Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

Help????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Anthony Du-rose
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help????????

Hello, new to this so apologies if Ive posted this in the wrong section, But need some serious help. Bare with me a this might take a little while to explain.

A friends car, A '98 MK4 1.25 Fiesta, has developed quite a major problem. Recently we lowered it, and now it has a really harsh vibration when you accelerate. Really bad in 1st, but lessens as you go through the gears. not so bad when your easy on the throttle, But really bad when you nail it. It shakes the whole car, But only under acceleration.

We've checked all our work to make sure nothing was left undone or not put back correctly. Everything is fine. Its recently had New front shocks, drop links, lower arms track rod ends front bearings, New C.V joints, Suspension top mounts, Roll bar bushes etc the lot. The front end is prety much all new.

The vibration was there before we lowered it, But no where as noticeable as bad as it is now. We've checked everything, on the front end to ruel out anything being loose, Even changed the rear dog bone support.

the only thing that hasnt been changed been is the Drive shafts. But we did get another from a breakers on the passenger side, But haven't changed the drivers side drive shaft. But both outer C.V's have been for new ones. We've checked the engine mounts for excessive movement, nothing major or out of the ordinary no perished rubber etc. Even Put different wheels, We knew were sweet to rule out out of balnce wheels, Or egg shaped tyres.

Any ideas as we are stumped, Personally I owned a MK5 Fez and know almost every inch of the MK4/MK5 fiesta, and i cant think of any other possibles except,

Half shaft bearing?
the drivers side drive shaft?
DIff bearings?
Or the actual gearbox itself?

No warped discs, Loose calipers Both Hub nuts are done up proper tight. Obviously lowered it so i have checked that drive shafts don't hit any Body panels or come in contact with anything else.

I hope someone can shed some light on this as i'm really at dead end now????
Old 07-04-2014, 06:01 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

when any car has a rattle/rumble stiffening or lowering the car tightens things up and amplify's the issue, could be something as simple as brake pipe flexi hose or even a wheel bearing apart from your other suggested causes
Old 07-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Churtz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Shuddering under accel is normally inner cv's. Especially as its worsened after lowering it.... Remember that changes the angle on the cv.

Matt
Old 07-04-2014, 09:37 AM
St3V3_C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Inner CV's is my vote too - reading it sounds like they haven't been changed?
Old 07-04-2014, 11:37 AM
HaggisTurbo
PassionFord Regular

DriveShaft on the drivers side,

Mine did that once I had done work on it and weird thing is that it felt like the passengers side but was drivers shaft that needed fixed. it was the join half way down the shaft, the tripod had broken down.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM
HaggisTurbo
PassionFord Regular

Depending on the price at the breakers I would maybe just price a drivers shaft rather than get your old one fixed?