharmaceutical companies around the world were frightened they were missing out on raking in billions of pounds/dollars from a substance that was available of the shelf by jo public.

So yes there are some good and bad points against the ECA if abused but I still stand by the fact that it does improve performance as original posted by Martinshuter, no matter what the studies say.

Ref the L-Glutamine, well as you say you remain critical...fair enough, but this is still one of the most respected supplements on the market today and widely used in many products including the popular MR for one.

& my offer still stands by the way Dave then you can do your own study!
Old 23-02-2006, 09:15 AM
DaveMCMkIII

& my offer still stands by the way Dave then you can do your own study!
lol what was that?not a bad idea actually, you never know, i may actually do something along the glutamine lines

I werent saying it doesnt improve performance fact, i was saying it is 'suggested' it doesnt improve performance, as no study states there results 'show' they always 'suggest'. So RSPTG, where does your knowledge originate from, you appear to know more than the average body builder!
Old 23-02-2006, 09:46 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Hello Dave,

Understood mate..but the "suggested" is wrong!........leave it

My Knowledge? well, been into this for a while now and read to much...like yourself Was going to become a Nutritionist but I am greedy "excuse the pun" and not enough money in that game for me. Helped alot of people though who have succeeded and failed in there quest and just find it all fascinating how the human body can achieve such dramatic changes through food and exercise, I also know a few commited performers in the game so have learnt plenty from them, after all they are the most successful dieters on the planet!.

You?
Old 23-02-2006, 10:25 AM
DaveMCMkIII

i dont get this face whats it supposed to mean?

Im three months off completing my BSc hons sport and exercise science degree and applying for an MSc masters in exercise physiology for the start of october. So all the references to journals have come through the hundreds of hours reading them and been constantly brainwashed into reading them lol but thats science

Before christmas did some work with the uni on coventry godiva athletes, taking blood lactate samples for lactate threshold measurements, and then the other week just finished three/four weeks of hydration testing on the same athletes for my thesis. And because im mental ive just started training specifically for an event in july, so gotta fit all that in around studies
Old 23-02-2006, 10:51 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

wow..plenty of late night reading for you then Dave.

Sounds very interesting and I can see you will be an asset to this forum. Glad to have you aboard matey.

Good luck in completing your hons, and a masters....you must be mad.

Over and out., O'..... and one for you Dave
Old 23-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

All over my head, but....

= Crying with laughter.

Dont ask me why, but this is how we have come to use it, and it confuses a LOT of people im sure...
Old 23-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Good luck in completing your hons, and a masters....you must be mad.
Il second that, best of luck, madman " "
Old 23-02-2006, 12:35 PM
DaveMCMkIII

Cheers lads, thanks for having me on board, and yes i am probably am mad, but I love a good challenge (information to follow)
Old 25-02-2006, 06:03 AM
FAST AS FORD
PassionFord Regular

DaveMCMkIII

what?lol dont sod the studies, the studies are the most valid and only acceptable info on things like supplements
Unless of course the studies are paid for by the supplement companies themselves
Old 25-02-2006, 11:10 AM
DaveMCMkIII

Originally Posted by FAST AS FORD
DaveMCMkIII

Unless of course the studies are paid for by the supplement companies themselves
LOL all studies accepted by scientific peer reviewed journals cannot be internally funded (e.g. by supplement companies). If they were it could bias the study and thats why all references I use are from scientific journals, id fail all my work otherwise