Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

When should the Timing Belt be changed on a Fiesta Zetec S

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2011, 08:33 AM
davidnormanuk
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should the Timing Belt be changed on a Fiesta Zetec S

Hi all,

I have a Fiesta Zetec S TDCi on a 2006 and wondered when the timing belt should be changed. The mileage at the minute is just short of 75k.

Cheers
Dave
Old 25-05-2011, 08:40 AM
callummarshall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

not sure about the mk6 the mk5 needs it changed at 100k or 10 years would think it would be similar
Old 25-05-2011, 09:07 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by callummarshall
not sure about the mk6 the mk5 needs it changed at 100k or 10 years would think it would be similar
The OP has a diesel mate, totally different engine

But I think its 100k or ten years too

Last edited by It's Czech Mate; 25-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 25-05-2011, 04:58 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Officially 10 years, or 100,000, which ever is first, do so at your peril, personally I'd be getting it done every 50,000, 5 years, a belt is a LOT cheaper than an engine.
tabetha
Old 25-05-2011, 06:08 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by tabetha
Officially 10 years, or 100,000, which ever is first, do so at your peril, personally I'd be getting it done every 50,000, 5 years, a belt is a LOT cheaper than an engine.
tabetha

Youre like a broken record mate. On CVH's the cambelt is practically a service item, but that was a long time ago

On the modern engines, well, go ask some dealers or garages how often they have cambelts snap under the intervals rather than spouting toss with no facts
Old 25-05-2011, 06:12 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

certainly with zetec engines they have the same 100k or 10 years but its usually the tensioners that fail so personally i'd leave it no later than 80-85k.

imho tabethas 50k interval is a little overkill.
Old 25-05-2011, 06:14 PM
yellowsierra
Advanced PassionFord User

Cant believe you are asking such question as a broken belt will cost you far more than the £150 ish it will cost to have the belt done.

How much is peice of mind ??

If your car has done over 40k and on its original belt, get it done

Thats just my view anyway

Regards
Ian
Old 25-05-2011, 06:23 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by yellowsierra
If your car has done over 40k and on its original belt, get it done

Old 25-05-2011, 07:06 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
Youre like a broken record mate. On CVH's the cambelt is practically a service item, but that was a long time ago

On the modern engines, well, go ask some dealers or garages how often they have cambelts snap under the intervals rather than spouting toss with no facts
I've done many belts that have snapped WAY before their "time", the last one cost just shy of £1400 to fix the damage, frankly I couldn't give a toss if some penny pincher wants to chance it, or what your opinion is, trust me you mean nothing to me.
FACT, longer service intervals were introduced by manufacturers as a selling point, mostly with NO material change, does that mean we were being ripped off before by dealers ?.
A good case in point is vauxhalls backtrack on their 80K change, they saw many snap before half that mileage.
Imo it's like taking a bet, some you win some you lose, there's nothing new material wise in belts, but suddenly they last longer, work it out.
tabetha
Old 25-05-2011, 08:27 PM
It's Czech Mate

Tabs, as far as modern fords are concerned youre talking shit, end of
Old 26-05-2011, 07:43 AM
davidnormanuk
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Thanks for the info and the entertaining read
Old 26-05-2011, 09:15 AM
sdk

If your going to go with what ford say its 100k I've had 2 fiestas and both were fine up to 100k, there's no harm in changing it a little earlyer though.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
moznotwoz
Virgin

Default zetec cambelt replacement

Just read the piffle regarding cam belt change intervals and i'm sorry guys i'm with Tabetha on this one. Ive worked at development for Ford and Vauxhall and the only thing thats changed regardings materials and components is the manufacturers catering for minge bags who cant afford to run the vehicle theyve bought, hence extended intervals. 100k cam belts, oil intervals in excess of 50k and lifetime warranties that are so unrealistic in their conditions its inpractical!! Theres a very old saying 'tyres on most buses have dunlop india stamped on the sidewall'. It doesnt mean that thats where theyve come from or thats where the bus is going!!!!!.
100k cambelt change?? Good luck with that one guys, dont say we didnt warn you.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM
stevee10001

Iv got a 56 TDCI and the workshop manual says every 10 years or 100,000 miles but i am planning on doing mine this march and im only on 50,000!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by moznotwoz
Just read the piffle regarding cam belt change intervals and i'm sorry guys i'm with Tabetha on this one. Ive worked at development for Ford and Vauxhall and the only thing thats changed regardings materials and components is the manufacturers catering for minge bags who cant afford to run the vehicle theyve bought, hence extended intervals. 100k cam belts, oil intervals in excess of 50k and lifetime warranties that are so unrealistic in their conditions its inpractical!! Theres a very old saying 'tyres on most buses have dunlop india stamped on the sidewall'. It doesnt mean that thats where theyve come from or thats where the bus is going!!!!!.
100k cambelt change?? Good luck with that one guys, dont say we didnt warn you.

Work for Ford maybe, know anything...... my ass
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Bad Boy Al

I've a timing belt book that covers most motors. If your undecided still, you want me to look.
Personally do it sooner than later.
Cheaper than a engine.

Al
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 PM
cossiejay
Advanced PassionFord User

before it snaps lol
Old 05-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Twizz
Out of many, we are one.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uncle has a 55 plate Fiesta... Fords called up him after his service and said he should be thinking of booking his Fiesta in for a cambelt - its done 51000 miles...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:59 AM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by Twizz
Uncle has a 55 plate Fiesta... Fords called up him after his service and said he should be thinking of booking his Fiesta in for a cambelt - its done 51000 miles...
Of course the dealer will ask them to do it early, they want the cash just look at the handbook for the intervals. It's not printed for a laugh.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
moznotwoz
Virgin

Default timing belt

Nope Czech Mate is dead right, the books not printed for a laugh, its printed to passify MINGE BAGS. One thing I will ask is this.
If you dont change your cambelt at a realistic interval and it fails will all the ale house mechanics club together to cover the cost of the repairs following its failure or will they go to a different thread with their vast amount of knowledge that theyve gleaned from messing about with thier cars on a sunday on the drive.
The answer is no and really does any of this matter?? If you are graced with a basic amount of common sense its best to use your own judgement on this one. Personally id follow the majority and let the rest sit back and dream of skoda's breaking the sound barrier
Old 10-01-2013, 09:34 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mongnotwaz obviously didnt learn much on his placement at ford for the fucking mentally retarded

Lol at pub mechanic, i'm an accountant Part of my job for ten years has been looking after a large fleet of cars, of which many are common makes/models. I have more experience of servicing costs, risks and intervals than you can dream of in your pretend job so I am well aware of when a cambelt needs doing compared to what it says in the handbook.

The only reason your dealer has told you to change it before the recommended age or mileage is because he saw you coming you mug

Why dont you take your two posts and fuck off back where you came from you cretin
Old 13-01-2013, 06:21 PM
moznotwoz
Virgin

Christ Czech do you normally get this wound up if someone doesn't agree with your advice? You need to have a look back on this thread and see just how stressed you get if your OPINION isn't taken as gospel!
Additionally where about on any of this link have I suggested that i've been advised by any dealer or garage to replace the belt on the car?
Great your an ACCOUNTANT personally id have left that bit of info out of the discussion, it hardly qualifies you to be as derogatory as you are regardless of what you account or who you do it for. However I get that you have an opinion just like everyone else on this site but that's all it is, an opinion, just like mine and opinions are like belly buttons, everyone's got one and non of them hold much water!
Stop ranting mate and do what you do best and i'll go back to running a workshop carrying out hands on repair work for fleet companies and leasing companies probably like the one you account for!
Old 13-01-2013, 07:20 PM
moznotwoz
Virgin

Oh and before you launch into another rant telling others that their talking shit of telling them to f off, lets just clear a few points up.
I never had a PLACEMENT at ford I applied for the job and was fortunate enough to get it, following that I left for a better offer. That was a good number of years ago and yes, plenty has changed since then but I've remained in the trade and now run a franchised workshop dealing with all the headaches both you and every other fleet manager, lease controller, maintenance administrator or accountant have to deal with on a daily basis.
Lex, HSBC autolease, zenith and Branning are just a few and I've probably over stepped the mark by mentioning them however sometimes mate you need to appreciate that not everyone is a retard because they don't adhere to your opinion.
I also anticipate that your next tantrum will be wanting to know why I came on this thread if I have this experience. Well its quite simple, one of the fitters where carrying out a service and investigation of a reported noise on a 1.4 zetec for a company. Following a strip down it turned out that it was cam belt back lash catching the upper cover?? Turns out that for no valid mechanical or component reason, the belt had started delaminating. I wont explain' I'm sure you know what that is.
Any way a discussion ensued in the canteen as to recommended intervals and our new boy pipes up facts and figures including mention of this site so I thought i'd see if anyone else had experienced this.
The car had 48,000mls on it water pump and tensioner fine and no debri evident, quite simply the belt has deteriorated.
If this hadn't been found, well based on your position you know what the end result would have been and Ford wouldn't have give a monkeys regardless of their recommended interval. So as you can see its quite simply a case of leave and chance it or change it and have piece of mind.
I've seen cambelts make it to well over 100,000k more by good luck not good judgement but come on mate if you do, the job you say, even you must get that stuff like this is a lottery.
You have a job to account for every penny spent to make the fleet cost effective and based on some of the squandering of cash I've seen by lease companies due to the drivers abusing their vehicles in the past, I think its time companies got a tighter reign on their outgoings.
However as I've said its my opinion and its as valid as yours and neither of them will convince anyone if they don't want to listen.

Last edited by moznotwoz; 13-01-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 13-01-2013, 09:08 PM
It's Czech Mate

Its not my OPINION pal its in the handbook and frankly is backed up by plenty of experience, funny how you came on saying you worked at ford and now you happen to run a workshop dealing with fleet managers, now lets check the wordcount for who gets stressed

The 2% of my job that was dealing with the cars was keeping the fleet mobile, nothing to do with penny pinching and stretching intervals, there was plenty of budget for that as it was important

I cannot name a make/model where the cambelt or auxilliarys fail with ANY pattern or regularity before the suggested interval and neither can you despite your insistance the suggested intervals are too short. I've seen a few due to manufacturing defects which could happen to any part but thats random and part of life.

Its ridiculous advising people to change at fiesta at 50k like Tabetha was, its a lot of money for fuck all and bad advice
Old 14-01-2013, 08:46 AM
moznotwoz
Virgin

I've WORKED and I WORK are post and present tense in that order!! Read the thread a couple of times before you start ranting. The way your carrying on anyone would think you where being held responsible for writing the service schedules??
Youve made a valid statement in your third paragraph and I agree with you, but based on that, do you take a chance and leave something or do a bit of preventative?? Its an individual choice.
Lets just leave it where it is because we could argue the toss over issues like this till the cows come home.
And for the record do you not think its odd that through any of this I havnt doubted either your ability or your job position and title. I dont know you, you dont know me!! And based on that perhaps we actually both do the jobs we say we do and we aint going to get any brownie points whether we are right or wrong over anything. So lets just leave it there mate its been interesting but i'm sure we could use both our opinions to do something better.
Old 14-01-2013, 09:04 AM
big.p

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello gents i dont want to upset the apple cart but the tdci belts are due at 125,ooo or ten years
Old 14-01-2013, 10:49 AM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Just because something is written in a handbook it doesn't mean that it is to be taken as gospel

There are a whole variety of factors that effect it, including driving style, type of journey, temperature etc.

Would you really go 100K on a timing belt, because I know I and plenty of others wouldn't?

So just because you may do this, it's not bad advise if others advocate changing it earlier!

Martin
Old 14-01-2013, 02:25 PM
moznotwoz
Virgin

That was my point all along, however it turned into a bit of a slanging match!
However I totally agree. Worcester Bosch recently fitted a boiler for me with 3 years warranty on it however 7 months on and its on its second major component. I'm sure they where confident at the time of manufacture that it would have cleared the 3 years without any costly failure, In this case it didnt.
Thanks for the input
Old 21-05-2015, 09:42 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

so at 95000 miles i'm ok with the current belt on my 1.4 then?

or should i change it like right now?

it's not a diseasal or even a zetec s, just a fiesta mk6.5?

it's amazing what google comes up with when you are waiting for it to point you to ebay
Old 21-05-2015, 12:44 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by dojj
so at 95000 miles i'm ok with the current belt on my 1.4 then?

or should i change it like right now?

it's not a diseasal or even a zetec s, just a fiesta mk6.5?

it's amazing what google comes up with when you are waiting for it to point you to ebay
@95k youre so close to the interval you may as well change it, its not like its 5 years old and on 50k
Old 23-05-2015, 08:28 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

It's OK, I've got a time machine

How much is it going to cost though? Because my 1.25 days it needs a belt ever 125k or 10 years